***Day 2 MLB Draft Thread Rounds 3-10***

bmags

Players I like

Ryan Pepiot

Edit: lost all my stuff wait a minute

Notes:

Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 205 | B-T: R-R 
Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted 
Scouting Report: On the right day, Pepiot is a strike-thrower in complete command. But Pepiot also struggles with timing issues in his delivery at times and when that happens, his outings can go south quickly. Pepiot had a four-start stretch earlier this year when he struck out 39 and walked only one. He’d topped double digits in strikeouts five times by early May and ranked among the top 10 in Division I in strikeouts. But he followed that excellent stretch by walking seven in only 3.2 innings in his next start. A few starts later, he again walked seven while also hitting two batters. There is a minor head whack in Pepiot’s delivery, but he has long enough stretches of solid control to project that he may one day sort out his stretches of wildness with additional innings and maturity. Pepiot is a big-bodied righthander who can attack hitters with a 91-93 mph fastball that touches 95-96 mph. His changeup is a plus pitch as well, but one that multiple evaluators mentioned he relies on too often. It might actually be a little more effective in pro ball if he begins to use it a little more sparingly and uses his fringe-average, 80-82 mph slider and fringe-average, mid-70s curveball more often. Both will flash average or better as Pepiot shows a feel for spin, but he doesn’t use them all that much. That’s due, in part, because he doesn’t consistently locate them. Pepiot will likely go out in pro ball as a starter, but he has a solid fallback option as a power reliever with enough fastball, an ability to spin a breaking ball and a plus changeup.

Ivan Johnson

Commit/Drafted: South Carolina 
Scouting Report: Johnson ranked No. 473 on the 2017 BA 500 out of Kennesaw (Ga.) Mountain High after showing solid defensive actions at shortstop and performing well against some of the class’ top prep pitchers. However, he went undrafted and instead made it to campus at Georgia, where Johnson struggled, hitting just .239/.314/.283 with a 38 percent strikeout rate in 46 at-bats. Following that season, Johnson transferred to Chipola (Fla.) JC for the 2019 campaign, where he led the team in each triple-slash category—hitting .389/.500/.606 with nine home runs, 33 walks and 37 strikeouts in 55 games. Johnson looked more physical during the fall and that has shown up in his power production, which is at least average in games with plus raw power. Johnson’s swing works well from both sides, with quick hands that can catch up to velocity, although he sometimes struggles with offspeed offerings on the outer half of the plate as a lefthanded hitter. There is some length to his swing at times—and scouts will certainly not forget about the strikeout rate he showed during his brief look with Georgia—but most scouts grade his hit tool as a 50 after what he’s shown this spring. Johnson has split time at shortstop and second base for Chipola. He has the defensive actions to handle shortstop, but, as an average runner, he might be a more ideal fit as a second baseman. Johnson performed well in front of high-level decision-makers this spring and could go off the board early on Day 2.

12 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There are some interesting colege arms on the board (Miller,Cronin, Song) but it would be damn hard to pass on Tyler Callihan if he'd sign for 3rd round money.

With Sing not going day 1 I worry that means most expect him to serve (also Noah, thank you for serving)

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

To be specific in the draft years 2016, 2017, and 2018, rounds 1thru 40 only Hamilton has been up to the major league team.

Well, Collins will be up this year and Burger had his leg amputated, so I'm not sure what you're expecting. 

5 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I'm looking for us to take the local boy (Mike Prosecky) sometime today. His favorite team is the White Sox too. 

Miller's arm is the goods. I like Dalton Fowler alot too.

With #81, #110, #140, #170 and #200 the Sox still can look to add considerable talent to the organization. Plenty of reason to tune in today.

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The guy I'm most interested to see where he goes is Michael Massey.  He's a 2nd round talent with off the charts makeup but has a back injury that teams are obviously dinging him for.  We've seen what back injuries can do to players (Joe Crede, Brent Morel) but if there's a kid to take a chance on it's Mass.  

His BA writeup was so positive it was hard to understand why he was ranked 130 or so

3 minutes ago, Dunt said:

Osmond with the 3rd rd pick plz.  Would make sense too, goes to Jenks HS i in OK where the Sox have dipped before.

I would like this, too.

I also think Spencer Jones would be super interesting but talk about a guy I don't know if they org could develop

1 hour ago, whitesoxbrad said:

I believe from the last 3 drafts only the reliever Hamilton has sniffed the major leagues, very troublesome!

Zavala made it up to majors. We will be seeing Collins and Mendick shortly as well. It's early for 2017 or 2018. 

1 minute ago, Dunt said:

Osmond with the 3rd rd pick plz.  Would make sense too, goes to Jenks HS in OK where the Sox have dipped before.

Cade Doughty | Rank: 109

School: Denham Springs (La.) HSYear: SeniorPosition: SSAge: 18 DOB: 3/26/2001Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6'1" Weight: 195 lb.Commitment: Louisiana State

WATCH 

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 45 | Run: 55 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45

Denham Springs (La.) High has produced Ben McDonald, Russ Johnson and Travis Swaggerty, all of whom blossomed into first-round picks after attending college. The Yellow Jackets' latest star is Doughty, who could follow the same path if he makes it to Louisiana State. How much teams buy into his power potential will determine if he goes high enough in the 2019 Draft to divert him from Baton Rouge.

Doughty is an advanced hitter for a high schooler, showing nice feel for the barrel while employing a compact, quick right-handed swing. He has a controlled approach that mainly produces line drives but he also has room to add 20 pounds of muscle to his 6-foot-1 frame. Though Gatorade's 2019 Louisiana high school player of the year presently has below-average pop, he could develop into a 20-homer threat if he gets stronger and more aggressive.

Doughty can generate some plus run times but figures to lose a step as he matures physically. His quick hands and plus arm allow him to make plays at shortstop, though he probably will wind up at second or third base as he slows down a bit. Adding more power would help him profile better at a less challenging defensive position.

This is the sort of player that would make for a very interesting third round pick. A developmental prospect with the upside to develop into a regular. 

• bmags unpinned this topic