***Day 2 MLB Draft Thread Rounds 3-10***

bmags

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

So, is this where they save a little extra money? Offer the kid some nominal amount and if he doesn't take it, use all of that money to sign the tough signees. Is that permissible?

Seniors like Metzdorf have zero leverage against taking a drastically lower bonus amount. Sox can likely get him signed for $10-20,000 vs. slot of $390,000.00 = big savings 

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

yeah, about 10K is the going rate for a 4 year senior. you either take it or don't extend your career. 

Believe me, the Sox called the kid first and asked if he's willing to take $10,000. No way they risk losing $390,000 of valuable bonus pool

They will need it to sign Thompson, definitely Dalquist, and possibly Beard

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

yeah, about 10K is the going rate for a 4 year senior. you either take it or don't extend your career. 

I'm willing to guess that these guys take the money, go play rookie ball for a half season, and if they can't cut it go do non-athlete adulting stuff. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

Believe me, the Sox called the kid first and asked if he's willing to take $10,000. No way they risk losing $390,000 of valuable bonus pool

They will need it to sign Thompson, definitely Dalquist, and possibly Beard

I understand paying over-slot to Dalquist and Beard, but Thompson was picked ahead of most projections.

If a player refuses to take the offer, how long must he wait, before he can try to sign with a team, outside of the Draft, in the same manner that an undrafted college football player can "walk on"? Not that there would be any advantage to him doing that, but I'm trying to gain a better understanding of the process.

Edited by Lillian

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

If a player refuses to take the offer, how long must he wait, before he can try to sign with a team, outside of the Draft, in the same manner that an undrafted college football player can "walk on"?

A high school player refusing to sign would mean he has opted to honor his college commitment. They are typically draft eligible again after their junior season of college. 

Most players selected in the high rounds end up signing, they forego a ton of money by not

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

Do Sox do a few more sign guys and then go after Osmond? Any chance Barco is worth a chance even with Injury? 

And does anyone risk Maurice Hampton at this point? His tweet is gone, but his twitter cover image is him in the LSU jersey...

Those guys will get drafted in rounds 11-15, and won't sign. 

• Like 1

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

Do Sox do a few more sign guys and then go after Osmond? Any chance Barco is worth a chance even with Injury? 

And does anyone risk Maurice Hampton at this point? His tweet is gone, but his twitter cover image is him in the LSU jersey...

5th round senior pick was a must, likely to help sign Dalquist. I'd bet they look to the college ranks in round 6

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• bmags unpinned this topic