***Day 2 MLB Draft Thread Rounds 3-10***

bmags

Tyler Schlaffer was just drafted by the Cubs. He's from Homewood right up the road from my mom. Heard about him actually from my mother's neighbor (her son) who went to high school (Flossmoor) with him. Completely forgot he was even in this draft. Congrats to him. 

Edited by SoxAce

13 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Tyler Schlaffer was just drafted by the Cubs. He's from Homewood right up the road from my mom. Heard about him actually from my mother's neighbor (her son) who went to high school (Flossmoor) with him. Completely forgot he was even in this draft. Congrats to him. 

wow small fucking world my first college GF was from Homewood.  Her dad was the principle at Flossmoor when we were dating.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Lord you can tell some of the newbs here who don't understand how this process works in the draft. Been like this for a while. 

Except it hasn't. We just took 6 senior signs in a row.

In 2018, we took 2 and they went in the 9th & 10th rounds

In 2017, we took 2 and they went in the 9th & 10th rounds

In 2016, we took 3 and they went in the 4th, 9th, & 10th rounds

In 2015, we took 4 and they went in the 5th, 7th, 9th, & 10th rounds

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I just remember thinking how cool there's a place called "homewood flossmoor".

The high school is called that. That's it. The towns are separately called Homewood and Flossmoor

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

wow small fucking world my first college GF was from Homewood.  Her dad was the principle at Flossmoor when we were dating.  

Chuck Garfein and Jason Benetti also went to HF

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That's pretty cool man. I'm not from over there at all, but my mom moved there a few years back. My little brother went to Bloom. He knows kids from there, Flossmoor, etc. from high school parties, fairs, skate park, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

The high school is called that. That's it. The towns are separately called Homewood and Flossmoor

So did Scott Merkin and numerous other media personalities 

8 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Except it hasn't. We just took 6 senior signs in a row.

In 2018, we took 2 and they went in the 9th & 10th rounds

In 2017, we took 2 and they went in the 9th & 10th rounds

In 2016, we took 3 and they went in the 4th, 9th, & 10th rounds

In 2015, we took 4 and they went in the 5th, 7th, 9th, & 10th rounds

They were arguing the "useless" senior signings in the later rounds, not how many. 

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

That's pretty cool man. I'm not from over there at all, but my mom moved there a few years back. My little brother went to Bloom. He knows kids from there, Flossmoor, etc. from high school parties, fairs, skate park, etc.

I have great memories of that summer spent largely in Chicago, it must have been 2003 my freshman year, such a fun time to be young and in a big city.  Now I feel old and tired.  Oh well.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I want to say either Herb Lawrence or Lawrence Holmes also went there 

14 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

How cute:  the name of the town is also good dental advice.:)

Edited by bubba phillips
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

So it looks like the Sox, in order to go overslot/HS for picks 2 and 3, punted the entire rest of the draft.

Interesting. Might be a good call, especially for an org that isn't great at finding value late.

Sounds like I didn’t miss much. I’m fine with it though, I really liked rounds 3 and 4, though it’s not the best draft ever. 

I would say if his 17/18/19 drafts I’d say this is most likely to produce multiple starters.

34 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I want to say either Herb Lawrence or Lawrence Holmes also went there 

I want to say all of Laurence Holmes, Scott Merkin. Chuck Garfien and Jason Benetti all went there. The school is really well-regarded and has programs for media and other arts that have been recognized. 

26 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

So it looks like the Sox, in order to go overslot/HS for picks 2 and 3, punted the entire rest of the draft.

Interesting. Might be a good call, especially for an org that isn't great at finding value late.

Day 2 of the draft yes. I bet they sign multiple players overslot tomorrow. We need to look at the totality of the class. 

• Like 2

For those that are confused, I have a thread on my twitter feed at @JamesFox917 explaining today's process. They spent like $60K on rounds 5-10. It's very likely that most of the players drafted tomorrow will be better than those guys. They can pay everyone $125K tomorrow and it doesn't count against the pool. They'll make a few overslot signings and the class will look much better. This is just the way this process works. Especially without comp picks. 

• Like 2

• bmags unpinned this topic