***Day 2 MLB Draft Thread Rounds 3-10***

bmags

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's hard to read articles like this and not come to the conclusion that the competitive balance picks are such a huge advantage:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/day-1-draft-review/

Sox have gotten screwed by comp picks for years. The league honestly needs to do away with a built in draft advantage for certain clubs that others will never have access to. 

Can you imagine if the NFL gave 6-8 teams an extra second and third round pick in perpetuity? 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

Sox have gotten screwed by comp picks for years. The league honestly needs to do away with a built in draft advantage for certain clubs that others will never have access to. 

Can you imagine if the NFL gave 6-8 teams an extra second and third round pick in perpetuity? 

Seriously.

One needs only to look at the effect of the attached picks in free agency to recognize the huge value draft picks hold now.

To give a free top 40 pick to some clubs every year, especially when now so many of them are successful, is ridiculous.

Give them additional 5th/6th/7th round picks or something.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's hard to read articles like this and not come to the conclusion that the competitive balance picks are such a huge advantage:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/day-1-draft-review/

I hope competitive balance picks are thrown away in the next CBA. They have to find something better than rewarding teams for being in a small market. 

1 minute ago, HoosierSox said:

I hope competitive balance picks are thrown away in the next CBA. They have to find something better than rewarding teams for being in a small market. 

They have cost controlled so much of team development: international, draft slotting along with excellent league health and revenue sharing, and a general trend by even big teams to build from within that I have to ask what exactly needs to be scaled further for the small market teams?

You want to talk about tanking, well, for these small market teams what encourages tanking more than giving them the possibility of 3 picks in the top 45 in a rebuild?

I'm with you, if they get an international draft they need to throw it out. 

Like, I like the sox draft, imagine if we also got to have board favorites fletcher, hampton or some of the SS like nunez or paris...not instead of thompson, but in addition to?

It's so dumb.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Seriously.

One needs only to look at the effect of the attached picks in free agency to recognize the huge value draft picks hold now.

To give a free top 40 pick to some clubs every year, especially when now so many of them are successful, is ridiculous.

Give them additional 5th/6th/7th round picks or something.

I totally agree. The picks and additional draft pool money is incredibly valuable. While the draft can be a crapshoot to a large extent, having the additional bonus pool money provides huge flexibility. 

Give smaller market teams an additional 5th, 7th or 7th round pick, but picks in the 30's are too valuable in the modern MLB

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-draft-top-15-prospects-entering-day-2/

I don't know if this is unlocked or not but BAs top 15 (I'm not as big on their top 15, but the top 6 would certainly be tantalizing.

Allan/Leiter/Barco/Hampton/Callihan/Lee. Seems like Hampton, Barco and Callihan are the only possible (if hamptons deleted tweet means he's back in play).

They have cost controlled so much of team development: international, draft slotting along with excellent league health and revenue sharing, and a general trend by even big teams to build from within that I have to ask what exactly needs to be scaled further for the small market teams?

You want to talk about tanking, well, for these small market teams what encourages tanking more than giving them the possibility of 3 picks in the top 45 in a rebuild?

I'm with you, if they get an international draft they need to throw it out. 

Like, I like the sox draft, imagine if we also got to have board favorites fletcher, hampton or some of the SS like nunez or paris...not instead of thompson, but in addition to?

It's so dumb.

The current MLB so heavily rewards tanking it's crazy. A lottery system and/or salary floor would discourage teams from flat out tanking for the #1 overall pick. 

Ryan Dalquist is interesting too. I like when I see athletic and easy motion, mainly . because I like when ptatc likes pitchers:

An athletic, 6-foot-2, 170-pound righthander, Dalquist has impressed Southern California area scouts with his loose, easy delivery and starter’s attributes despite being slightly undersized. He has a three-pitch mix, all of which have a chance to be at least average, led by an above-average fastball that sits in the 90-94 mph range. He’s been used out of the bullpen at times for his high school, which confused some evaluators because most think he projects as a starter due to his solid breaking ball and changeup. Dalquist gets out on his front side well during his delivery and has some deception. While Dalquist’s pure stuff doesn’t have the explosiveness of other prep arms ranked around him, the complete package and the ease of his operation is appealing to clubs, as is his advanced strike-throwing ability and athleticism. He is committed to Arizona and is expected to be a tough sign.

Ryan Dalquist is interesting too. I like when I see athletic and easy motion, mainly . because I like when ptatc likes pitchers:

An athletic, 6-foot-2, 170-pound righthander, Dalquist has impressed Southern California area scouts with his loose, easy delivery and starter’s attributes despite being slightly undersized. He has a three-pitch mix, all of which have a chance to be at least average, led by an above-average fastball that sits in the 90-94 mph range. He’s been used out of the bullpen at times for his high school, which confused some evaluators because most think he projects as a starter due to his solid breaking ball and changeup. Dalquist gets out on his front side well during his delivery and has some deception. While Dalquist’s pure stuff doesn’t have the explosiveness of other prep arms ranked around him, the complete package and the ease of his operation is appealing to clubs, as is his advanced strike-throwing ability and athleticism. He is committed to Arizona and is expected to be a tough sign.

Potential signability concerns? 

Just now, steveno89 said:

Potential signability concerns? 

I don't know how much money we have but just one of those things where if we select him I assume we can sign him.

Hello everyone do you like comps? 

Jamari Baylor:

TLDR

Has quietly popped-up in Virginia and is drawing comparisons to Tim Anderson; loud bat speed but opinions vary pretty widely about where he should be selected.

4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Would remind me of the Hansen pick (a guy who had it all there but the wheels came off). 

Stinson's problem is that hes not in shape (round). Also major velo concerns. Could be a god closer though if the velo returns

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

I like him because he sounds like a hockey player so if it fails here perhaps he can help the Blackhawks

4 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

Stinson's problem is that hes not in shape (round). Also major velo concerns. Could be a god closer though if the velo returns

I mean both guys are big, not very athletic and have trouble repeating their deliveries. Great stuff though. Hansen is probably more of a head case though.

On 4/19/2019 at 12:14 PM, WBWSF said:

The lineup is certainly something to be upbeat about. Still, I wish I could feel the same way about the starting pitching. I'm afraid that Hahn will trade off some of the young talent for some old pitching.

I honestly don't see RH moving top guys unless he absolutely has to due to Rule 5 factor (Believe Adolfo is approaching)

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I would love if Hampton took down his LSU tweet based off of a Sox commit but otherwise looking at likely college pitching I’d guess.

Absolute KW guy, but plot twist, I support it...I like the round 3 talent more than 2

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Jack Leiter (if likely to sign) would be a hell of a steal, Drew Mendoza is kinda interesting, but Will Holland is my guy, would love him

Noah Song also interesting

Stinson of Duke would be a steal as well

Cronin and Hess also interesting relievers

Hampton seems a strong possibility today

48 minutes ago, Dunt said:

Osmond with the 3rd rd pick plz.  Would make sense too, goes to Jenks HS in OK where the Sox have dipped before.

As I was watching KAN last week, it hit me that CWS has strong Oklahoma connections (Michalczewski, Zangari, Jake Elliot, J.B. Olson, Steele Walker, Lane Ramsey, Taylor Varnell)

37 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think the White Sox are destined to take Graeme Stinson, right? 

Would support that fully

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Noah Song also interesting

Most teams would love to get Song...but not knowing when he could actually be available to you is the problem. How many years before he could actually play given his military commitment?...2 years?  4?

Hitters I like:

Maurice Hampton - I think we've talked about him enough.

Jordan Brewer - College popup guy that has more potential than most college guys still available, but limited track record. Could be a 20-20 CF. I honestly don't know how he is still available.

Jake Sanford - Similar to Brewer, but against lesser competition. Has more power, but is probably LF instead of a possible CF like Brewer.

Hudson Head - Good feel for the barrel and plus speed, but someone needs to get this kid a cheeseburger because it looks like a stiff wind could break him in half. If you can put some muscle on him, I feel like he could develop good power. I guess the questions are how much bigger can he get and what will that do to his speed. Toolsy upside pick favorite.

Dasan Brown - Young Canadian outfielder that has good twitch, bat speed and foot speed. Struggled a bit this year, but was also facing teams with professionals so he was probably just overmatched. Toolsy upside pick favorite.

Edouard Julien - He is a 20 year old, sophomore eligible college player than could possibly play second, hit 17 homers as a freshmen, broke Frank Thomas freshman record for RBI (that doesn't really mean much, but its a fun connection), and is only 7 months older than Brett Baty. He has real questions about his contact rates, but he has power and more upside than most college guys considering the only reason he is in the draft is because of a loophole and really he should be a younger junior next year.

Colin Barber - HS hitter with average or better tools across the board. Needs to refine his approach because he guesses at times which leads to swing and miss. Hopefully that is something he gets rid of when he is no longer trying to impress scouts. I like his bat speed and I think he could have some real power if he got better hip activation with his swing.

Carter Young - Probably going to Vandy, but he is going to be a guy we are talking about in three years as a guy with good contact and command of the zone who could probably stick in the middle of the dirt, has average power, good hands, great leadership qualities. He was one of the only non-seniors on Team USA 18U in 2017, but then didn't do as well in 2018 and scouts kind of wrote him off and then he went back to the northwest where its more difficult to get looks at him.

Dominic Canzone - Dinged for his weird swing, but tied school record for consecutive games getting on base with 51. Developed power this year when he added more loft to his swing. I think he could have solid average and power, though he is limited to left. 

James Beard - Fastest guy in the draft. Truly elite speed. If he can hit at all, he could be a scary threat with his ability to steal bases. Basically a second change at developing Adam Engel, but maybe even faster.

Pitchers I like:

Spencer Jones - Tall lefty that you can dream on. Might be too late to get him away from college. Is also a good hitter, so he has that as a backup if he can't make it as a pitcher.

Tyler Dyson - Could have been another first round pitcher from UF if he had performed, but he struggled this year but came on in the last few weeks. If there is some actual change in that time the scouts can identify, he could be a steal even in the third round.

Kyle Brnovich - Maybe the single best breaking ball in the class. With the trend of throwing much more breaking pitches instead of fastballs, I think he can get away with an average fastball by having a great breaking ball he can manipulate so hitters get different looks at the same pitch. I could see him being similar to Giolito in that he needs to refine his delivery to repeat it better, but once he does he could have a similar jump.

Garrett Stallings - No plus pitch, but a 4 pitch mix of offerings he can command and that he tunnels and sequences well. I feel like he is the guy that performs better than his stuff would indicate and historically we wouldn't know why but it might be explained with modern tech.

Hayden Wesneski - Funky pitching angle makes his sinker/slider combo play well off each other. I feel like he is the type that spends an offseason developing a third offering to tunnel with those two and suddenly he is untouchable.

Andrew Schultz - College reliever with high spin rate 4 seamer that touches 101. Iffy slider and no third pitch, but I'll take that fastball and let the coaches work on developing a complimentary pitch.

Noah Song - At some point having to wait 2 years is going to be worth it. I just don't know if that point for us is before it is for a team like the Dodgers or Yankees.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wanne said:

Most teams would love to get Song...but not knowing when he could actually be available to you is the problem. How many years before he could actually play given his military commitment?...2 years?  4?

While his stats are video game-like, isn't his competition pretty weak?

2 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

While his stats are video game-like, isn't his competition pretty weak?

weaker than a high school pitcher?  He can still bring 96mph cheese and has a very nice breaking pitch. I think he'd be fine. I'd be more concerned about a 2 year layoff...

3 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Hitters I like:

Maurice Hampton - I think we've talked about him enough.

Jordan Brewer - College popup guy that has more potential than most college guys still available, but limited track record. Could be a 20-20 CF. I honestly don't know how he is still available.

Jake Sanford - Similar to Brewer, but against lesser competition. Has more power, but is probably LF instead of a possible CF like Brewer.

Hudson Head - Good feel for the barrel and plus speed, but someone needs to get this kid a cheeseburger because it looks like a stiff wind could break him in half. If you can put some muscle on him, I feel like he could develop good power. I guess the questions are how much bigger can he get and what will that do to his speed. Toolsy upside pick favorite.

Dasan Brown - Young Canadian outfielder that has good twitch, bat speed and foot speed. Struggled a bit this year, but was also facing teams with professionals so he was probably just overmatched. Toolsy upside pick favorite.

Edouard Julien - He is a 20 year old, sophomore eligible college player than could possibly play second, hit 17 homers as a freshmen, broke Frank Thomas freshman record for RBI (that doesn't really mean much, but its a fun connection), and is only 7 months older than Brett Baty. He has real questions about his contact rates, but he has power and more upside than most college guys considering the only reason he is in the draft is because of a loophole and really he should be a younger junior next year.

Colin Barber - HS hitter with average or better tools across the board. Needs to refine his approach because he guesses at times which leads to swing and miss. Hopefully that is something he gets rid of when he is no longer trying to impress scouts. I like his bat speed and I think he could have some real power if he got better hip activation with his swing.

Carter Young - Probably going to Vandy, but he is going to be a guy we are talking about in three years as a guy with good contact and command of the zone who could probably stick in the middle of the dirt, has average power, good hands, great leadership qualities. He was one of the only non-seniors on Team USA 18U in 2017, but then didn't do as well in 2018 and scouts kind of wrote him off and then he went back to the northwest where its more difficult to get looks at him.

Dominic Canzone - Dinged for his weird swing, but tied school record for consecutive games getting on base with 51. Developed power this year when he added more loft to his swing. I think he could have solid average and power, though he is limited to left. 

James Beard - Fastest guy in the draft. Truly elite speed. If he can hit at all, he could be a scary threat with his ability to steal bases. Basically a second change at developing Adam Engel, but maybe even faster.

Pitchers I like:

Spencer Jones - Tall lefty that you can dream on. Might be too late to get him away from college. Is also a good hitter, so he has that as a backup if he can't make it as a pitcher.

Tyler Dyson - Could have been another first round pitcher from UF if he had performed, but he struggled this year but came on in the last few weeks. If there is some actual change in that time the scouts can identify, he could be a steal even in the third round.

Kyle Brnovich - Maybe the single best breaking ball in the class. With the trend of throwing much more breaking pitches instead of fastballs, I think he can get away with an average fastball by having a great breaking ball he can manipulate so hitters get different looks at the same pitch. I could see him being similar to Giolito in that he needs to refine his delivery to repeat it better, but once he does he could have a similar jump.

Garrett Stallings - No plus pitch, but a 4 pitch mix of offerings he can command and that he tunnels and sequences well. I feel like he is the guy that performs better than his stuff would indicate and historically we wouldn't know why but it might be explained with modern tech.

Hayden Wesneski - Funky pitching angle makes his sinker/slider combo play well off each other. I feel like he is the type that spends an offseason developing a third offering to tunnel with those two and suddenly he is untouchable.

Andrew Schultz - College reliever with high spin rate 4 seamer that touches 101. Iffy slider and no third pitch, but I'll take that fastball and let the coaches work on developing a complimentary pitch.

Noah Song - At some point having to wait 2 years is going to be worth it. I just don't know if that point for us is before it is for a team like the Dodgers or Yankees.

Toronto going after Kendall Willams makes me feel like Jones isn't available, but the extra night of negotiating is great. Usually a few pop back out that we didn't expect. 

Your list is awesome.

Do people like Glenallen Hill Jr at all?

1 minute ago, Wanne said:

weaker than a high school pitcher?  He can still bring 96mph cheese and has a very nice breaking pitch. I think he'd be fine. I'd be more concerned about a 2 year layoff...

Wonder how far he falls, Round 4-5 (if happens) I'd pull the trigger

• bmags unpinned this topic