***Day 2 MLB Draft Thread Rounds 3-10***

bmags

Looking at the list of Best Available from BA...it seems like a lot of pitching...I thought this was a very weak pitching draft? Or was that just first round talent? I definitely want the Sox to go after a top sign issue guy though, and try and snag first round talent if possible. 

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

Looking at the list of Best Available from BA...it seems like a lot of pitching...I thought this was a very weak pitching draft? Or was that just first round talent? I definitely want the Sox to go after a top sign issue guy though, and try and snag first round talent if possible. 

Weak at the top, still plenty of your typical guys in the 3-10 rounds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Pitching was relatively weak for player that project to have #1, 2, or 3 upside. Plenty of arms with #4/5 potential in this draft. 

Interested to see what catcher the Sox take. Only question is how many will they draft.. 

Cooper Johnson would be a nice add for the system in the later rounds as a glove first/good defense and game caller for our pitchers. 

30 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Tyler Dyson - Could have been another first round pitcher from UF if he had performed, but he struggled this year but came on in the last few weeks. If there is some actual change in that time the scouts can identify, he could be a steal even in the third round.

This would be a very White Sox pick and I think I would be okay with it. Apparently he was creeping up draft boards recently and the stuff has been on as of late.

Edited by DirtySox

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

This is the sort of player that would make for a very interesting third round pick. A developmental prospect with the upside to develop into a regular. 

The problem is prying a player from a Baton Rouge suburb away from LSU.  People down here act like that place is a mecca.

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The problem is prying a player from a Baton Rouge suburb away from LSU.  People down here act like that place is a mecca.

Agreed, but really does seem like the type of guy that could end up being a top 30 pick in a few years. Would love to nab a profile like that for our system. 

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just FYI draft starts at 1130am CT

Really liking the profile of Jordan Brewer out of Michigan as well: 

Jordan Brewer | Rank: 108

School: MichiganYear: JuniorPosition: Of**e: 21 DOB: 8/1/1997Bats: R Throws: LHeight: 6'1" Weight: 195 lb.Previously drafted: Never

WATCH 

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 50 | Run: 65 | Arm: 50 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

As a high school wide receiver, Brewer drew interest from the likes of Michigan and Wisconsin, but his football hopes evaporated when he dislocated his shoulder as a senior. He slipped through the cracks in baseball recruiting and wound up spending his first two college seasons at Lincoln Trail (Ill.) CC. He has been a revelation after joining the Wolverines as a junior, exciting scouts with his combination of tools and performance while winning the Big Ten Conference player of the year award.

If he realizes his upside, Brewer will have at least solid tools across the board. He has well above-average speed and plus raw power, giving him 20-20 potential. He doesn't try to do too much at the plate, using his combination of a quick right-handed swing and strength to deliver hard contact to all fields.

A center fielder at Lincoln Trail, Brewer has played mostly right field and first base this spring because Michigan had greater needs there. He needs to refine his instincts a bit but he has the quickness to become a quality defender in center when he returns there in pro ball. His arm grades as average to solid and plays up because he makes accurate throws.

That is a great profile for a third or fourth round pick. 

• Like 1

• bmags unpinned this topic