2019 MLB Draft and Signing Tracker

bmags

11 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I would think so. It's easy to assume that Vaughn, Thompson and Beard will all sign for slot. Use the 5-10 round savings to sign Dalquist. 

Why the heck would you sign Vaughn for slot?  He was never going 1 or 2 and Miami wasn't taking him.  Anything above slot for 5 is the best he was ever going to do.

19 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

What are the odds that they can't get Dalquist to sign? 25%? 

I'd be shocked if Dalquist did not sign. Teams contact player's agents prior to making draft selections in order to know what pricetag they have. Dalquist reportedly is asking for $2 million and Sox will get him inked. 

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

He might have slid to 5, but 5 could have also then offered him over slot.

Vaughn might sign for a bit below slot, as he likely would have fallen to #5 if the Sox did not select him? Regardless he was the correct pick. 

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

Don't play games with it, sox probably negotiated with this before pick was made, they'll pay what was agreed to. Vaughn had leverage pre-draft. Sox aren't going to dick around.

Not being a dick, but what leverage does a college junior have? You turn down multi-millions to come back and have zero leverage as a senior? 

34 minutes ago, Palehosefan said:

Not being a dick, but what leverage does a college junior have? You turn down multi-millions to come back and have zero leverage as a senior? 

He has the leverage of other teams being able to select him offering over slot, and yes, refusing to sign. While that may not pay off individually for Vaughn, he could go play indy ball for a year, and the sox would have lost a top 3 pick and it's amount for their draft pool. So it would be a pain to the sox. And screwing over agents and players isn't wise in the long run.

If what you are saying is true, why would any college juniors make anywhere near slot?

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

If what you are saying is true, why would any college juniors make anywhere near slot?

I think that is the direction the draft will head similar to basketball. High school players will rule the draft, and it will take a college superstar to remain a top 10 pick. Development time in an advanced metrics MLB farm system will top most college programs for numerous reasons. 

College players are becoming financial fodder so that teams can truly draft the elite high school talent and sign them. 
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/draft-system-has-pushed-teams-to-pick-more-college-players/

1 hour ago, bmags said:

He has the leverage of other teams being able to select him offering over slot, and yes, refusing to sign. While that may not pay off individually for Vaughn, he could go play indy ball for a year, and the sox would have lost a top 3 pick and it's amount for their draft pool. So it would be a pain to the sox. And screwing over agents and players isn't wise in the long run.

You love Houston, and I understand why, but then you make the point that screwing over agents and players isnt a good long term plan.

That is houstons issue, imo. They treat people soley as assets and openly admit that. 

Looking at past drafts

2018 - Madrigal was the first to receive full slot value at #4 Kelenic was the first over-slot at #6

2017 - Lewis pick #1 was the only under-slot pick in the top 5

2016 - Ray was the first to go over-slot at #5

2015 - Jay was the first to receive full slot value at #6

2014 - Rodon went over-slot at #3 the next player to go over-slot was Trea Turner at #13

So in general you're most likely to sign a top 3 pick under-slot, however 2017 was a lot different than other recent drafts

6 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You love Houston, and I understand why, but then you make the point that screwing over agents and players isnt a good long term plan.

That is houstons issue, imo. They treat people soley as assets and openly admit that. 

Sounds like a big issue.

https://www.milb.com/great-falls/news/white-sox-release-voyagers-opening-day-roster/c-308065266?tcid=tw_article_308065266

So a lot of these we already knew.

But I think these are new:

- Cam Simmons (UVA) is on here, so signed

- Joshua Rivera (chipola jc)

- Solesky (tulane)

- Kaleb Roper (tulane)

- Connor Reich (Texas State)

Jason Morgan is on there...is he a UDFA?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sox71 said:

Interesting that none of the first four pick signings have been announced.  

Yep. Let's hope something isn't amiss. The draft was 10 days ago. I'm sure everyone took the rest of last week after the draft off. This week should be all business though. I'm excited to watch Vaughn smash. Let's get these kids signed! 

35 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Yep. Let's hope something isn't amiss. The draft was 10 days ago. I'm sure everyone took the rest of last week after the draft off. This week should be all business though. I'm excited to watch Vaughn smash. Let's get these kids signed! 

Continue freak out.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I love the annual freak out about the possibility of not signing picks in the first 10 rounds. Maybe next year we need a pin in all bold detailing how rare it is.

Likely means there is an injury which sucks for all involved.

Just now, DirtySox said:

He means in the rare case that a pick in the top 10 rounds doesn't sign, it's likely because of an injury.

Ahhh, got it. Thought he was insinuating one of the Sox top 4 picks may be dealing with an injury.  NEVERMIND!