2019 MLB Draft and Signing Tracker

bmags

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I heard something about Dalquist not being able to sign until next week because he hasn't graduated yet, and that is what is holding up the top 3 picks. 

BREAKING

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Checking on other signings on the tracker, what does green vs. red suggest? I thought slot for beyond 10th round is 125k. Did I read that everyone from 23rd round onward only received $2,500 bonus? We typically don’t hear bonuses if it’s under 125k, but that’s crazy if true.

6 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Checking on other signings on the tracker, what does green vs. red suggest? I thought slot for beyond 10th round is 125k. Did I read that everyone from 23rd round onward only received $2,500 bonus? We typically don’t hear bonuses if it’s under 125k, but that’s crazy if true.

Red is underslot.  Green should be over slot though some aren't.  If post tenth round you sign for more than 125k, the overage has to come out of your overall pool.  There is no savings for under 125k in rounds 11 onward.  You are not obligated to offer any amount re the 2,500.  I do not know of the 2,500 "rule" but a lot of college seniors will get less than the 125 in rounds 11 onward. 

To further make it complicated, you may spend 5% over your pool prior to incurring bigger penalties.  If you go over 5%, not only do you pay a 75% tax on the overage, you lose next years first round pick(more picks lost if over 10%).  Thus 5% represents a pretty hard cap.

Edited by BamaDoc

57 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Red is underslot.  Green should be over slot though some aren't.  If post tenth round you sign for more than 125k, the overage has to come out of your overall pool.  There is no savings for under 125k in rounds 11 onward.  You are not obligated to offer any amount re the 2,500.  I do not know of the 2,500 "rule" but a lot of college seniors will get less than the 125 in rounds 11 onward. 

To further make it complicated, you may spend 5% over your pool prior to incurring bigger penalties.  If you go over 5%, not only do you pay a 75% tax on the overage, you lose next years first round pick(more picks lost if over 10%).  Thus 5% represents a pretty hard cap.

I always thought that was a pretty stiff penalty, but it seems to work.  I remember when we were trying to sign Rodon a few years ago, his agent held out and tried his hardest to get Sox to go over that penalty mark and sacrifice the next year's pick, just so Carlos could get an extra million or three.  From that day on, Boros is such an asshole, IMO.  Speaking of which, I sure hope he doesn't represent Vaughn

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If the Sox give Vaughn the full slot amount, they should have about $2.2 million left to sign Dalquist and Glass. 

I came up with $2,127,575.00 with factoring in the 5% overage. Not sure if that is fully correct or not.

image.png

Edited by Sox Fan In Husker Land

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If the Sox give Vaughn the full slot amount, they should have about $2.2 million left to sign Dalquist and Glass. 

What happens if Dalquist wants 2.75 million or he goes to school? The Sox pretty much have to give him whatever he asks at this point, no? 

One thing Sox has not been doing a good job of is the negotiation process. There are a number of 2nd rounders in recent years they went overslot when industry didn’t expect them to. They also like to convince themselves the guy they got in the second round has first round talent and didn’t mind give late first round bonus for them.

With the Thompson signing, I think the shop has sailed on Krogman and Trenkle at this point, unless Vaughn is an unexpected underslot signing.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs