2019 MLB Draft and Signing Tracker

bmags

Rare but certainly not unheard of.  I have a serious issue with it because it's a giant FU to the entire scouting department.  Those guys bust their asses all year spending countless nights away from their families watching game after game in shit weather then when the draft finally comes rather than taking one of their gut feel guys they spent endless time on watching and getting all the background info they take the nephew of the god damn traveling secretary.  It's bad form and an awful way to run an organization.  

Edit: just this week a 32nd round pick (John St Locke) and an undrafted guy (Mike Brosseau) made their big league debuts.  I get the casual fan doesn't give a shit about these guys because they're not future Hall of Famers but this is the kind of stuff that makes a scouts career.  But hey go ahead and use a late round pick on the grandson of the owner who doesn't even play god damn baseball.  No one cares.  

Edited by Harold's Leg Lift

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Rare but certainly not unheard of.  I have a serious issue with it because it's a giant FU to the entire scouting department.  Those guys bust their asses all year spending countless nights away from their families watching game after game in shit weather then when the draft finally comes rather than taking one of their gut feel guys they spent endless time on watching and getting all the background info they take the nephew of the god damn traveling secretary.  It's bad form and an awful way to run an organization.  

Edit: just this week a 32nd round pick (John St Locke) and an undrafted guy (Mike Brosseau) made their big league debuts.  I get the casual fan doesn't give a shit about these guys because they're not future Hall of Famers but this is the kind of stuff that makes a scouts career.  But hey go ahead and use a late round pick on the grandson of the owner who doesn't even play god damn baseball.  No one cares.  

Nice commentary, Harold.

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If a scout has strong gut feel for a guy who hasn't been drafted by 30 teams after 35 rounds, good for them. Even so, if they have that compelling of a case to go after the player we could have drafted that player earlier or sign them as UDFA. 

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If the best a scout can do is convince a team to draft a guy in the 32nd round, he will not be employed long. They get their reputation by getting guys drafted in the upper rounds and the ones that become MLB regulars and stars.

You are really reaching for things to criticize when it's something that all teams do even if the Sox do it more than others, which I doubt.  Maybe you should be more angry that they didn't take the one that was worth drafting, Allen Thomas kid. 

There are scouts who don't get drafts every  year.  An organization has about 20 area scouts and the draft is 40 rounds.  That's 2 a guy before you factor in the draft is dominated by players in California, Florida and Texas.  Then you have an organization that punts on later round picks to take the god damn groundskeepers son and your chances of getting a guy are even less.  It's very easy to get shutout but hell you got it all figured out.  Just convince them to take an upper round guy.  I wonder why no one else thought of that.

Thank you for your concern but I'll choose what I want to be angry about and passing on Alec is not it.    

27 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Yea, crazy good job negotiation by Mets if he started at $4M.

You can’t convince me Thompson is worth only $400k less than Allan, another example of Sox being bad at negotiations.

I don't really care what the denominations are so long as they got the guys they wanted. It pissed me off when it was Walker/Sheets going over slot for some reason when it could have affected getting good young prep talent, but they got good young prep talent in this case and we just have to trust their scouts and pd regardless (trust = cross fingers and hope)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Correct me if wrong, but it looks like Sox cannot offer Dalquist $2MM without going deep into the penalty box.

if logan glass is getting 200k, than we can offer 2.05 million from my understanding. If he gets 2.1 then glass is only getting like 125k if he signs

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Yea, crazy good job negotiation by Mets if he started at $4M.

You can’t convince me Thompson is worth only $400k less than Allan, another example of Sox being bad at negotiations.

If every team was under the impression he was going to sign for around 2.5 million, you would have had many more suitors. I can't fault the White Sox on this.

1 hour ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

Sox should have $127,525 left to offer over slot to anyone not signed in rounds 11-40.

So if Glass is coming in at 200 that eats up 100k so that leaves a max offer of 127,525 to any of the remaining six.  the 27,525 probably not enough to sway a high schooler. Oops wrong math.  evidently 125k is the max before pool so 152,525 which below goes to Freeman

Edited by BamaDoc
math error

57 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

If Glass does sign then only 15th rounder Caleb Freeman rhp hasn't signed out of top 27 picks.  Pretty darn good and maybe he signs as I  think he is listed as a signer per the future sox draft tracker so impressive.  So while typing SH posts Freeman signs...Cool!

Edited by BamaDoc
signed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

So if Glass is coming in at 200 that eats up 100k so that leaves a max offer of 127,525 to any of the remaining six.  the 27,525 probably not enough to sway a high schooler. Oops wrong math.  evidently 125k is the max before pool so 152,525 which below goes to Freeman

My numbers have Glass at signing for $200K as reported on the 1st page of this thread. If Glass did sign for $200K, then the Sox have $102,575 after signing Freeman for Trenkle, Krogrman, Britt, and Flood.