2019 MLB Draft and Signing Tracker

bmags

15 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Absolutely.

And we may not be done if raBBit's math is right from the last page, we still have about $67K left for Trenkle or Britt. Britt I think is a definite no, but I haven't seen solid confirmation Trenkle is going to school. Would $192K be enough to change his decision?

When is the deadline for non NCAA seniors to sign?

The White Sox spent about as much money as they could possibly spend on the draft. Their bonus pool was $11,565,500. They spent an additional $510,700 to take them up to $12,076,200. They will also spend an additional $383,035 for a total close to $12.5 million. I think this type of spending should be expected because it's peanuts to an organization but not every team does this. In looking at the totality of this draft class, it helped them add 8 prep talents. According to bonus amount, these would have been the White Sox's top 10 picks. 

1. Andrew Vaughn 1B $7.2 million

2. Matthew Thompson RHP $2.1 million

3. Andrew Dalquist RHP $2 million

4. James Beard OF $350K

5. DJ Gladney 3B $225K

6. Chase Krogman OF $190K

7. Misael Gonzalez OF $185K

8. Victor Torres $175K

9. Logan Glass $170K

10. Caleb Freeman RHP $150K 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox spent about as much money as they could possibly spend on the draft. Their bonus pool was $11,565,500. They spent an additional $510,700 to take them up to $12,076,200. They will also spend an additional $383,035 for a total close to $12.5 million. I think this type of spending should be expected because it's peanuts to an organization but not every team does this. In looking at the totality of this draft class, it helped them add 8 prep talents. According to bonus amount, these would have been the White Sox's top 10 picks. 

1. Andrew Vaughn 1B $7.2 million

2. Matthew Thompson RHP $2.1 million

3. Andrew Dalquist RHP $2 million

4. James Beard OF $350K

5. DJ Gladney 3B $225K

6. Chase Krogman OF $190K

7. Misael Gonzalez OF $185K

8. Victor Torres $175K

9. Logan Glass $170K

10. Caleb Freeman RHP $150K 

I am really happy they took so many HS guys regardless if it ends up working out or not.  I hope this is the strategy going forward.

20 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I am really happy they took so many HS guys regardless if it ends up working out or not.  I hope this is the strategy going forward.

I think it depends on the status of the team and minor league system. They have a really top heavy system that should produce at least 5 or 6 MLB players to add to the team. This allowed them to draft a bunch of high school players which typically take longer to develop. As opposed to when they didn't have much talent in the system and needed players relatively quickly.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Can someone help me understand how Victor Torres has signed, but also tweeted out this today....??

Is it possible that FutureSox and I are both following the wrong prep Puerto-Rican baseball player named Victor Torres?

Victor Torres already has stats on Baseball-Reference.com 

4 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Can someone help me understand how Victor Torres has signed, but also tweeted out this today....??

Is it possible that FutureSox and I are both following the wrong prep Puerto-Rican baseball player named Victor Torres?

This kid I think played at Holyoke JC and is going on to Fisher College, he is a CF. The kid  we drafted is a C from Puerto Rico.

16 hours ago, ptatc said:

I think it depends on the status of the team and minor league system. They have a really top heavy system that should produce at least 5 or 6 MLB players to add to the team. This allowed them to draft a bunch of high school players which typically take longer to develop. As opposed to when they didn't have much talent in the system and needed players relatively quickly.

They could have still drafted the polished college bats they have while going so overwhelmingly tilted toward college. Dalquist certainly made this a bit more HS heavy due to the need for 5th year seniors and seniors for budget, but they could have easily added a 2nd or 3rd round high schooler in the last few years while still satisfying the need to get upper level depth in play.

That and high level high school talent has moved just as quickly as college talent recently. The Beards/Gladneys etc will take a while but they were later or under slot picks.

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Seems like it considering he tweeted about this link

https://www.redbaronsathletics.com/sports/bsb/2018-19/releases/20190522hc00lq

6 hours ago, MnSoxFan said:

This kid I think played at Holyoke JC and is going on to Fisher College, he is a CF. The kid  we drafted is a C from Puerto Rico.

This is correct. It wouldn't make sense anyways considering Torres has been playing games in our affiliate already. 

• Thanks 1

A very early review of early 2019 top10 draft pick performance

1. Rutschmann

Still hasn't played due to mononucleosis! They say it is a mild case but I have heard of cases were athletes couldn't really train for half a year and lose a ton of muscle mass. Definitely pretty bad for the Os

2. Witt

Has hit 250 with no homers so far. K rate is solid though so not a lot of worry yet but not a great start

3. Vaughn 

Has raked like expected, over .400 with 2 bombs about 17% Ks and as many walks

4. Bleday 

Hasn't played yet but due to late signing 

5. Greene 

Has hit 360 with 2 homers and lots of walks but K rate has been a little high at about mid 20s

6. Abrams 

Has hit 450 with 2 homers and single digit K rate but only rookie ball. Still a promising start for a HS prospect

7. Lodolo

8 ip, 15 Ks no walks, has looked very good so far but only rookie ball

8. Josh jung

Has hit over 500 with a bomb but only 4 games so really not telling

9. Langliers

Has hit 200 with 1 bomb and 22% Ks at A ball. Not a great start but he was considered a glove first catcher

10. Bishop

Just 6 games but 11 Ks in 24 PAs. Also a bomb and 250 BA with lots of walks. Tiny sample but some red flag concerning his hit tool.

Of course the only thing with some predictive value after 60-70 PAs is K rate. Most of the top10 had a decent start. So far it seems the sox did a good pick as Vaughn statistically had the best results but this was expected of course. Bishop indeed might be a red flag and the mono thing isn't a great sign too. Still good pick by the sox, I think Vaughn will be at least one of the best 5-6 players of this draft in the long and he is about the surest bet to get there.

Abrams looks spectacular though if you combine it with his tools, hit tool seems to be legit with single digit K rate, 400+ average and even two bombs. My bet in a year he is the best ranked prospect of this class.

• Thanks 1