Where is Nick Madrigal at in his development?

Greg Hibbard

In light of the draft, it's tough not to reflect on a year later and where we are at with this kid. I tried to find the old thread, but it was too far back for me to find. I keep looking at his numbers on a weekly basis and see him with seemingly above average (but not stellar) offensive numbers at high A ball, really great strikeout % and light power. I keep wondering when he would be ready for AA, AAA and beyond. He seems like he is slower in developing than the Sox thought. So far it seems as though the power isn't there yet. I know he has had to adjust to a wooden bat.

Still the Sox future 2B. He’ll be more of a solid presence, reliable, and consistent, rather than a superstar. And he’ll do fine against good pitching because of the bat to ball skills. Still a great pick, even if other 2018 picks have higher upside in the long run.

27 minutes ago, flavum said:

Still the Sox future 2B. He’ll be more of a solid presence, reliable, and consistent, rather than a superstar. And he’ll do fine against good pitching because of the bat to ball skills. Still a great pick, even if other 2018 picks have higher upside in the long run.

literally none of that is written in stone.  I'm not writing him off as that would be asinine but penciling him in based on draft status and college production is a useless projection given we now have 400 or so PA of him in MilB to evaluate and it's not that pretty.  He's rocking an ISO of like .75 FFS.  That is pathetic.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

literally none of that is written in stone.  I'm not writing him off as that would be asinine but penciling him in based on draft status and college production is a useless projection given we now have 400 or so PA of him in MilB to evaluate and it's not that pretty.  He's rocking an ISO of like .75 FFS.  That is pathetic.

Yes, but his ISO over his last 200 PAs is .105, way up from basically nothing. He is obviously still making the adjustment.

41 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Gets way too much hate by some. He'll be fine. 

The counterpoint is also true; way too many people wanted to rush him, move Moncada to 3b to clear space for him, declare that he has no issues, and have him up this season/immediately.

He has a clear flaw in his game. The less important that flaw becomes the better of a player he will be. If he can't overcome it he's not a big leaguer. The most important thing this franchise can do is give him time to work on it.

A-ball this year unless he finally forces the issue with a major production surge later this year. Then see what story AA tells next year. Find someone to cover 2b at the big league level on the FA  market next offseason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

For reference, Leury's ISO is .076, Yolmer's is .060, Tilson's is .065, so obviously a low ISO can still translate into a +WAR player.

All of those are bench pieces. Leury Garcia is fun, but not as a top-5 draft pick.

21 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

In light of the draft, it's tough not to reflect on a year later and where we are at with this kid. I tried to find the old thread, but it was too far back for me to find. I keep looking at his numbers on a weekly basis and see him with seemingly above average (but not stellar) offensive numbers at high A ball, really great strikeout % and light power. I keep wondering when he would be ready for AA, AAA and beyond. He seems like he is slower in developing than the Sox thought. So far it seems as though the power isn't there yet. I know he has had to adjust to a wooden bat.

Madrigal is going to be just fine. Give him some time to adjust to minor league baseball and I think Sox fans will be satisfied by his progress by end of 2019. 

He has stolen 17 bases in 49 games, and has played excellent defense as far as I have heard. Do not discount those things. 

15 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Madrigal is going to be just fine. Give him some time to adjust to minor league baseball and I think Sox fans will be satisfied by his progress by end of 2019. 

He has stolen 17 bases in 49 games, and has played excellent defense as far as I have heard. Do not discount those things. 

Madrigal has been promoted to AA!

12 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Should be up in Chicago late '20 or early '21, right around the same time as Vaughn

My guess would be sooner than that.  I loved the pick last year and I love it now.  He will be very popular once people get past the doesn't hit HR's things.  He will be perfect at the top of the lineup.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

My guess would be sooner than that.  I loved the pick last year and I love it now.  He will be very popular once people get past the doesn't hit HR's things.  He will be perfect at the top of the lineup.

He’s a number 9 hitter for me in a good lineup.  At this point, roster dreaming should have Robert and Moncada 1-2

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

He’s a number 9 hitter for me in a good lineup.  At this point, roster dreaming should have Robert and Moncada 1-2

His skill set fits nicely at 1, 2 or 9 in the lineup.  I imagine he will start at #9 but his high average combined with low strike out and 40-50 SB's are hard to resist.  Actually where to hit Madrigal is a nice problem to have.  Also, just noted he was promoted to AA today.

• Thanks 1