FS Breakdown: 3rd and 4th Round Picks Andrew Dalquist and James Beard

Rankin

26 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

James Beard has to be my favorite Sox pick, feel like we just got a more raw Abrams with a higher ceiling in an OFer form (I think Abrams moves there) 3 rounds later

Pumped

Good point.  And with as risky of a pick as Abrams was because of how high he was picked, the Sox mitigated all of that potential risk by taking a potentially comparable player much later in the draft.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Good point.  And with as risky of a pick as Abrams was because of high high he was picked, the Sox mitigated all of that potential risk by taking a potentially comparable player much later in the draft.

Exactly, hopefully we can develop him and maximize his talents, super raw

13 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Good point.  And with as risky of a pick as Abrams was because of how high he was picked, the Sox mitigated all of that potential risk by taking a potentially comparable player much later in the draft.

Big difference being Abrams might stick in the middle IF, and projects to have a little above average hit tool. Beard's hit tool is unknown at this stage due to lack of competition. 

I like the pick though!

4 hours ago, HoosierSox said:

At worst if Beard can't hit he could be a valuable pinch runner in a playoff series. 

Nah, he still has to be better than that.  If you want a guy like this, just do what the Cubs did and signs guy like Terrance Gore.  They are a dime a dozen.

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Nah, he still has to be better than that.  If you want a guy like this, just do what the Cubs did and signs guy like Terrance Gore.  They are a dime a dozen.

Chances of a 4th round pick making it to the majors are not high. Especially a raw high school kid. If he makes it as a pinch runner that's a win.

• Like 1

Via Kiley's chat yesterday. Re: Beard.

Charlie: James Beard, Tim Anderson, LouBob foot race. Who you got?

Kiley McDaniel: Beard could be the fastest man in pro baseball. It would need to be something like him and Billy Hamilton and Buxton to be close

Edited by DirtySox

26 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Via Kiley's chat yesterday. Re: Beard.

The interesting thing to see when he arrives is how much he has progressed. Kiley mentioned he didn't even make area codes last summer in a not particularly competitive area.

But the BA writeup and hostetler mentioned significant improvement in bat this senior year, but against crap competition.

He's raw regardless, but will be interesting to see how his progression translates.

22 hours ago, HoosierSox said:

Chances of a 4th round pick making it to the majors are not high. Especially a raw high school kid. If he makes it as a pinch runner that's a win.

No, I’m sorry but no 4th round draft pick only making the big leagues as a pinch runner is a win.  Like I said, a player with pinch running as his only skill is a dime a dozen.  You can sign Terrance Gore at the minimum for that.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

7 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

No, I’m sorry but no 4th round draft pick only making the big leagues as a pinch runner is a win.  Like I said, a player with pinch running as his only skill is a dime a dozen.  You can sign Terrance Gore at the minimum for that.

https://sabr.org/research/chances-drafted-baseball-player-making-major-leagues-quantitative-study

A high school position player drafted in the 4th round has a 6% chance of making the major leagues. I would say making it as a pinch runner is a win even if they are a dime a dozen as you say. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Also it’s weird they are a dime a dozen but you can only mention one, who has made quite a career out of literally only one skill.

The MLB draft is the strangest of any professional sport. Prep arms are high risk of busting, but also very high reward if they pan out. Most of your top starting pitching prospects come from the high school ranks it seems.