***Day 3 MLB Draft Thread Rounds 11-40***

ChiSoxJon

I think we go HS hitters with a couple of the first picks, so here is my list of guys I would want that are available and I think still have a chance to sign:

Chris Newell
Jaden Brown
Bobby Zmarzlak
Ethan Vecrumba
Emmanuel Dean
Henry Gargus
Jordan Beck
Mason Auer
Kody Huff
Myles Austin
Jason Hodges
Jasiah Dixon
Vaughn Grisson
Joshua Rivera
Trey Faltine
  • Like 1

• bmags pinned this topic

Day 3 is my favorite day to follow.  Just turn it on in the background while I'm doing work and hear a bunch of "Pittsburgh Pirates select number 574921, redraft ..."  Occasionally a name pops up that I'm familiar with and I listen closely to the Sox pick.

Reminder that getting drafted players to the big leagues is a huge success in itself, and with that, day 3 has been pretty productive. 

Seby Zevala and Danny Mendick were both day 3 picks that are either up or look to be up (uh, maybe new september rules doesn't bring up danny).

Aaron Bummer was day 3 as well.

BA Article up about teams with heavy senior signs yesterday. White Sox were one. I'm excited for today.

The White Sox were similarly aggressive in taking high-upside (and potentially expensive) high school players in the second and third rounds. After selecting California first baseman Andrew Vaughn with the third pick of the draft, Chicago selected high school righthander Matthew Thompson with its second-round pick, another prep righthander Andrew Dalquist in the third round and speedy high school outfielder James Beard in the fourth round. After that, the White Sox selected college seniors with their fifth- through 10th-round picks.

It's likely that all three teams will be aggressive in selecting high-upside (and high-priced) high school players with large bonus demands on Day 3. In the case of the Marlins and White Sox, they likely have some money remaining to spend on them. For picks in rounds 11 and up, teams are able to spend up to $125,000 without it counting toward their pool allotment. Anything they spend above $125,000 does count toward the team's bonus allotment pool.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/which-teams-went-college-senior-heavy-on-day-2/

Edited by DirtySox

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

Reminder that getting drafted players to the big leagues is a huge success in itself, and with that, day 3 has been pretty productive. 

Seby Zevala and Danny Mendick were both day 3 picks that are either up or look to be up (uh, maybe new september rules doesn't bring up danny).

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/which-teams-went-college-senior-heavy-on-day-2/

The Sox are going to come out swinging in the draft today. Fans should absolutely be excited. They went cheap senior heavy and should have some pool money remaining to play with here. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Adam Engel as well. He's bad but getting to the majors as a 19th rounder is a scouting win. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Dalton Fowler looks like an interesting name.  I suspect someone will nab him in round 11. 

He was my guy all day yesterday. 

I'm slso looking to see where a couple of local boys go (Prosecky, Short).

10 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Not sure if he signs, but would like to take UNC RHSP Gianluca Dalatri at some point...broke a few of Matt Harvey's freshman records at UNC, but has been injury plagued (elbow, hip), should probably return to UNC for his SR year

Sounds similar to Fry when he was drafted.