OUTFIELD A MAJOR ISSUE.

tpz76

I really am feeling good about where the Sox are around the infield so far with Moncada, Anderson, and obviously Abreu... and as a very nice surprise what McCann has been offering behind the plate both offensively and the amazing job he is doing with Giolito, however, I am very much disappointed with the production with the outfield so far this year. Leury Garcia has been the most and really only productive player the Sox have in their shallow outfield thus far this year. I give much credit to Eloy Jimenez who is showing signs of brilliance, but has yet to truly live up to the hype. I was and still am very disappointed that Daniel Palka didn't work out, and while Adam Engel was so brilliant as a defender last year, just could not produce enough offense this year to keep him at the level, and an even bigger kick in the throat is Jon Jay who has not, or might not at all play a game this year. This is a major concern for me as a fan cause other than Louis Robert, who is still a bit away from being an impact player, the Sox outfield is not at all something that is going to be productive enough to win ballgames. I know this is a rebuild and these issues are going to present themselves, but this lack of depth in the outfield is worrying me more than the horrific pitching issues this team is already displaying. Thoughts anyone? Thanks.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tpz76 said:

I really am feeling good about where the Sox are around the infield so far with Moncada, Anderson, and obviously Abreu... and as a very nice surprise what McCann has been offering behind the plate both offensively and the amazing job he is doing with Giolito, however, I am very much disappointed with the production with the outfield so far this year. Leury Garcia has been the most and really only productive player the Sox have in their shallow outfield thus far this year. I give much credit to Eloy Jimenez who is showing signs of brilliance, but has yet to truly live up to the hype. I was and still am very disappointed that Daniel Palka didn't work out, and while Adam Engel was so brilliant as a defender last year, just could not produce enough offense this year to keep him at the level, and an even bigger kick in the throat is Jon Jay who has not, or might not at all play a game this year. This is a major concern for me as a fan cause other than Louis Robert, who is still a bit away from being an impact player, the Sox outfield is not at all something that is going to be productive enough to win ballgames. I know this is a rebuild and these issues are going to present themselves, but this lack of depth in the outfield is worrying me more than the horrific pitching issues this team is already displaying. Thoughts anyone? Thanks.

I always hoped that one of Basabe/Rutherford/Adolfo would find their way to right field and maybe one may still.  Tilson & Cordell are both fine with me if that doesn't happen.  Nice to have a great hitting power hitter with an arm in RF but I can live with what we have.  Sox need 2 starting pitchers including one stud and 2 or 3 good pen arms.  A new manager and we're good to go.

This is why I would like to see us go after Ozuna. Our current OF is thin. Other than Robert no one else is standing out in the minors.

I would not mind starting off 2020 with Jimenez (although he needs to DH at some point), Ozuna, L. Garcia.... with Robert taking over Garcia's spot when brought up.

If Robert is with the club next year, the OF is Jimenez, Robert, and L. Garcia.  Two of the three would be good to great defenders.  Jimenez needs more time to get better in left, but he'll never be a great out there.  I assume eventually he'll be more of a DH.  There are still a couple guys in the minors who could be good in the OF, and there's always a chance of picking someone up.  All said, I don't think the future of the OF looks bad.  There are going to be some growing pains, though.

46 minutes ago, Capital G said:

This is why I would like to see us go after Ozuna. Our current OF is thin. Other than Robert no one else is standing out in the minors.

I would not mind starting off 2020 with Jimenez (although he needs to DH at some point), Ozuna, L. Garcia.... with Robert taking over Garcia's spot when brought up.

I don't hate it but bookending Jimenez defense with Ozuna seems like a problem.

• Like 2

Leury/Tilson/Cordell won't cut it on a contender.  They won't cause harm necessarily so you may be able to live with them.

Bad starting pitching does cause harm and you can't contend without 5 good starters.  The Sox have 1, with another 1 or 2 passable half the time.  The also lack real impact bullpen arms...most of these guys can pitch a clean inning against the Royals, but  dousing  a rally against the  Astros or Twins is another question.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Leury/Tilson/Cordell won't cut it on a contender.  They won't cause harm necessarily so you may be able to live with them.

Bad starting pitching does cause harm and you can't contend without 5 good starters.  The Sox have 1, with another 1 or 2 passable half the time.  The also lack real impact bullpen arms...most of these guys can pitch a clean inning against the Royals, but  dousing  a rally against the  Astros or Twins is another question.

Nice Post 

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I don't hate it but bookending Jimenez defense with Ozuna seems like a problem.

Yah, that the issue. The two best OF fits for the Sox in FA next year are Ozuna and Castellanos.  Both are poor defenders.  I guess you could hope to transition one to DH eventually, but we sure have along of 1B/DH types.  Really need one of the OF prospects to turn it on.  Still super bummed about Adolfo, thought he was going to have a monster year and be that guy. 

Definitely need another corner outfielder when the team is supposed to contend.  Someone like Conforto would be a great fit if the Mets ever sell.  Biggest issue is finding the assets to land a quality veteran.  Oh, and just looking at the RF fWAR, it’s infuriating to see Avi so high.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Definitely need another corner outfielder when the team is supposed to contend.  Someone like Conforto would be a great fit if the Mets ever sell.  Biggest issue is finding the assets to land a quality veteran.  Oh, and just looking at the RF fWAR, it’s infuriating to see Avi so high.

Avi would have been a FA after this season. His success is rather meaningless.  

If Rutherford or Adolfo don't develop the Sox are going to have to somehow get an outfielder with some pop since RF is a power position. That person plus Jimenez and Robert with a Tilson or Cordell for a fourth guy (late inning defensive replacement) should be fine.

54 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If Rutherford or Adolfo don't develop the Sox are going to have to somehow get an outfielder with some pop since RF is a power position. That person plus Jimenez and Robert with a Tilson or Cordell for a fourth guy (late inning defensive replacement) should be fine.

I agree so long as that person has a good glove.  You just can't bury to below average outfielders in the same lineup.  Not even Trout is that good.

16 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Avi Garcia on pace for a 5 WAR season. He is killing it. I think some people owe you and @greg775 apologies. We should have extended him like you said. 

It makes me very sad, and sick almost, for people to not see what I did in Avi. The ONLY problem he had was he got hurt a lot and was fairly lousy on defense which the Sox have not cared about much. I think it was Fathom who posted his defense has improved. Somebody did. Some of the comments on this board about Avi were downright angry/nasty like he was a jerk.  Hitting .300 through 190 at bats with 11 homers. I always liked him mostly because of the eye test. He hit some bombs, true bombs for the Sox. He's blasted at least 2 missiles out of his 11 homers for TB.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1