OUTFIELD A MAJOR ISSUE.

tpz76

10 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

i still think Avi is an eventual HOFer and its a real shame that his bust in Cooperstown will not feature a White Sox hat.

Is this a sincere take? Because it’s a doozy. 

Edited by mqr

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

It makes me very sad, and sick almost, for people to not see what I did in Avi. The ONLY problem he had was he got hurt a lot and was fairly lousy on defense which the Sox have not cared about much. I think it was Fathom who posted his defense has improved. Somebody did. Some of the comments on this board about Avi were downright angry/nasty like he was a jerk.  Hitting .300 through 190 at bats with 11 homers. I always liked him mostly because of the eye test. He hit some bombs, true bombs for the Sox. He's blasted at least 2 missiles out of his 11 homers for TB.

Power hitter who could hit for average and had a cannon for an arm.  His downfall was being on DL while getting more expensive.  I like Avi and we still need a guy similar to him.

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Everyone was so focused on Machado as the perfect fit that they lost sight of the fact that Harper was the better fit for this team all along. Sox really missed out on Harper at a reasonable rate of ~$25M AAV to boot.

True, cuz if Eloy, Madrigal, and Robert all pan out, what hole is left other than in the rotation?  Right field.

The problem with all of the candidates mentioned in this thread is that Leury, Puig, Ozuna, Castellanos and even Avi are all right handed hitters. Right field is the only spot that is going to be available to fill the void that persists, regarding a left handed, middle of the order bat. An outfield of Eloy in left, Robert in center and a power hitting, left handed hitter in right, should be the goal. Where they are going to find that guy is the question.

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The problem with all of the candidates mentioned in this thread is that Leury, Puig, Ozuna, Castellanos and even Avi are all right handed hitters. Right field is the only spot that is going to be available to fill the void that persists, regarding a left handed, middle of the order bat. An outfield of Eloy in left, Robert in center and a power hitting, left handed hitter in right, should be the goal. Where they are going to find that guy is the question.

He will also need to catch and throw the ball.  Can't have two Eloy's in any outfield.

On 6/5/2019 at 7:13 AM, EloyJenkins said:

With drafting Vaughn ..literally the entire infield will be home grown...and McCann / Collins will be your catcher/DH set. Jimenez and Robert will be once again homegrown ...having one FA in your lineup for a rebuild is pretty dang successful. 

Didn’t they trade for Moncada and Jimenez?

22 hours ago, fathom said:

Definitely need another corner outfielder when the team is supposed to contend.  Someone like Conforto would be a great fit if the Mets ever sell.  Biggest issue is finding the assets to land a quality veteran.  Oh, and just looking at the RF fWAR, it’s infuriating to see Avi so high.

I know what you mean about Avi. I vehemently argued 2019 could be a breakout better than 2017 because of the power he showed last year even while fighting the bum knee.

I also noticed that his fielding is better leading to that higher fWAR .I was thinking that the dome in Tampa Bay might be responsible for that. No wet grass and surer footing in a dome while he was also getting better defensively the last few years.

I don't blame the Sox for non tendering him because of injuries and unfulfilled potential but I also thought he was worthy of a re-sign at a lower rate than what his arbitration numbers would 've been much like how TB did it with incentives. In light of what the Sox paid John Jay, not re-signing Avi is even more mind boggling. Skip Jay, give Avi the $4M add some incentives and voila  you had Avi for 2019. John Jay won't put up 1.7 WAR for the rest of his career . That's what Avi is at for less than half a season.

Anyway Garcia is a FA in 2020 and MLBtraderumors has an article about Avi and compares him to Ozuna, Castellanos and Puig since all are FA's in 2020. It's a good read.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/avisail-garcia-rays-free-agent-value-ozuna-puig-castellanos.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+(MLB+Trade+Rumors)

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

He will also need to catch and throw the ball.  Can't have two Eloy's in any outfield.

Absolutely. That is going to eliminate the option of using Palka there. I keep trying to find a free agent candidate, who has a decent arm and a potent left handed bat. I haven't been able to come up with one. Perhaps in the international market, or via a trade. Basabe is our best internal organizational prospect to fill that role. If he develops into a guy who could produce an OBP of .350, or better and hit 20 homers, he would be terrific in RF. He has the arm and speed to cover RF and more. Robert and Basabe could cover enough of the outfield, that Eloy's responsibility could be reduced to only a fraction of LF. Next in line are Walker and Rutherford, but I'm not as optimistic about either of those guys.

Edited by Lillian

28 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Absolutely. That is going to eliminate the option of using Palka there. I keep trying to find a free agent candidate, who has a decent arm and a potent left handed bat. I haven't been able to come up with one. Perhaps in the international market, or via a trade. Basabe is our best internal organizational prospect to fill that role. If he develops into a guy who could produce an OBP of .350, or better and hit 20 homers, he would be terrific in RF. He has the arm and speed to cover RF and more. Robert and Basabe could cover enough of the outfield, that Eloy's responsibility could be reduced to only a fraction of LF. 

Basabe has hit 40 homers in his minor league career spanning over 2000 at bats. He will never be a 20 homer a year guy in MLB. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mqr said:

Is this a sincere take? Because it’s a doozy. 

Absolutely sincere.   I can’t believe people continue to under estimate the abilities of Avi.   He came up young and struggled early but continues to get better.   He will win multiple MVP awards before he retires and certainly be enshrined in Cooperstown.   People lament the trading of Tatis Jr. but letting Avi walk for nothing will be viewed as a much larger mistake in the long term.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Basabe has hit 40 homers in his minor league career spanning over 2000 at bats. He will never be a 20 homer a year guy in MLB. 

MLB Pipeline states that he has "20/20" potential. Let's remember that he is only 22 and just now recovering from the Hamate surgery. I'm hopeful. He had 15, in just 119 games, last year, including 6, in just 61 games, at Birmingham.

Edited by Lillian

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

MLB Pipeline states that he has "20/20" potential. Let's remember that he is only 22 and just now recovering from the Hamate surgery. I'm hopeful. He had 15, in just 119 at bats, last year, including 6, in just 61 games, at Birmingham.

Saying Basabe will never hit 20 homers is crazy. He may never make big leagues, but there is definitely a big league version of him that hits 20 home runs.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

RF is the big bugaboo and Hahn is an idiot for not grabbing Domingo Santana this offseason. That is all. 

Another right handed hitter. He wouldn't have solved the problem. Someone has got to hit left handed, besides Moncada. 

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Another right handed hitter. He wouldn't have solved the problem. Someone has got to hit left handed, besides Moncada. 

While I agree, Santana would have been more of a stopgap while the OF logjam in the minors played out. I agree with you that they need more LH hitters. Collins could be that guy, should he stick at C or DH. Rutherford and Gonzalez are internal options if they could get their shit together at AA. I don't think Walker has the arm to play RF. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I brought it up yesterday in the game thread and was pretty much brushed off, but Tim's future may be in the OF.  While he has undoubtedly been a bright spot this year with the bat and has become one of my favorites with his swagger and love of the game, he is on pace for about 40 (!) errors at SS this year (13 errors in 53 games at SS, translates to one every .245 games over 162, that is 39.7 errors).  I know in the past he has had a lot of errors earlier in the season and tightened up as the season moves along, but Lindor's career high is 14.  Not that he needs to be Lindor, but he can't just give outs away.  SS is too critical a position defensively to have a butcher out that.  And while Tim certainly makes some unbelievable plays, he has to make the easy ones too.  

I don't know that the OF is the best solution -- in fact it is almost certainly not.  Obviously Tim is incredibly valuable at SS and has all the skills needed to play there, I hope they have a plan to help him improve.  Can they hire Ron Washington?  They have to do something, you can't just keep giving the other team extra outs.  

Didi, Andrus, and Simmons could all be FA in the next 2 offseasons.

Edit: I don't know, maybe I am overreacting here.  I just saw the error total yesterday and kind of dumbfounded by how high it was this early in the season.  Tim's positives far outweigh the errors, and I think he even makes the spectacular play enough to outweigh it.  So I don't know.  I would just prefer fewer errors.  Haha.

Edited by turnin' two

40 minutes ago, Lillian said:

MLB Pipeline states that he has "20/20" potential. Let's remember that he is only 22 and just now recovering from the Hamate surgery. I'm hopeful. He had 15, in just 119 at bats, last year, including 6, in just 61 games, at Birmingham.

Basabe hit 15 homers in 119 at bats last year? Did you mean games?