OUTFIELD A MAJOR ISSUE.

tpz76

5 hours ago, Lillian said:

Another right handed hitter. He wouldn't have solved the problem. Someone has got to hit left handed, besides Moncada. 

Have you looked at Scooter Gennett's stats ? I know he is primarily a 2nd baseman but he has also played 3rd and the OF in LF and RF . He has some pop. He would be a nice alternative if we can't get Rendon and might even play a decent RF though I have no idea. Also could just use him primarily at 2nd. Rather him than Madrigal and Madrigal could be used as a trade piece if he shows more on his way up. Or if he shows enough you can trade Gennett. You won't see any 2019 stats for Gennett because he's been out all year.

On 6/5/2019 at 9:49 AM, ChiSox59 said:

Avi would have been a FA after this season. His success is rather meaningless.  

Sox can't afford Avi?? Cmon. He ain't gonna command elite money as much as greg loves him.

7 hours ago, sin city sox fan said:

Absolutely sincere.   I can’t believe people continue to under estimate the abilities of Avi.   He came up young and struggled early but continues to get better.   He will win multiple MVP awards before he retires and certainly be enshrined in Cooperstown.   People lament the trading of Tatis Jr. but letting Avi walk for nothing will be viewed as a much larger mistake in the long term.

Mock Avi all u want but 2 seasons ago he had a special campaign. Why treat a guy as disposable when the only concern is hammy type injury? Get a better trainer for gosh sakes. Some sports franchises don't have hammy issues much.

Anderson is hitting well enough to be a right fielder. He’d be GG out there. Get somebody like nick Ahmed to play a great shortstop. Pretty sure Andrelton Simmons and Marcus Semien  both free agents after next year. 

Edited by Baker

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Mock Avi all u want but 2 seasons ago he had a special campaign. Why treat a guy as disposable when the only concern is hammy type injury? Get a better trainer for gosh sakes. Some sports franchises don't have hammy issues much.

You could do a lot worse than Avi 2017 model.  Doesn't cover quite the ground I like but great arm.

I'm not mocking him at all.   I'm disappointed we let a top level talent like that just walk away with no return.   

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

I hear what you are saying but it wasn't just a hamstring. He had other injuries as well. But what really caused me to raise an eyebrow was when he publicly told the mainsteam media he was out of shape one year and vowed to do better in that regard.

I appreciated his honesty but if you want to get on the bad side of Sox fans, you admit you were out of shape and as a professional athlete there is simply no excuse for that. It's not like 60 years ago when guys had to work in the off season to make some more money.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

You could do a lot worse than Avi 2017 model.  Doesn't cover quite the ground I like but great arm.

Avi is actually very fast. He's huge like a linebacker and maybe he starts off slow but once he gets it in gear he can really move. In that 2017 season he had over 20 infield hits, many of them coming on routine plays where the SS took his sweet time and all of a sudden looked up to throw and there was AVi beating the throw. He hustles all the time, probably why he gets a bum knee and hamstring problems. Probably need to stretch those hammy's more than he does.

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Have you looked at Scooter Gennett's stats ? I know he is primarily a 2nd baseman but he has also played 3rd and the OF in LF and RF . He has some pop. He would be a nice alternative if we can't get Rendon and might even play a decent RF though I have no idea. Also could just use him primarily at 2nd. Rather him than Madrigal and Madrigal could be used as a trade piece if he shows more on his way up. Or if he shows enough you can trade Gennett. You won't see any 2019 stats for Gennett because he's been out all year.

I would love the Sox target Gennett for 2B next year. All on board with him being an under-the-radar type get next offseason similar to what the Twins did with Schoop.

41 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I hear what you are saying but it wasn't just a hamstring. He had other injuries as well. But what really caused me to raise an eyebrow was when he publicly told the mainsteam media he was out of shape one year and vowed to do better in that regard.

I appreciated his honesty but if you want to get on the bad side of Sox fans, you admit you were out of shape and as a professional athlete there is simply no excuse for that. It's not like 60 years ago when guys had to work in the off season to make some more money.

Lip man, the Avi I saw busted his ass. I don't remember the comment about being out of shape one year. I do know every offseason we read about guys dropping 10-20 pounds and being in the best shape of their life, etc. It's the cliche offseason story.  As a Sox fan I just get confused at the disdain for some players. As surprising as the Sox have been, think how much better our lineup would have been this year with Avi hitting .300 with 11 homers and 28 RBI through 200 at bats? He even has six stolen bases. To tell you the truth, I liked Avi and Davidson for dumb reasons, fan reasons. I watched a lot of games on MLB.com in which Avi and Davidson just CRUSHED the ball. I enjoyed it. I like excitement. Avi provided it for me at least and I tend to stand up for players like that.

As far as guys who get hurt, it is disappointing but I tend to blame the training staff as well when it's hammy issues. Figure it out, training staff, help the guys in that regard. Again my reasoning may be b.s., but I liked watching Avi on TV.

Edited by greg775

6 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I would love the Sox target Gennett for 2B next year. All on board with him being an under-the-radar type get next offseason similar to what the Twins did with Schoop.

I would spend the  money where the needs are...starting pitching & right field.  Madrigal is on the fast track and Sanchez can hold it down until Madrigal gets here.

On 6/5/2019 at 5:44 AM, Capital G said:

This is why I would like to see us go after Ozuna. Our current OF is thin. Other than Robert no one else is standing out in the minors.

I would not mind starting off 2020 with Jimenez (although he needs to DH at some point), Ozuna, L. Garcia.... with Robert taking over Garcia's spot when brought up.

If Robert is the only good OF prospect then my optimism meter is plunging.

1 hour ago, TBrown54 said:

If Robert is the only good OF prospect then my optimism meter is plunging.

I think others still need/have time. But until I see someone stand out I would rather play it safe and sign Ozuna.

I'd be happy with an OF of Ozuna, Robert, Jimenez sometime next year.

11 hours ago, poppysox said:

I would spend the  money where the needs are...starting pitching & right field.  Madrigal is on the fast track and Sanchez can hold it down until Madrigal gets here.

Sanchez belongs on the bench, there isn't a reason he should be starting at this point. Madrigal needs to force his way onto the roster. Get a guy that will help the club win and not break the bank, and if/when Madrigal is ready, you can always move him to a contender. Gennett is going to need to re-establish his value, so why not for the Sox?

9 hours ago, Capital G said:

I think others still need/have time. But until I see someone stand out I would rather play it safe and sign Ozuna.

I'd be happy with an OF of Ozuna, Robert, Jimenez sometime next year.

I don't currently view White Sox as potential destination for top-of-line free agents.  Too many empty seats.  And fan base is not going to get amped up by big-time FA signing (remember Albert Belle), especially with inept front office unable to produce home-grown stars.  Need a new "Kids Can Play" era with these prospects to get the fans excited before White Sox will be taken seriously in FA market.

3 minutes ago, TBrown54 said:

I don't currently view White Sox as potential destination for top-of-line free agents.  Too many empty seats.  And fan base is not going to get amped up by big-time FA signing (remember Albert Belle), especially with inept front office unable to produce home-grown stars.  Need a new "Kids Can Play" era with these prospects to get the fans excited before White Sox will be taken seriously in FA market.

"The Time is Now"

4 hours ago, TBrown54 said:

$$$$$ If you pay enough, they will come. (Meaning free agents)

Edited by Lip Man 1

15 minutes ago, TBrown54 said:

Man, that's just a rephrasing of "All In."  No Thanks!

Some folks figure if we can't run away with the division and emerge as a WS favorite it's not even worth competing. I prefer getting in the playoffs any way possible, even at 3 games over .500 and taking my chances. This new era of sports is maddening. I hope the commish has the guts to strip No. 1 picks from teams that are deemed "tanking."

Some folks figure if we can't run away with the division and emerge as a WS favorite it's not even worth competing. I prefer getting in the playoffs any way possible, even at 3 games over .500 and taking my chances. This new era of sports is maddening. I hope the commish has the guts to strip No. 1 picks from teams that are deemed "tanking."

I agree to a point; they can go 83-79 but it must be 83-79 with young stars-on-the-rise, not like that mostly veteran 2012 team that somehow won 88 games.  Then, the sports talk media bashed Sox fans all year:  Why weren't Sox drawing 30,000 every night?  They're in first place! 

But to fans it was obvious; who could get excited about Adam Dunn and a .204 batting average?  The Sox played Kenny Ball down the stretch -- just as they were designed to do -- and it was the first season since 2004 (and first of now seven straight seasons and counting) that they failed to draw 2 million fans. 

Even worse:  In Kenny's Decade of Darkness, the clock had not yet struck midnight. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

That's a really good idea.