Nick Madrigal promoted to Birmingham

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Aight. Sure. We know Regions Field won't be sapping his power.

Do you just never want him to go there?

Doesn't matter what field or level he is at, he can still be working on his power. Sure we might not see the home runs but if he is hitting more doubles and triples and we see video of him driving the ball more, who cares?

I think we have been underaggressive with promotions but this has been one where I don't necessarily agree with it, unless they want to show to him he needs to rework his swing and think birmingham will convince him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Do you just never want him to go there?

Doesn't matter what field or level he is at, he can still be working on his power. Sure we might not see the home runs but if he is hitting more doubles and triples and we see video of him driving the ball more, who cares?

Was a joke. I'm a staunch Madrigal supporter. I think his game will largely be unaffected by Regions Field.

• Like 1

When I hear interviews with Madrigal I honestly think he was trying too hard to get W-S to win and at Birmingham they need him to be one of the best players offensively, so maybe he will double down on that.

Having him hit with Robert again is not a bad thing. Also..hoping that change of scenery can light a fire a bit and he embraces the chance. Also good that barons are finally starting to hit as a team more...that can be contagious hopefully.

And since yolmer is really it and will be looking at 6-7 mil in arbitration...I don't mind this one bit. Save that money for a RF bat 

Edited by EloyJenkins

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Makes me wonder how fast they are going to with Vaughn too.

I could be wrong, but I see Vaughn getting some reps in Kannapolis, and finishing the last 6 weeks of the season at Winston Salem...with the possibility of playing in the AFL. 

Ideally he starts next season in High A, and reaches AA by June/July

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Having him hit with Robert again is not a bad thing. Also..hoping that change of scenery can light a fire a bit and he embraces the chance. Also good that barons are finally starting to hit as a team more...that can be contagious hopefully.

And since yolmer is really it and will be looking at 6-7 mil in arbitration...I don't mind this one bit. Save that money for a RF bat 

Not sure what you mean by this but he's been hitting really well lately. His OPS is above .800 over his last ~15 games IIRC

Edited by soxfan49

In his last 19 games at A+ Madrigal has these stats:

PA 86

AB 75

R 11

RBI 6

H 23

1B 18

2B 3

3B 0

HR 2

TB 32

BB 7 (8.14%)

K 2 (2.33%)

HBP 2

SF 2

SB 11 (He's stealing a base 36.7% of the time he gets on base)

CS 1

AVG .307

OBP .372

SLG .427

OPS .799

ISO .120 (last year his ISO was a 0.45 across 3 levels, this year it is .105 at A+)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Where do you guys think Madrigal’s spot in the lineup will be when he finally makes it to Chicago? I really want Vizquel to lead him off so he can get acclimated to being a true lead off hitter in the bigs.

If he can maintain on On Base % around .350 I see no reason why he wouldn't hit 1 or 2. If not that high of On Base % then 8 or 9.

11 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Where do you guys think Madrigal’s spot in the lineup will be when he finally makes it to Chicago? I really want Vizquel to lead him off so he can get acclimated to being a true lead off hitter in the bigs.

He's either a 1 hitter or a 9 hitter. It all depends on his on base skill, which seems to be dependent on his BA because he doesn't walk a ton. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

He's either a 1 hitter or a 9 hitter. It all depends on his on base skill, which seems to be dependent on his BA because he doesn't walk a ton. 

Posted in another thread, but number 9 hitter given likely personnel 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Posted in another thread, but number 9 hitter given likely personnel 

Who’s the personnel you have in mind for 1?

Edit: I see you said Robert/Moncada. Not sure I love that but I get your point.

Edited by mqr

I don't think he's ready for this but maybe Getz is right and he has recently made some adjustments, or maybe the poster here was right and the wrist injury was really bothering him until literally just the last 2 weeks somehow. This is "classic White Sox" level aggressive.

Anyway, the setup is still the same. As he moves up levels, the pitchers he face will be more apt to strike him out and the defense will be more apt to turn weak contact into outs - with the big league being the biggest jump in both of those. And as with before, it's all about the power numbers - not HR, but extra base hits in total. If the defense can play in on him because they don't think he can hit the ball over their heads, then he won't get hits on shallow fly balls or short line drives.  If he can make his numbers improve at AA relative to A-ball, then he starts looking like a real big league starter. if his numbers deteriorate again, well we know what that means.