Nick Madrigal promoted to Birmingham

Sleepy Harold

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

He's either a 1 hitter or a 9 hitter. It all depends on his on base skill, which seems to be dependent on his BA because he doesn't walk a ton. 

Yeah. I think it comes down to Robert. Do Sox want Robert to be the Alfonso Soriano leadoff type with 40 homers or slot him at #2 or #5. Moncada as a #2 just works I think. 

If I had my way for 2021-

1. Robert

2. Moncada

3. Jimenez

4. Vaughn

5. JD Martinez/Collins/Burger DH

6. McCann/Collins

7. Anderson

8. RF FA

9. Madrigal

For 2020 I think JD is the target for DH and you put whomever at first.

48 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think we have been underaggressive with promotions but this has been one where I don't necessarily agree with it, unless they want to show to him he needs to rework his swing and think birmingham will convince him.

Sounds like a terrible reason to promote someone. 

1 minute ago, TheTruth05 said:

I don't hate it, wish we would have seen harder contact in High A before bumping him up but now we're going to see what he really is made of. 

I mean we have over the last 2.5 weeks. Whether that was a long enough time to see harder contact, idk

11 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Yeah. I think it comes down to Robert. Do Sox want Robert to be the Alfonso Soriano leadoff type with 40 homers or slot him at #2 or #5. Moncada as a #2 just works I think. 

If I had my way for 2021-

1. Robert

2. Moncada

3. Jimenez

4. Vaughn

5. JD Martinez/Collins/Burger DH

6. McCann/Collins

7. Anderson

8. RF FA

9. Madrigal

For 2020 I think JD is the target for DH and you put whomever at first.

Switch 6 and 8 and I agree. I’m also of the opinion Collins isn’t going to be a big leaguer. Oh and Abreu will be the DH

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I mean we have over the last 2.5 weeks. Whether that was a long enough time to see harder contact, idk

Since he snapped out of that funk he's had 5 extra base hits in 19 games. That's actually down from the rate in April. 

35 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Where do you guys think Madrigal’s spot in the lineup will be when he finally makes it to Chicago? I really want Vizquel to lead him off so he can get acclimated to being a true lead off hitter in the bigs.

My late 2020 Rosterbation

Robert - CF
Moncada# - 3B
Vaughn - 1B
Anderson- SS
Collins* - C
Jimenez - DH
Basabe# - RF / Free Agent / Trade Target like Waters# from the braves
Madrigal - 2B
Gonzalez* - LF

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I could be wrong, but I see Vaughn getting some reps in Kannapolis, and finishing the last 6 weeks of the season at Winston Salem...with the possibility of playing in the AFL. 

Ideally he starts next season in High A, and reaches AA by June/July

I see you got a jump on the legal marijuana. He'll start in WS and move quickly. Peace out and 4/20

Just now, zisk said:

I see you got a jump on the legal marijuana. He'll start in WS and move quickly. Peace out and 4/20

It depends on how long it takes to get him signed and playing games. If it takes a little while, he'll get a quick tune up in Kanny

I can see how if the Sox had evaluated Madrigal to be basically ready for AA to start the year, him having a nice little run like he did is probably as good of a pretense as any to move him up. Although his season numbers aren't way different from last year, he has hit for more power (not to be confused with actually hitting for power) and has importantly greatly reduced the rate of ground balls.

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

His walk percentage is over 8%.  That's better than Moncada this year.  Madrigal's not a free swinger.

Well, one is in A ball and the other is an MLB hitter who's still refining his approach and has been transparent about it. I'll be completely shocked if Madrigal ever draws more walks than Moncada. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

In his last 19 games at A+ Madrigal has these stats:

PA 86

AB 75

R 11

RBI 6

H 23

1B 18

2B 3

3B 0

HR 2

TB 32

BB 7 (8.14%)

K 2 (2.33%)

HBP 2

SF 2

SB 11 (He's stealing a base 36.7% of the time he gets on base)

CS 1

AVG .307

OBP .372

SLG .427

OPS .799

ISO .120 (last year his ISO was a 0.45 across 3 levels, this year it is .105 at A+)

22 minutes ago, Jake said:

Madrigal's final 17 games in Winston-Salem:

.313 average, .385 OBP, .448 SLG

3 2B, 2 HR, 9 SB 1 CS

7 BB (1 IBB), 2 HBP, 1 K

Thanks for sharing this. These are actual reasons to promote him, unlike "he doesn't strike out much so obviously he's ready" 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

Well, one is in A ball and the other is an MLB hitter who's still refining his approach and has been transparent about it. I'll be completely shocked if Madrigal ever draws more walks than Moncada. 

Ha, exactly. By that logic, Zack Collins is going to be one of the most disciplined hitters in MLB history over an illustrious career 

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Me too.  I'm just pointing out that this idea that Madrigal's OBP will be driven entirely by his batting average is false.  I think he'll walk at a league average rate. 

I do think there's a train of thought that he's a .700-ish OPS guy and he's going to put up similar numbers at every level so there's no use spinning the wheels waiting for him to perform better than you think he will. The idea being that his numbers won't vary level to level all that much, so once he's locked in at this level of production, just promote him and wait till he gets locked in at the same productivity at the next league, and so on.

6 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Me too.  I'm just pointing out that this idea that Madrigal's OBP will be driven entirely by his batting average is false.  I think he'll walk at a league average rate. 

Right on. I agree with that. I think he'll be an ideal situational hitter, whose slash line might not be impressive, but will help the team win. He's going to challenge the sabr guys.