Nick Madrigal promoted to Birmingham

Sleepy Harold

47 minutes ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

I wasn't trying to point it out to say he's been unlucky, just merely pointing out that he's a .300 hitter with a .777 OPS with a BABIP that is easily maintainable.

Understood. Then I agree.

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

With his speed and hit profile, a normalized league average BABIP would be very surprising.

He profiles with his speed and hit spread to be on the high end of BABIP outcomes.

He is above average as a runner, but his contact profile isn't special. That he always makes contact is what will fuel his BABIP, IMO. Hitting a bunch of ground balls to the right side, however, doesn't scream high BABIP to me. 

17 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

In 2 weeks, people have gone from "he's a bust" to "call him up." Gotta love fans. 😂

I would like to point out my 'he could probably hang in the majors' comment should not be confused with call him up right now comment

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

In 2 weeks, people have gone from "he's a bust" to "call him up." Gotta love fans. 😂

Well, not really. The people labeling him a bust haven’t shown up in Madrigal threads over the past week. I wonder why 🤷‍♂

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Well, not really. The people labeling him a bust haven’t shown up in Madrigal threads over the past week. I wonder why 🤷‍♂

He’s clearly off to a great start in AA, as he seems to be adjusting well.  Still have massive concerns about his ability to hit the ball over the head of the outfielders.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/butlebr01.shtml

Small guy who was a heck of a top of the order hitter. Just 54 homers in 17 seasons (4 per year). Put up 50 WAR and wasn't a plus defender. You don't have to hit hr to be a great hitter. 

He also averaged 83 walks per season. If Madrigal does that I don't think anyone will care about his home run totals 

• Like 1

I've been saying it since Day 1. DJ LeMahieu. 9 season, 56 HR, BB rate at 7%, strikeout rate at 15% (Madrigal should be lower), .299 career hitter, tremendous defender. Not a star, but the last 4 seasons he's been a 2-4 fWAR guy. Take that profile, reduce the strikeouts a bit, but add a ton more speed. That could be a 3-5 fWAR guy for Madrigal averaging about 6-8 HR a year.

If Madrigal and Robert hit their ceilings, I think I would hit Moncada 3. The team needs some left handed pop toward the middle of the lineup. Yeah, I get that you want your best hitters at the very top (1-2 spots) to give them the most at bats but you're literally talking one spot down in the order at number 3 behind guys who can get on-base often (again, if they hit their ceilings). A 1-6 of Robert, Madrigal, Moncada, Jimenez, Vaughn, Collins looks pretty good to me.

The way he handles an AB reminds me of the older Luis Castillo... Guy could foul off pitches like no other, swipe bags, and walk at a decent clip.... If Madrigal ends up being him, I wouldn't even be mad... one of those tough outs that pitchers loathe to face.

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

If Madrigal and Robert hit their ceilings, I think I would hit Moncada 3. The team needs some left handed pop toward the middle of the lineup. Yeah, I get that you want your best hitters at the very top (1-2 spots) to give them the most at bats but you're literally talking one spot down in the order at number 3 behind guys who can get on-base often (again, if they hit their ceilings). A 1-6 of Robert, Madrigal, Moncada, Jimenez, Vaughn, Collins looks pretty good to me.

If both Madrigal and Robert hit their ceilings, the Sox are going to win multiple championships and it won't much matter how the lineup is set.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

If both Madrigal and Robert hit their ceilings, the Sox are going to win multiple championships and it won't much matter how the lineup is set.

Wholeheartedly disagree.  No matter how good your offense is, you still need guys to pitch.  Kopech and Cease could go much further in determining the success of the rebuild than Robert and Madrigal.

I'm pretty sure Mike Trout has played beyond any sort of reasonable ceiling projection, and his team has made the playoffs once.  Even if Robert is Trout, and Madrigal is Brett Butler, that won't be enough, even paired with the guys that are already here.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Wholeheartedly disagree.  No matter how good your offense is, you still need guys to pitch.  Kopech and Cease could go much further in determining the success of the rebuild than Robert and Madrigal.

I'm pretty sure Mike Trout has played beyond any sort of reasonable ceiling projection, and his team has made the playoffs once.  Even if Robert is Trout, and Madrigal is Brett Butler, that won't be enough, even paired with the guys that are already here.

I'm guessing that part of the poster's point is that Robert's ceiling, if you want to talk best case scenarios, literally is a faster Mike Trout. Surrounded by what our core looks like it will be, that would definitely be a better supporting cast than what Trout himself has. I see where you're coming from though. 

48 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm guessing that part of the poster's point is that Robert's ceiling, if you want to talk best case scenarios, literally is a faster Mike Trout. Surrounded by what our core looks like it will be, that would definitely be a better supporting cast than what Trout himself has. I see where you're coming from though. 

Not sure I agree on that. I think Robert's ceiling is Soriano. Regardless that'd be pretty damn good.

If Madrigal hits, pitchers are not going to want to pitch to him when there are men in scoring position.  If there is someone on first, he will be marvelous for hitting and running or for getting a single or double in that situation.  I'm sure he will take any walks that come his way.  When no one is on base, a base hit could soon find him on second with his ability to steal, or he can wait for the big boys to drive him in.   If he hits, pitchers are going to have to be careful with him, and he will get his share of walks.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

He just needs to grow into like 40 grade power (say 13 homers and a 140 iso).

I had previously thought that he wouldn't be able to hit even that many homers, however now that I've seen so many smaller players hit homers and the distance on some of the balls hit by average sized guys, I've changed my mind. This lively ball and the hitter friendly Guaranteed Rate Field should afford him the chance to hit a few homers. Given his extraordinary contact skills, I think he will hit enough homers to garner a 40 grade for power. Moreover, he will almost certainly get stronger, with his weight training regimen.

17 hours ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

2019 Line for Madrigal

.303/.372/.398

.770 OPS

.095 ISO

.302 BABIP

24 BB (8.03%)

7 K (2.34%)

264 ABs

26 SBs

8 CS

98.95 Fielding %

His fielding percentage is bonkers. If he has the type of range reported/expected, that’s the best defensive 2b in baseball.