When Madrigal gets to the White Sox...

KnightsOnMintSt

When Nick Madrigal gets promoted to the White Sox, where should he bat? I think the answer would generally be lead off, but I like the idea of him batting 9th. 

Assuming our top prospects pan out, the top/middle part of the lineup could look something like this:

1. Robert 

2. Moncada 

3. Jimenez 

4. Vaughn

5. Abreu

I like the idea of Madrigal batting 9th, with that top/middle part of the lineup coming up after him. 

Thoughts?

• Haha 1

If he continues to steal well, rarely k's, not a pure pull hitter by any means, would the two hole be unreasonable?  Gotta figure any time Robert on first and Madrigal singles, Robert goes to third.  Also Madrigals patience may allow Robert to steal second.  First third situation may allow Madrigal to take second?

13 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

When Nick Madrigal gets promoted to the White Sox, where should he bat? I think the answer would generally be lead off, but I like the idea of him batting 9th. 

Assuming our top prospects pan out, the top/middle part of the lineup could look something like this:

1. Robert 

2. Moncada 

3. Jimenez 

4. Vaughn

5. Abreu

I like the idea of Madrigal batting 9th, with that top/middle part of the lineup coming up after him. 

Thoughts?

Too soon to really project. 

At this point I see him as a 9 hole hitter for a while and hope around age 25 he starts to put it together. I think he's going to need a lot of reps to get his offensive game to maturity and I hope at maturity it is a bat you'd put at the top.

3 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Too soon to really project. 

Filling out the rest of that lineup is really the million dollar question.  When this rebuild began, we were very top heavy.  We had some valuable assets (Sale, Q, Eaton, etc.), but not nearly enough depth to actually be competitive.  With a bunch of our second-tier prospects hurt or struggling, I'm worried we're headed to the same place again.  If we don't right that ship, we're going to have to make some smart FA signings and/or trades to fill the gap.  

3 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

Filling out the rest of that lineup is really the million dollar question.  When this rebuild began, we were very top heavy.  We had some valuable assets (Sale, Q, Eaton, etc.), but not nearly enough depth to actually be competitive.  With a bunch of our second-tier prospects hurt or struggling, I'm worried we're headed to the same place again.  If we don't right that ship, we're going to have to make some smart FA signings and/or trades to fill the gap.  

Couldn’t agree more. They need to use resources to improve the core, as too many failed prospects have killed the depth. That’s fine if the main guys are stars, but there’s not enough in the system to plug all the holes. It’s disappointing so many resources were put into acquiring outfielders and starting pitching, and there are so few sure things out there now.

17 hours ago, fathom said:

Couldn’t agree more. They need to use resources to improve the core, as too many failed prospects have killed the depth. That’s fine if the main guys are stars, but there’s not enough in the system to plug all the holes. It’s disappointing so many resources were put into acquiring outfielders and starting pitching, and there are so few sure things out there now.

Feels a little early to call them all "failed prospects". I mean guys can struggle for half a season or even longer and still end up in the majors.

2 hours ago, Superstar Lamar said:

also need to ask, where should he play?

I would like to see him develop some defensive diversity.

A whole lot of people have suggested that him being a gold-glove caliber 2b will make up for his weak offensive performance. 

19 minutes ago, ron883 said:

If**** Madrigal gets to the White Sox.  We really penciling this guy in? He didn't do anything special in A+. Let's pump the brakes here

"Didn't do anything?" His OPS was right around .800 in his last 20 or so games. Pay attention

3 hours ago, ron883 said:

If**** Madrigal gets to the White Sox.  We really penciling this guy in? He didn't do anything special in A+. Let's pump the brakes here

I think it's safe to assume that if Madrigal can maintain even just a .700 OPS at AA and AAA, he will become the Sox starting 2B in short order.  The biggest question to me isn't whether he's going to make it, it's whether in time he can become an offensive force at the top of the lineup (.350+ OBP, .800 OPS), or whether he's a bottom-of-the-order role player who provides most of his value on defense.

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Wow, an OPS of 800 over 20 games in A+ as an advanced prospect. Color me impressed.

But you said "didn't do anything" so once again you're wrong.

If Madrigal has an .800 ops in the MLB with no K's and a really good glove, he's going to be a good player for a long time.

10 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

But you said "didn't do anything" so once again you're wrong.

If Madrigal has an .800 ops in the MLB with no K's and a really good glove, he's going to be a good player for a long time.

He had an .800  for 20 freaking games as an advanced player in A+. Let's slow down on projecting those stats as an MLB player. 

He hasn't proven anything to me yet. He didn't light the world on fire at A+ and could have stayed longer. Let's see how he does at AA before we slate him as an all-star. 

50 minutes ago, ron883 said:

He had an .800  for 20 freaking games as an advanced player in A+. Let's slow down on projecting those stats as an MLB player. 

He hasn't proven anything to me yet. He didn't light the world on fire at A+ and could have stayed longer. Let's see how he does at AA before we slate him as an all-star. 

Who slated him as an all star? You said he did nothing. He raked over the last 20 games and got promoted.

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2019 at 12:26 PM, KnightsOnMintSt said:

1. Robert 

2. Moncada 

3. Jimenez 

4. Vaughn

5. Abreu

Thoughts?

I think the 9 spot makes a lot of sense, especially if Moncada stays in the 2 spot. Robert kind of is a wildcard though. I could see him leading off or be a solid middle of the order bat.

33 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Ideally with his bat control and lack of strikeouts he should be in the two hole

Yes, I feel like he’s getting the lead off guy to third, stealing second, and getting the #3 hitter a free walk to load the bases or ducks on the old pond.  

Robert is so fast.  I’m leaning towards him being leadoff so he can easily score on a Madrigal double or easily take third on a single.