Kimbrel to Cubs

Moan4Yoan

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I understand why they need to do it, but they will regret it. 

Why?  We don’t even know the terms yet.  They didn’t have to give up a a draft pick and they haven’t paid Zobrist his salary since he was placed on the Restricted List on May 8th due to his divorce.  Zobrist exiting will pay for Kimbrel this year.  Also, it’s only money and the Cubs are swimming in it.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Why?  We don’t even know the terms yet.  They didn’t have to give up a a draft pick and they haven’t paid Zobrist his salary since he was placed on the Restricted List on May 8th due to his divorce.  Zobrist exiting will pay for Kimbrel this year.  Also, it’s only money and the Cubs are swimming in it.

I just don't think he has much left after watching him at the end of last year. He will be another guy they can't depend on in high leverage situations. The money really doesn't matter as I just don't think he will be dependable in the long run.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I just don't think he has much left after watching him at the end of last year. He will be another guy they can't depend on in high leverage situations. The money really doesn't matter as I just don't think he will be dependable in the long run.

His numbers in September of last year were fine.  Not sure what you saw.  Definitely worth a shot for this reason alone...

https://mobile.twitter.com/KyleAGlaser/status/1136432272868093952?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

7 minutes ago, Sockin said:

So a little under 15m a year. Pretty big drop in price. Didn't he want like 20M+?

Chump change for the Cubs.  Pretty good deal.  I don’t see them regretting that contract.  Plus, the Cubs basically got back $9 million of Zobrist’s $12 million dollar salary for this season to give to Kimbrel when he essentially retired.  They also get insurance money back at the end of the season for Morrow being a bum and never pitching.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

10 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

His numbers in September of last year were fine.  Not sure what you saw.  Definitely worth a shot for this reason alone...

https://mobile.twitter.com/KyleAGlaser/status/1136432272868093952?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

I was thinking more in the playoffs. I'm old and could be wrong but I remember a poor post season.

They have to do it for this season, they dont have much else. That's why I said I understand why they are doing it. I just think they will regret it.

31 minutes ago, mqr said:

Pretty close to twenty when you consider it’s only 2.5 years

True, but it’s also more like 2.5-years, $36 million to the Cubs due to the freed up Zobrist money (around $9 million).  I’m sure the Cubs already know that Zobrist is done for the year and possibly going to retire.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

13 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Chump change for the Cubs.  Pretty good deal.  I don’t see them regretting that contract.  Plus, the Cubs basically got back $9 million of Zobrist’s $12 million dollar salary for this season to give to Kimbrel when he essentially retired.  They also get insurance money back at the end of the season for Morrow being a bum and never pitching.

Theo paying for not being able to draft pitching. It will be interesting to see how close to the penalty they are and what it does to their ability to sign/keep players next year.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Theo paying for not being able to draft pitching. It will be interesting to see how close to the penalty they are and what it does to their ability to sign/keep players next year.

I agree that Theo has failed to develop pitching.  But all of their moves year after year prove that it doesn’t matter.  They are printing money.  They need a closer?  Boom, here’s $45 million.

Hahn barely gets to spend that in one offseason.  He must be jealous.  No expensive toys for Rick.  Rick would never get this kind of love from his ownership.  Gotta be nice.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

All of their moves year after year prove that it doesn’t matter.  They are printing money.  They need a closer?  Boom, here’s $45 million.

Hahn barely gets to spend that in one offseason.  He must be jealous.  No expensive toys for Rick.

Their excuse for not adding any significant players this past offseason was that they didn't want to get into the penalty tax. If Zobrist doesnt have marital problems they ,at not have done this deal.

Maybe once the new TV revenue kicks in they won't care about the penalty.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Their excuse for not adding any significant players this past offseason was that they didn't want to get into the penalty tax. If Zobrist doesnt have marital problems they ,at not have done this deal.

Maybe once the new TV revenue kicks in they won't care about the penalty.

I guess it doesn’t really matter.  It’s worked out for them.  And yes, they will be printing even more money when they get that new TV station revenue.

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

Say what you want but at least the bad guys on the Northside are trying to win. I can't say the same about the White Sox management team.

Funny. I think Cub fans were saying the same thing back in 2012 when the Cubs were awful and the Sox were trying to win. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan of Steel said:

Funny. I think Cub fans were saying the same thing back in 2012 when the Cubs were awful and the Sox were trying to win. 

And the Cubs and Astros were awful for more seasons (so far). The Astros lost 100 games 3 years in a row. The Sox had 1. Can you imagine the reaction here if the Sox did that?

While the Sox rebuild has been painful it hasn't been (so far) that bad.