Kimbrel to Cubs

Moan4Yoan

27 minutes ago, ptatc said:

And the Cubs and Astros were awful for more seasons (so far). The Astros lost 100 games 3 years in a row. The Sox had 1. Can you imagine the reaction here if the Sox did that?

While the Sox rebuild has been painful it hasn't been (so far) that bad.

The Sox haven’t been to the playoffs in 11 years.  In those 11 years, the Sox only have 2 seasons that they finished with a record over .500.  I don’t know about anyone else but does it really matter if you lose only 85 games instead of 100?!?  A losing season without making the playoffs is a bad and disappointing season regardless.

I think the reaction would be pretty much the same as what you have already seen — zero trust and faith in Sox ownership and the front office.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

41 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The Sox haven’t been to the playoffs in 11 years.  In those 11 years, the Sox only have 2 seasons that they finished with a record over .500.  I don’t know about anyone else but does it really matter if you lose only 85 games instead of 100?!?  A losing season without making the playoffs is a bad and disappointing season regardless.

I think the reaction would be pretty much the same as what you have already seen — zero trust and faith in Sox ownership and the front office.

I think with that many 100 loss seasons it would be worse. That 100 mark is special. Just my opinion of course.

5 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

If  only Ricketts bought the White Sox......

I'd be a fan of another team. 

The Ricketts have have stood by Addison Russell, Aroldis Chapman, are headed by Old Man Racist Ricketts, they've partnered with Sinclair, and more underhanded shit.

Meanwhile, the absolute worst I can think of from the Sox is the fact that they traded for Brett Myers, which still disgusts me to my core. At some point you gotta call it quits, and the Cubs would be well past that point.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Pro-rated the first year? So whatever his salary is for 2019 wouldn't be the full salary, correct?

There is no pro-rating.  Here are the contract details:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1136451348868882435?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-6867396822925748664.ampproject.net%2F1905292322390%2Fframe.html

Craig Kimbrel's deal with the Chicago Cubs is for three years and $43 million and includes a fourth-year option, sources tell ESPN. He'll receive $10 million this season and $16 million in 2020 and 2021. There is a $1 million buyout on a club/vesting option for the fourth year.”

• Like 1

Regardless of the merits of the Kimbrel deal, the White Sox will eventually have to pay for some veteran talent. Building from within is not a bad philosophy, but young teams don't usually win championships. There comes a time when a veteran presence is needed.  They can't keep sitting on their hands during the off season and use rebuilding as an excuse. And I couldn't care less what the Cubs and Astros did.  Losing is no fun, even with a somewhat hopeful future. 

9 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

If  only Ricketts bought the White Sox......

I would rather have Epstein running the White Sox instead of Hahn. Look at Epsteins record and then look at Hahns record. I have no doubt in my mind that the bad guys on the Northside will continue  to fight for the playoffs  in the forseeable future. Wish I could feel the same way about the White Sox.

20 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I would rather have Epstein running the White Sox instead of Hahn. Look at Epsteins record and then look at Hahns record. I have no doubt in my mind that the bad guys on the Northside will continue  to fight for the playoffs  in the forseeable future. Wish I could feel the same way about the White Sox.

No shit

Edited by soxfan49
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

This is correct in theory but I'm not sure Theo can win without the money he had in Boston and the Cubs. How many teams can buy an entire pitching staff and truly compete? 

He does very well with hitters but he really can't draft and develop pitchers, at least not yet.

It seems like even when a situation goes bad for the Cubs, they come out smelling like a rose:

"The financial component in all of this is the continued absence of 38-year-old utility man Ben Zobrist, who has remained on MLB's restricted list since May 8 in order to tend to a family situation. The longer Zobrist remains away from the team, the more the uncertainty grows about his return. While a player is on the restricted list, they do not receive pay, either. That means the Cubs might have roughly $9 million of Zobrist's $12.5 million salary to reallocate elsewhere." -- MLB.com 

This was where and why the Cubs decided to give it a shot to sign him, Luxury Tax be dammed.

The Cubs may wind up winning the pennant because of Zobrist's divorce...only the Cubs.

Edited by Lip Man 1

On 6/6/2019 at 11:29 AM, Lip Man 1 said:

It seems like even when a situation goes bad for the Cubs, they come out smelling like a rose:

"The financial component in all of this is the continued absence of 38-year-old utility man Ben Zobrist, who has remained on MLB's restricted list since May 8 in order to tend to a family situation. The longer Zobrist remains away from the team, the more the uncertainty grows about his return. While a player is on the restricted list, they do not receive pay, either. That means the Cubs might have roughly $9 million of Zobrist's $12.5 million salary to reallocate elsewhere." -- MLB.com 

This was where and why the Cubs decided to give it a shot to sign him, Luxury Tax be dammed.

The Cubs may wind up winning the pennant because of Zobrist's divorce...only the Cubs.

Isn't it amazing how well that lined up for them? "Oh no bud....this must be rough for you. Why don't you just go ahead and forfeit the remainder of your salary this year, just give us that $9M back, and go deal with your ex-wife. We will just give someone else your money and try to win a championship without you. Best wishes. Thaaaaaaaanks."

Zobrist isn't the first guy to ever get divorced during a season. Family members have DIED during a season. I don't recall a player every just taking off the rest of the year like this and forfeiting their salary. I have to believe this is some sort of agreement that Theo has with Zobrist that he agrees to take the year off, give them the money they need to sign Kimbrel, and then Zobrist will be compensated after he retires by being promised a job with the Cubs or something. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Isn't it amazing how well that lined up for them? "Oh no bud....this must be rough for you. Why don't you just go ahead and forfeit the remainder of your salary this year, just give us that $9M back, and go deal with your ex-wife. We will just give someone else your money and try to win a championship without you. Best wishes. Thaaaaaaaanks."

Zobrist isn't the first guy to ever get divorced during a season. Family members have DIED during a season. I don't recall a player every just taking off the rest of the year like this and forfeiting their salary. I have to believe this is some sort of agreement that Theo has with Zobrist that he agrees to take the year off, give them the money they need to sign Kimbrel, and then Zobrist will be compensated after he retires by being promised a job with the Cubs or something. 

Certainly possible Cubs are very creative in things and very proactive.

25 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Certainly possible Cubs are very creative in things and very proactive.

It's the only way they could do it because they aren't going to spend into they penalty.

I wouldn't say they are necessarily creative but they do spend money. The Sox tried to get creative with Machado and look what happened.

Edited by ptatc

3 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Who in their right mind forgoes that much money because they're going through a divorce? It is not talked about enough how absolutely gd bizarre it is that this  happened.

3 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I guess I assumed that Zobrist would still receive his pay but it wouldn't be counted as a salary, kind of like in hockey when a guy gets put on LTIR. When Hossa went on that, he still got paid but it didn't count against the cap.

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

Who in their right mind forgoes that much money because they're going through a divorce? It is not talked about enough how absolutely gd bizarre it is that this  happened.

Ryne Sandberg retired with a year or two left on his contract for more money, I believe. He cited part of it was his divorce.

Cubs just have a way with people.

14 hours ago, mqr said:

Someone who's earned about $86 million in their career already? Baseball isn't the most important thing in all of their lives. Especially at 38 years old with a family. They're regular people too. Not too different than the guys who just retire leaving money on the table (was it Gil Meche who retired before the season started even though he wasn't going to be playing anyway due to being injured?).

And it seems like there is optimism he will return this season.