The $$$$ will be spent!

OneDog847

9 minutes ago, soxfan3530 said:

I agree that we are not winning a bidding war for Cole. So if we are looking at guys like a declining Bumgardner, why just sign Keuchel now (Probably for less money)?

Cole is gonna get paid if he makes it through this year unscathed. Whispers that the Cubs will be going after him heavily with Hamels coming off the books. Yankees will probably be serious bidders as well. 

Sox didn't budget for Keuchel this year. JR isn't going to give the guy 10 million plus to pitch during a tank year. 

2 hours ago, bmags said:

derek dietrich

45 minutes ago, raBBit said:

1) Catcher - Grandal - Overpay this man - 3/63

2) Versatile lefty bat - Derek Dietrich (buy high) or Scooter Gennett (buy low). - 2 yr 20 mil - ish

3) Established lefty starter - Bumgarner/Hill/Miley/Alex Wood

4) Resign Abreu 1 year, 14 mil

5) Relievers

6) Right Field - Trade Jace Fry, Blake Rutherford and Luis Mieses for Brandon Nimmo.

------------------------------------------

C - Grandal/McCann/Collins

1B - Abreu/Collins

2B - Gennett (Madrigal Eventually)

3B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

LF - Jimenez

CF - Leury/Robert

RF - Nimmo

DH - Collins/Abreu/Gennett/Moncada/Jimenez

SP - 1) Giolito 2) LHP FA 3) Cease 4) Kopech 5) Temp/Dunning/Rodon (eventually)

1) CF Robert

2) 3B Moncada

3) 1B Abreu

4) C Grandal

5) LF Jimenez

6) RF Nimmo

7) SS Anderson

😎 DH Collins

9) 2B Gennett

Bench: McCann, Leury, Yolmer

Derek Dietrich is interesting. My concern is that he is in the midst of a career year. Will the Sox get the 3 War player from this year or the 0.4 WAR guy from 2018? Also, he seems like the kind of guy who would come to the AL and forget how to hit. 

12 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

I would have big time interest in Zach Wheeler really put together last year in the 2nd half.

Honestly, I'm interested in both Bumgarner and Wheeler, should they decide to non-tender Rodon. (I don't think they will but you never know) 

the rotation next year would then be: 

Giolito

Bumgarner

Wheeler/Kopech

Kopech/Wheeler

Cease

You could go to war with that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Derek Dietrich is interesting. My concern is that he is in the midst of a career year. Will the Sox get the 3 War player from this year or the 0.4 WAR guy from 2018? Also, he seems like the kind of guy who would come to the AL and forget how to hit. 

He's going to be 30 with one good year. If he's bad you move on. If he's good you get production.

Dietrich isn't just a one year wonder. I mean sure, this is the one year that he's playing at an MVP level. But he has always been a solid hitter. Even if he isn't the absolute monster he is right now, he at least has a track record of being a versatile player with decent offense 

41 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

I would have big time interest in Zach Wheeler really put together last year in the 2nd half.

29 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Honestly, I'm interested in both Bumgarner and Wheeler, should they decide to non-tender Rodon. (I don't think they will but you never know) 

the rotation next year would then be: 

Giolito

Bumgarner

Wheeler/Kopech

Kopech/Wheeler

Cease

You could go to war with that. 

Zach Wheeler seems like a Yu Darvish situation waiting to happen. 

6 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Zach Wheeler seems like a Yu Darvish situation waiting to happen. 

Quality starting pitching is always going to be really expensive in free agency. Sox need to take a hard look at themselves and determine if they are really willing to finally outbid other clubs for the premium talent? Until proven otherwise we have every reason to doubt. 

Cole/Wheeler/Bumgarner/Rendon all would be pricey additions

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd probably put a decent wager on the White Sox signing 0 of those guys.

KW will get his man in Puig and look for a "Dye" like return to the fold.

Give me Cole. And give me a lefty (Wood, Ryu, Hill - shit, maybe Bumgarner, but I don't see Cole and Bumgarner happening).  

Give me Grandal.

Gennett is interesting on a 1 year deal, but he likely gets more.  Dedtrich would be interesting too and his versatility is nice so we can use move him around when Madrigal arrives.  But I don't think Dedtrich is a FA until 2021.   

Resign Abreu.

I've banged the Castellanos and Ozuna drum, but with the Sox drafting Vaughn, it pigeonholes those guys into RF long term, as I believe Abreu will be resigned, and we also have Collins.  No room for them to DH or shift to 1B, really. OF defense just too poor with Eloy and Castellanos/Ozuna, so just not sure there is really a fit.  

Line-up come June:

Robert CF, Moncada 3B, Eloy LF, Abreu 1b, Grandal C, Gennett/Madrigal 2B, Anderson SS, Collins DH, Leury RF

BN: McCann, Yolmer, Tilson/Cordell 

Rotation: Cole, Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Wood/Ryu

Edited by ChiSox59

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nah, hes arb eligible next season.  Came in 2019 with a tad over 4 years service time.  He won't be a FA until 2021.  Too bad, I do like the fit.  

That is very annoying. I would not trade for him. Money? Woulda risked it.

1 hour ago, kwill said:

Anthony Rendon- The best baseball player of the last two free agent classes. Spend the damn money. 

You could, in theory go with Rendon and move Moncada to RF. I'm not a fan of that though, as I don't want to jerk Moncada around in the field. I'd like them to acquire a LH bat to play RF. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You could, in theory go with Rendon and move Moncada to RF. I'm not a fan of that though. I'd like them to acquire a LH bat to play RF. 

I'd move Rendon to 2B, or Moncada back to 2B before I moved Moncada to RF.  

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd move Rendon to 2B, or Moncada back to 2B before I moved Moncada to RF.  

I think we've pretty much established that Moncada isn't that good at 2B. His bat can carry him there, but he's not that great in the field. Either are an option. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I wonder what Caleb Smith of the Marlins or John Means of the Orioles would cost in a trade. Both are young, left handed starting pitchers with a lot of team control. Might be easier to get a starting pitcher through a trade than through free agency.

Means is on my fantasy team (picked him up like 3-4 weeks ago) and I keep waiting for him to implode and he has yet to.

Edited by soxfan2014