The $$$$ will be spent!

OneDog847

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

For that one season, they were great. 

Frank-Maggs-Konerko were there from 99-03. 

Yeah but I can say the same thing about that group and the year 2000. 2001 was when Frank tore his bicep. 2002 both Konerko and Thomas's numbers are down, 2003 was Konerko's terrible year, 2004 was the year Frank and Magglio both got hurt. 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Robert-Jimenez-Vaughn will be a pretty good 3-4-5. Surround them with Moncada and Collins and it'll be close enough to a LHH middle guy

If they all progress properly, if they stay healthy, if they all show they can play at the Major League level, you could be right.

We'll see.

13 hours ago, Lillian said:

Perhaps not the most important thing, but don't you agree that it is a significant factor? If so, why fill the one remaining spot, right field, with yet another RH hitter? Why not seek better balance, as most teams do?

You sign the best available hitter, you don't rule out right handed hitters.  If I'm choosing between nimmo and Rendon  I'm taking rendon all day every day

Just to clarify my position on this discussion. Of course, a great RH hitter is absolutely preferable to a poor LH hitter, regardless of how unbalanced the lineup may be. That is obvious. Nevertheless, an ideal offense includes some balance between both right and left handed hitters. If one accepts the conventional baseball wisdom, which asserts that left handed hitters perform better versus right handed pitchers, and vice versa, and you consider that the overwhelming number of pitchers are right handed, why would you not want to have a few good left handed hitters in your lineup? It's the reason that a switch hitter like Moncada continues to bat right handed versus left handed pitchers, even though he is a better hitter, from the left side. In fact, it's the entire reason that anyone becomes a switch hitter, in the first place. This is so elementary that it shouldn't require a debate.

These decisions are the responsibility of the front office and judging by Hahn's previous comments, it is apparent that he recognises the need for a middle of the order, left handed bat. I suspect that this is the reason, in addition to the $9 million, that they continue to give Alonso so much playing time, despite his disappointing production. It will be interesting to see what they do to achieve better balance in the lineup. I'm hopeful that the next left handed bat they try will be a good one.

Edited by Lillian

You know, Renteria should be proving to you that putting a lefty in the middle of the order just simply because he is a lefty is not always the smart idea.   All year long he has been awful and multiple players should have been hitting higher than him, and yet he keeps getting shoehorned in there despite his strikeouts and low average and inability to get on base.   You play your best players in the best positions for them to succeed

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

You know, Renteria should be proving to you that putting a lefty in the middle of the order just simply because he is a lefty is not always the smart idea.   All year long he has been awful and multiple players should have been hitting higher than him, and yet he keeps getting shoehorned in there despite his strikeouts and low average and inability to get on base.   You play your best players in the best positions for them to succeed

I really don't know what else I can say, to further clarify my position. Perhaps this will help; I agree with you that "putting a lefty in the middle of the order just simply because he is a lefty is not always the smart idea". I have never said that it was a good idea. In fact, I'll go a step further and state that it's never a good idea. The objective is to seek some desirable balance in the line up, not to insert bad left handed hitters, just to have some left handed hitters. What is needed are a couple of good left handed hitters, especially in the middle of the order. I hope that clarifies it.

Edited by Lillian

Kelvin Herrera's 8.5 million will be the biggest contract on the Sox next year if they don't extend Abreu and flip Colome. The payroll will be under 30 million dollars without those guys and not picking up Jones and Castillo options. 

The Sox can easily afford to add Rendon and Cole and will still have a total payroll well under 100 million. This offseason should be much more exciting than last year. 

21 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I really don't know what else I can say, to further clarify my position. Perhaps this will help; I agree with you that "putting a lefty in the middle of the order just simply because he is a lefty is not always the smart idea". I have never said that it was a good idea. In fact, I'll go a step further and state that it's never a good idea. The objective is to seek some desirable balance in the line up, not to insert bad left handed hitters, just to have some left handed hitters. What is needed are a couple of good left handed hitters, especially in the middle of the order. I hope that clarifies it.

Your position has been clarified for years Lillian, you say the same thing every year like nobody has ever read it.  You desire a left handed, middle of the order bat.  Guess what?  We all do.  But they aren't a dime a dozen, and there is no need to pigeonhole one into the middle of the order spot a la Alonso just because they are left handed.   Ignoring better players simply because they are right handed is just nonsensical.

if a power hitting lefty that had on base skills came available of course i would want them, but they usually aren't available because they aren't exactly common things.

Handed Balance doesn't matter if your hitters are all competent 

37 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Kelvin Herrera's 8.5 million will be the biggest contract on the Sox next year if they don't extend Abreu and flip Colome. The payroll will be under 30 million dollars without those guys and not picking up Jones and Castillo options. 

The Sox can easily afford to add Rendon and Cole and will still have a total payroll well under 100 million. This offseason should be much more exciting than last year. 

Yeah exciting is never the issue. Converting is. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

For that one season, they were great. 

Frank-Maggs-Konerko were there from 99-03. 

Don't forget 1983-Fisk,Baines,Kittle, Luzinski. That was some middle of the order, those guys could thump.

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2019 at 9:34 AM, OneDog847 said:

I know we’ve had our disagreements in the past, but I fully agree with you here. They will have to spend significantly just to avoid the “cheap” label.  And with the young core taking some major strides this season, they’ve simply run out of excuses.  There will be some serious spending next offseason.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Pal said:

Been seeing alot of Rendon talk, and I'm a fan too, but where would he play on the team?

While I think Rendon is probably a pipe dream, if you get him you simply move Moncada back to 2B and make Madrigal (once he gets here) the 10th man and rotate him all over the field.  That would be an excellent problem to have.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

While I think Rendon is probably a pipe dream, if you get him you simply move Moncada back to 2B and make Madrigal (once he gets here) the 10th man and rotate him all over the field.  That would be an excellent problem to have.

I'm VERY hesitant to move Moncada back to second, as he's hitting his stride at 3rd.  Anything is possible, but I just don't want to do it to him again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

I'm VERY hesitant to move Moncada back to second, as he's hitting his stride at 3rd.  Anything is possible, but I just don't want to do it to him again.

Agreed. Switching a young guy around like that can screw with him mentally. 

12 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

If it means adding Rendon I’ll take that chance.  That being said, he’s probably a total pipe dream.

Honestly, give me Ozuna, Wheeler, one strong bullpen arm (Betances if he comes back and looks strong), and a stopgap at 2B.  I’d love Gennett on a short-term deal (two years or less), just not sure if that’s realistic or not.  Add those guys on top of Robert, Cease, Kopech, Collins, etc. and that’s a team with legit aspirations for a playoff spot.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know we’ve had our disagreements in the past, but I fully agree with you here. They will have to spend significantly just to avoid the “cheap” label.  And with the young core taking some major strides this season, they’ve simply run out of excuses.  There will be some serious spending next offseason.

No offense but I believe it when I see it. These are the White Sox remember where being "fiscally responsible" is more important than winning.

• Thanks 1