The $$$$ will be spent!

OneDog847

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I would have traded him as well. I was hoping they would have done so. I thought the Braves were a good match, I would have done it for Toussaint and Gohara and been done with it. 

Yep. And I’m sure a team like Atlanta or the Brewers would have done it. People seem to forget that Rodon was pitching really well last year in late July. I mean, just look at some of those tweets “only was we trade him is for Austin Riley and Kyle Wright!” Obviously that was ridiculous but he surely would have fetched at least 1 top 100 MLB prospect.

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

Coming off shoulder surgery, I'd be shocked if he had any value. See how that works? Neither of us really know. 

Then why would Gammons have tweeted “he had a lot of inquires” if he had no value? Teams don’t inquire about guys that are insignificant.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yep. And I’m sure a team like Atlanta or the Brewers would have done it. People seem to forget that Rodon was pitching really well last year in late July. I mean, just look at some of those tweets “only was we trade him is for Austin Riley and Kyle Wright!” Obviously that was ridiculous but he surely would have fetched at least 1 top 100 MLB prospect.

I would think coming off the shoulder surgery, he value wasn't that high, even if he was pitching well at the time. You would have to figure with the layoff, he would hit a wall eventually, and he did. 

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Then why would Gammons have tweeted “he had a lot of inquires” if he had no value? Teams don’t inquire about guys that are insignificant.

Just like we do on here when someone struggles or gets hurt or gets sent down...we look for bargains. Someone was hoping to get a guy who was a #3 overall pick for peanuts. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Just like we do on here when someone struggles or gets hurt or gets sent down...we look for bargains. Someone was hoping to get a guy who was a #3 overall pick for peanuts. 

Even peanuts are worth more than Rodon now. If a clearly declining Chris Archer could net what he did, surely the Sox could have gotten something of value for Rodon last July.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Even peanuts are worth more than Rodon now. If a clearly declining Chris Archer could net what he did, surely the Sox could have gotten something of value for Rodon last July.

Peanuts wouldn't have been worth it. Archer was right handed for Jose Quintana. Signed cheaply and an advanced statistician's wet dream. You wouldn't have gotten anything close to that for Rodon.

Edited by Dick Allen

Rodon has no future with the White Sox. The Sox should just cut their losses and move on. He is going to be on the shelf all of 2020 most likely and will have to be treated with kid gloves in 2021. Just release him and use the $ to get a workhorse like Cole, Bumgardner, or Hamels. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Peanuts wouldn't have been worth it. Archer was right handed for Jose Quintana. Signed cheaply and an advanced statistician's wet dream. You wouldn't have gotten anything close to that for Rodon.

1 top 100 mlb prospect (even on the back end) would have been worth it. Of course it’s speculation, but I believe they could have gotten that at a minimum last July. And regarding Archer, he definitely had more value than Rodon but it was apparent he was fading and he was also soon to be 30 years old. He peaked in 2015 and faded thereafter. Q was very good every season until the first half of 2017 when he was traded so it was considered much more of an anomaly in many people’s eyes.

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

*shrug*

Enjoy Carlos Gonzalez then, I guess. 

Why?  I am the most pessimistic of all about the Sox signing a top tier free agent but you don’t think even one of Ozuna, Castellanos, or Puig is a realistic signing for the Sox?

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He didn't have major shoulder surgery. He had severe bursitis. they had to go in there and cut the bursa sacs in his shoulder to relieve the pain and let the bursa sacs heal. He had no structural issues when they were in there. As far as shoulder surgery goes, it was as benign as it gets. They probably only went in there because it wasn't getting better with antibiotics

Anti-inflammatories. He didn't have an infection.

It is a different surgery when they don't find or need to repair a structural issue.

29 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Why?  I am the most pessimistic of all about the Sox signing a top tier free agent but you don’t think even one of Ozuna, Castellanos, or Puig is a realistic signing for the Sox?

You shit on the Japanese player but want Yasiel freaking Puig? GTFO

55 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

His ERA was good but his peripherals didn't support it. His BABIP at the trade deadline last year was .212. 

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

You shit on the Japanese player but want Yasiel freaking Puig? GTFO

28 year old Puig has had more good seasons in the majors than this 32 year old Japanese OF.  I can reference real MLB stats for Puig.  What can you show me in support of the 32 year old Japanese OF?

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wouldn't mind signing puig if it presented itself well in a deal easy to ditch.

Maybe he has a big 2nd half, but honestly? With our current payroll and a clear OF need, no reason why we shouldn't look to do better than Puig this offseason. He's a good fit for a team like Detroit where he can get playing time and suddenly turn into his old self. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Maybe he has a big 2nd half, but honestly? With our current payroll and a clear OF need, no reason why we shouldn't look to do better than Puig this offseason. He's a good fit for a team like Detroit where he can get playing time and suddenly turn into his old self. 

As always, it will depend. I don't dislike Puig though, I feel pretty good that by the end of the year people will see his stat line more favorably.

If we only get puig as our RF solution, that's effed up, but I'd say the same for akiyama.

46 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Anti-inflammatories. He didn't have an infection.

It is a different surgery when they don't find or need to repair a structural issue.

Bursitis is an infection of the bursa sacs, no? I had it myself in one of my elbows in HS, and that is what they gave me. Mine went away. 

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Puig of the 88 wRC+ batting in an NL bandbox? Castellanos the 115 wRC+ DH?

Idk, Ozuna would be a decent option. Same tier of productivity, probably. Certainly less risk. But he’s gonna cost three times as much, too. 

Edited by Eminor3rd