The $$$$ will be spent!

OneDog847

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

That really wasn't my point ha.

It was more for the people doubting they would offer Cole a contract due to what he wants. Yet, they just offered more overall and a significantly higher (I'd say $8 mill per year is significant) AAV to someone just last off-season.

Dissenters are going to dissent.  Until the Sox change prove them wrong, they aren't going to change their tune.  Even then, they'll still find something to complain about.  Probably that they paid too much! 

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

That really wasn't my point ha.

It was more for the people doubting they would offer Cole a contract due to what he wants. Yet, they just offered more overall and a significantly higher (I'd say $8 mill per year is significant) AAV to someone just last off-season.

Sox don’t offer four year deals to outside free agent pitchers. 

10 minutes ago, ewokpelts said:

Sox don’t offer four year deals to outside free agent pitchers. 

Masahiro Tanaka was supposedly going to get at least $120-130 million from the Sox as a young/er pitcher with TOR upside.

I guess with Cole, they will argue his velocity makes a long-term contract prohibitively dangerous after so much high leverage usage, then sign Wheeler for half that amount.

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Dissenters are going to dissent.  Until the Sox change prove them wrong, they aren't going to change their tune.  Even then, they'll still find something to complain about.  Probably that they paid too much! 

I couldn't care less about how much money is being spent to sign a guy, it's not like JR won't know where his next meal is coming from but the earlier part of your statement is correct. Until the Sox actually get it done instead of just talking, which as we all know is cheap, fans are going to be skeptical.

And they damn well should be.

8 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I couldn't care less about how much money is being spent to sign a guy, it's not like JR won't know where his next meal is coming from but the earlier part of your statement is correct. Until the Sox actually get it done instead of just talking, which as we all know is cheap, fans are going to be skeptical.

And they damn well should be.

Yeah the skepticism is definitely fair. But there is a reason for hope based on what I said earlier.

• Haha 1

And force all left-handed pull hitters to practice push bunts down the 3B line at least twenty minutes per day.

Make parking free and all souvenirs and concessions sold at only 25% markup.

Matt Davidson three homer game against KC on Opening Day Bobblehead Giveaway. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Glad to see that, for sure.  Greg should apply for it for funsies.  

Who's the poster who regularly writes letters to Jerry and wanted to be interviewed for the GM job? This might be the closest opportunity he will get lol

Edited by soxfan2014

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Odds are no

Years ago I could have had a job with the White Sox. I couldn't take it. I had other concerns at the time. Looking back at that, I should have taken the job.I figure I could have moved up the ladder over time and would have probably become the White Sox GM.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

Years ago I could have had a job with the White Sox. I couldn't take it. I had other concerns at the time. Looking back at that, I should have taken the job.I figure I could have moved up the ladder over time and would have probably become the White Sox GM.

Probably.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

Of course

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2019 at 10:22 AM, ewokpelts said:

But manny wanted a record breaker as well as the opt out. Things the Sox don’t do. 

There is no player I would give an opt out to.  The team is taking the risk when giving out mega deals.  The team is entitled to certainty of control of player in exchange for certainty of income.

36 minutes ago, poppysox said:

There is no player I would give an opt out to.  The team is taking the risk when giving out mega deals.  The team is entitled to certainty of control of player in exchange for certainty of income.

Then you would sign no players.   Opt outs are part of business now 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Then you would sign no players.   Opt outs are part of business now 

By no means are opt outs given in all cases.  Yes...some players ask for and get them because of circumstances unique to the situation.  In my view...if a player doesn't want to commit to the team...we don't need him.

There are circumstances in which providing an opt out to a player might be regarded by management, as being in the team's best interest. It can serve to keep a player more motivated, than guaranteeing his earnings, for the rest of his career. Human nature will drive a player harder to play for yet one more contract. In addition, if a team really only desires to sign a player for 4 or 5 years, but the player wants a longer contract, offering him an opt out might actually be more compatible with the team's preference. So in some cases, while the opt out may appear to be a concession to the player, it may actually be preferred by management.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I’m thinking more like Senior Executive Vice President above Kenny.

10 hours ago, Lillian said:

There are circumstances in which providing an opt out to a player might be regarded by management, as being in the team's best interest. It can serve to keep a player more motivated, than guaranteeing his earnings, for the rest of his career. Human nature will drive a player harder to play for yet one more contract. In addition, if a team really only desires to sign a player for 4 or 5 years, but the player wants a longer contract, offering him an opt out might actually be more compatible with the team's preference. So in some cases, while the opt out may appear to be a concession to the player, it may actually be preferred by management.

Not the Sox.