The $$$$ will be spent!

OneDog847

35 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

85 million?  That would put us in the bottom 5 in all of baseball, lol.

If we don't have around 130 million in payroll next year there is something really wrong.

Edit:  Okay yeah, 85 million would be like 8 million less than we are spending this year.  That is in no way realistic.

I think the Sox will save some $ for the 2021 FA class. 85 Million next year in payroll. They will push it slightly over 100 million for 2021. 

• Haha 1

Just now, OneDog847 said:

I think the Sox will save some $ for the 2021 FA class. 85 Million next year in payroll. They will push it slightly over 100 million for 2021. 

There are better FA targets in 2021, especially pitching.  I don't see how the Sox spend less money next year than they did this year though.  If we miss on Cole or Strasburg (if he opts out) I wouldn't mind some being saved for 2021.  We should be competing for a WC spot next year with most of our core up.

43 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I don't think any Sox plan considers "saving" money. It's in the Sox rulebook. It's part of the modus opperandi. They like to keep the owners' pockets stuffed full of cash. I doubt they are "saving" to spend it when it matters most to winning. Arguably at 5 out of the wild card we could have done some "winning" this season had dollars been spent on starting pitching and another bat.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

There are better FA targets in 2021, especially pitching.  I don't see how the Sox spend less money next year than they did this year though.  If we miss on Cole or Strasburg (if he opts out) I wouldn't mind some being saved for 2021.  We should be competing for a WC spot next year with most of our core up.

I could see the Sox adding someone like Yasiel Puig at 3/45. A pitcher like Cole Hamels at 2/40 and someone like Michael Wacha at 3/30. 

That would be 45 million in AAV and would leave some wiggle room to offer a guy like McCann an extension or sign a mid-range reliever to a one year deal worth 7-8 million. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I don't think any Sox plan considers "saving" money. It's in the Sox rulebook. It's part of the modus opperandi. They like to keep the owners' pockets stuffed full of cash. I doubt they are "saving" to spend it when it matters most to winning. Arguably at 5 out of the wild card we could have done some "winning" this season had dollars been spent on starting pitching and another bat.

I would like to see Robert and Madrigal join Cease asap.  Use the remainder of 2019 to acclimate these three key pieces to the major league game.  Giolito, Jiminez, Mancada along with Anderson all needed time to adjust to the faster game.  Don't want to waste the first half of 2020 for this process.  Use free agency and trades to acquire two decent starting pitchers and a right fielder in the off season.  We can compete for the division and beyond as Kopeck, Dunning and Rodon get their footing following their respective surgeries.  These players have all shown advanced skills and don't need to be treated with such kid gloves.  Boston has been working with Jimenez on his outfield play and it shows.  He can work with Robert while McEwing works with Madrigal.  Both players would be immediate upgrades to who they replace and speed the acclimation to the big leagues.  Robin Yount skipped the minor league stint and joined the big leagues at 18 years old.  Worked out pretty well I would say.

59 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

People were saying that about the 2020 class as well... then everybody signed an extension. It is a really bad idea to save for next year.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

People were saying that about the 2020 class as well... then everybody signed an extension. It is a really bad idea to save for next year.

If we miss on Cole, Strasburg, Wheeler, Wood? or any other viable SP option, I'd rather have them not spend than be locked up on a shitty pitcher.  It would be a shame if we couldn't get a Trevor Bauer because we are paying Michael Wacha.

33 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

If we miss on Cole, Strasburg, Wheeler, Wood? or any other viable SP option, I'd rather have them not spend than be locked up on a shitty pitcher.  It would be a shame if we couldn't get a Trevor Bauer because we are paying Michael Wacha.

I am not saying spend large money on crap... We should be paying whatever it takes to land the big fish and not say its ok we didn't get him cuz next year we can get player x.

34 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Bauers on record saying he will only sign one year deals. I wouldn't put anything past that dude. 

2 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

So it looks like the Sox payroll next year will be around 28 million. I figure they will bring back Jose in a bridge year to Vaughn at like 12 million and won't trade Colome. That brings the payroll to around $40 million next year. 

How much do you think the Sox payroll will be on Opening Day 2020? I think they add like 45 million AAV next year and will rock a payroll around 85 million total. 

Lol...that’s basically the same as this year’s payroll, maybe even less.  Plus it would be a bottom five payroll for a team with a lengthy history of at least being middle of pack when going for it.

No rational person would actually believe this, but obviously you’re just letting your pessimism get the best of you as usual.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

I am not saying spend large money on crap... We should be paying whatever it takes to land the big fish and not say its ok we didn't get him cuz next year we can get player x.

I agree, Cole should be #1 priority. But if we somehow miss on the top guys, I'd rather them not spend.

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I agree, Cole should be #1 priority. But if we somehow miss on the top guys, I'd rather them not spend.

I see no excuse to miss out on the top guys is what I am thinking. Last off season we had our eye on 2 players and it didn't work out but we weren't in the contention window, but now we are entering our contention window and have no reason to be out bid

2 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

I see no excuse to miss out on the top guys is what I am thinking. Last off season we had our eye on 2 players and it didn't work out but we weren't in the contention window, but now we are entering our contention window and have no reason to be out bid

If they miss on any of these top pitchers they all need to be fired.  We have the means and need and they aren't going to be asking for 10/300 contracts.  We have like 27 million in payroll next year.

8 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

They might not even have their eye on cole. 

They’ve always tried(and always failed) to add big position player contracts. Thats not the case with pitchers. They seem completely averse to the idea. 

Seems to be the philosophy to not even entertain the idea with pitchers. 

Edited by mqr

5 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

I've read where Cole is expecting  a 6 year contract  worth at least $140 million  dollars. Does anybody really think JR is going to pay that much?

17 hours ago, mqr said:

They might not even have their eye on cole. 

They’ve always tried(and always failed) to add big position player contracts. Thats not the case with pitchers. They seem completely averse to the idea. 

Seems to be the philosophy to not even entertain the idea with pitchers. 

The Sox are going to have to spend some $$$ on pitching in the offseason if they plan to compete in 2020. 

The Sox can easily afford to outbid everyone for Cole or Bumgardner if they choose to.Like you mention, the problem is that JR seems very risk-averse with pitching contracts and I don't see that changing, especially with all the arm injuries the Sox have encountered recently. 

I suspect that instead of going for a big fish this offseason they will spread the $ around on 2-3 guys like Alex Wood and Michael Wacha. 

Edited by OneDog847

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

The Sox are going to have to spend some $$$ on pitching in the offseason if they plan to compete in 2020. 

The Sox can easily afford to outbid everyone for Cole or Bumgardner if they choose to.Like you mention, the problem is that JR seems very risk-averse with pitching contracts and I don't see that changing, especially with all the arm injuries the Sox have encountered recently. 

I suspect that instead of going for a big fish this offseason they will spread the $ around on 2-3 guys like Alex Wood and Michael Wacha. 

They're going to spend money on pitching. Just probably won't put all their eggs in one basket. I would not be surprised to not hear their name at all in connection to Cole

18 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

You have to try for the division next year. You cannot throw away a possible 90 win season with some upgrades. If we don't sign a big fish we need to be slapped first and foremost. Then we need to sign a few guys to 1 or two year prove it deals to stabilize our rotation. If we strike out I wouldn't mind Hammels on a short deal. 

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I truly believe that they will sign Puig and a couple of starters next off season. I know Cole should be the target but it is probably the tier below.

I'd be okay with Strasburg and another solid guy like Bum or Hammels on a short deal. That's good enough to be a playoff rotation.