The $$$$ will be spent!

OneDog847

5 hours ago, Lillian said:

The purpose of citing his AAA stats is not to attempt to convince anyone that he is a productive hitter. He has already established his bonafides, especially most recently, with his 2017 Major League production, with the Twins, when he hit 38 homers. The point is that he had a hip injury, which resulted in surgery. When the Yankees signed him to a Minor League contract in April, there were concerns about his health. His performance at AAA serves to alleviate those health concerns.

The Yankees thought that he might be a useful piece, which given all of their depth, and considering that he hadn't even demonstrated that he was fully recovered, suggests that not everyone thinks that he is a useless "bum". Again, if the Sox do not care about trying to win games, then I agree that there is no point in bringing in a guy, who will likely not be part of the future. However, if they do want to put the best team on the field, for the remainder of this season, that is a different story. Providing some protection for Eloy would be advantageous. I suspect that Morrison would be willing to take almost any offer to get playing time, in order to try to establish his value, as he vies for a contract in free agency, next year.

Regarding Collins: If the Sox can dump Castillo, it would be fine to have Collins serve as the back up catcher, under McCann's tutelage, for the remainder of this year. In that scenario, Zack could DH on days when McCann catches. The only problem with that plan is the inherent risk of having both catchers starting in the same game.

They don't need to dump Castillo per se, they need to keep him around so they have a backup catcher on days that Collins DHs. It actually makes sense what is happening. They've seen enough of Zavala to realize he's an AAAA guy, Castillo is hurt so they bring up Collins for backup. He's going to play, but sparingly, until Castillo returns. There is no reason to risk losing your DH in the event of injury to either McCann or Collins. One of them has to be on the bench. McCann just made the freaking ASG, so obviously Collins is going to sit. It isn't rocket surgery.(joke intended) They lost their DH 3 games in a row vs. Texas and Boston and they're not going to let it happen again. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They don't need to dump Castillo per se, they need to keep him around so they have a backup catcher on days that Collins DHs. It actually makes sense what is happening. They've seen enough of Zavala to realize he's an AAAA guy, Castillo is hurt so they bring up Collins for backup. He's going to play, but sparingly, until Castillo returns. There is no reason to risk losing your DH in the event of injury to either McCann or Collins. One of them has to be on the bench. McCann just made the freaking ASG, so obviously Collins is going to sit. It isn't rocket surgery.(joke intended) They lost their DH 3 games in a row vs. Texas and Boston and they're not going to let it happen again. 

Ironically, by putting Rondon in lineups at the DH spot, they are actually increasing their chances of losing the DH. Right now the White Sox have 1 backup on the roster who can cover 2b, SS, or 3b reasonably, and that's Rondon. Leury is starting at SS while Anderson is out, no one else on their bench can cover any of those positions. Collins backs up 1 position, Rondon backs up 3, but Rondon was in the last 2 lineups as the DH.

If Moncada, Garcia, or Yolmer get hurt or ejected, you have a choice - Jay or Abreu or Palka over at 3b or you lose the DH spot by moving Rondon to the field.

It sure seems like the White Sox don't care at all about losing the DH spot if Jose Rondon is being put at the DH spot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Ironically, by putting Rondon in lineups at the DH spot, they are actually increasing their chances of losing the DH. Right now the White Sox have 1 backup on the roster who can cover 2b, SS, or 3b reasonably, and that's Rondon. Leury is starting at SS while Anderson is out, no one else on their bench can cover any of those positions. Collins backs up 1 position, Rondon backs up 3, but Rondon was in the last 2 lineups as the DH.

If Moncada, Garcia, or Yolmer get hurt or ejected, you have a choice - Jay or Abreu or Palka over at 3b or you lose the DH spot by moving Rondon to the field.

It sure seems like the White Sox don't care at all about losing the DH spot if Jose Rondon is being put at the DH spot. 

I think Sox are comfortable that Cordell could cover an IF position if need be. 

The point you’re making totally remains tho. I think it’s as simple as Renteria being caught in his ways and simply that we’ve seen a ton of LHP. Once Castillo comes back, I expect Collins to stay, and get more at bats. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Sox are comfortable that Cordell could cover an IF position if need be. 

The point you’re making totally remains tho. I think it’s as simple as Renteria being caught in his ways and simply that we’ve seen a ton of LHP. Once Castillo comes back, I expect Collins to stay, and get more at bats. 

Yeah Cordell has played infield in the minors so if they were in a bind and needed someone to cover an IF spot, he can do it for a few innings. Heck, I remember a game Dye had to come in (or did he move psotions?) to play IF.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah Cordell has played infield in the minors so if they were in a bind and needed someone to cover an IF spot, he can do it for a few innings. Heck, I remember a game Dye had to come in (or did he move psotions?) to play IF.

He has played more IF than OF before coming to the Sox, IIRC. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

It was a game in Oakland after the goofy Wendlestad umpire threw out a few of the Sox including Crede as I recall.

• Like 1

It is crystal clear that pitching needs to be the Sox #1 priority in the offseason. Going into 2020 with Giolito as the anchor of your rotation is a recipe for disaster. 

The Cubbies got Lester, the Astros got Verlander, and the Bo Sox traded the farm for Sale. The Sox need to acquire an ace this offseason by whatever means necessary. Pony up for Cole or make a trade for Grienke. Adding a guy like Dallas Kuechel or Alex Wood as a secondary piece makes a lot of sense as well. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Ozuna

Castellanos

Puig

Cole

Strasburg (opt out)

Bum

Wheeler

Alex Wood

Ryu

Fill in the RP with best available and sign a 2B like Schoop.

Sign 1 of those 3 outfielders.

Sign 2 of those 6 starting pitchers.

Sign some RP.

Pass on 2B.  Leury or Mendick can fill in at 2B until they call up Madrigal once the deadline is up after the first few weeks of the season.  I am assuming they trade or non-tender Yolmer.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Sign RP.

Pass on 2B.  Leury or Mendick can will in at 2B until they call up Madrigal once the deadline is up.

I'd just like to see Mendick tbh.  We have no idea what he is at the MLB level.  Leury wouldn't be a terrible option at 2B but that gets rid of roster versatility with him.  Yolmer has a fine glove he just can't hit.

5 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I'd just like to see Mendick tbh.  We have no idea what he is at the MLB level.  Leury wouldn't be a terrible option at 2B but that gets rid of roster versatility with him.  Yolmer has a fine glove he just can't hit.

I just think Schoop is going to get more than one year and will likely be overpaid this time around.  He’s only 27 and some team will bite on him for more than one year.  He definitely won’t be a value signing this time around.

Mendick will replace Yolmer as the utility middle infielder and save the Sox $6 million to spend elsewhere (RP).

Edited by Moan4Yoan

8 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I just think Schoop is going to get more than one year and will likely be overpaid this time around.  He’s only 27 and some team will bite on him for more than one year.  He definitely won’t be a value signing this time around.

Mendick will replace Yolmer as the utility middle infielder and save the Sox $6 million to spend elsewhere (RP).

I just am not ready to say Mendick is the guy without having a ML at bat. Either way whoever is at 2B next year is a stop gap for Madrigal.  If we can get decent 2B play out of Leury, Yolmer, Mendick for a few months it will be fine.  I'm not sure how versitle Schoop is either.  If he can plug into corner OF spots I'd still want him.

11 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Sign some RP.

Pass on 2B.  Leury or Mendick can fill in at 2B until they call up Madrigal once the deadline is up after the first few weeks of the season.  I am assuming they trade or non-tender Yolmer.

You are looking at like 200 million dollars in total contracts if the Sox follow that plan, even more so if Ozuna and Cole are signed. 

Do you really think that JR is going to authorize that kind of spending in one offseason? 

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I just am not ready to say Mendick is the guy without having a ML at bat. Either way whoever is at 2B next year is a stop gap for Madrigal.  If we can get decent 2B play out of Leury, Yolmer, Mendick for a few months it will be fine.  I'm not sure how versitle Schoop is either.  If he can plug into corner OF spots I'd still want him.

I think Madrigal is on the Robert plan.  I don’t think it will be months.  I think it will only be a few weeks into the season that both get called up.

4 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

You are looking at like 200 million dollars in total contracts if the Sox follow that plan, even more so if Ozuna and Cole are signed. 

Do you really think that JR is going to authorize that kind of spending in one offseason? 

I think the Sox will have a chance at signing the lower tier guys like Puig, Wheeler, and Wood.  I don’t see the Sox signing Ozuna, Cole, or Bumgarner.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

10 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

The Sox payroll would be nowhere near 200 million if they signed Cole, Stras, Ozuna, and RP.

10 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The Sox payroll would be nowhere near 200 million if they signed Cole, Stras, Ozuna, and RP.

That's not what I meant. I'm saying that the total contracts for all those guys would be north of 200 million dollars. I just don't see JR spending that much in one offseason. 

14 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

That's not what I meant. I'm saying that the total contracts for all those guys would be north of 200 million dollars. I just don't see JR spending that much in one offseason. 

I think JR might surprise you.

I'd try to sign Puig, Cole and resign McCann and Abreu.  Obviously, the latter being a bit more difficult.  I think Puig can definitely be had as we know the Sox have had interest in him in the past.  

And then I'd trade from the Farm depth for another pitcher like Caleb Smith, Syndergaard, Stroman, Greinke and move Lopez to the bullpen

Cole
Stroman
Giolito
Kopech (Rodon as well because they'll limit his innings)
Cease

CF Robert
2B Madrigal
3B Moncada
LF Jimenez
1B Abreu
C McCann
RF Puig
DH Collins/Vaughn
SS Anderson

Leury as a bench piece.  That's a playoff team.  Jerry just has to sack up and spend some damn money on pitching.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

I'd try to sign Puig, Cole and resign McCann and Abreu.  Obviously, the latter being a bit more difficult.  I think Puig can definitely be had as we know the Sox have had interest in him in the past.  

And then I'd trade from the Farm depth for another pitcher like Caleb Smith, Syndergaard, Stroman, Greinke and move Lopez to the bullpen

Cole
Stroman
Giolito
Kopech (Rodon as well because they'll limit his innings)
Cease

CF Robert
2B Madrigal
3B Moncada
LF Jimenez
1B Abreu
C McCann
RF Puig
DH Collins/Vaughn
SS Anderson

Leury as a bench piece.  That's a playoff team.  Jerry just has to sack up and spend some damn money on pitching.

Yes and no. To make a deal someone has to want to take that money.