The $$$$ will be spent!

OneDog847

The guys on the North Side of town just signed an elite closer like they were picking up the check for Grandma's 80th birthday at Bennignan's. 

2020 is year 4 of the rebuild and should be a pivotal one. The Sox need to supplement the young exciting core with some established difference making veterans. Rick Hahn said that the money would be spent!

Who should the Sox pursue this offseason via FA or trade? 

I would love to see them go after Gerrit Cole, JD Martinez, and Yasmani Grandal. Kick the tires on a trade for Zach Grienke as well. 

50 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I would steer clear of Avi. We've seen this show before. He will have a good year this year and then likely struggle again with staying healthy in the years ahead. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

After the way the organization pushed him out the door before, I don’t see him ever wanting to come back here.   He played through injury when he didn’t have to and got rewarded with a pink slip.   I’d love to see him back but feel that possibility is little more than a pipe dream.

Cole, Martinez, Castellanos, Grandal, Rendon.

Grandal may not be the target he once was due to McCann's performance.

Martinez or Castellanos would add a good bat to the lineup, but wouldn't do a lot for defense.

Rendon should be a target, but then a question of where he (and others) would play comes up.  Good problem to have, though.

Cole should be a primary target.  This team needs another quality SP.

9 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Martinez or Castellanos would add a good bat to the lineup, but wouldn't do a lot for defense.

Rendon should be a target, but then a question of where he (and others) would play comes up.  Good problem to have, though.

I'd probably put a decent wager on the White Sox signing 0 of those guys.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

What does the Cubs' spending have to do with ours?  They are at a completely different part of their window than we are.

it's kind of his thing, that and petrified fear of a player acquired being athletic as that may mean KW chose him.

OTOH, lists are fun.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd probably put a decent wager on the White Sox signing 0 of those guys.

I would love a Rendon signing. The Sox could move Moncada back to second. They could use Madrigal as a jack of all trades utility man or use him in a trade for a guy like Grienke. 

What is stopping the Sox from signing one of those guys? Is JR really gonna sit on the wallet again this offseason and keep rocking a sub 100 million dollar payroll? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

I would love a Rendon signing. The Sox could move Moncada back to second. They could use Madrigal as a jack of all trades utility man or use him in a trade for a guy like Grienke. 

What is stopping the Sox from signing one of those guys? Is JR really gonna sit on the wallet again this offseason and keep rocking a sub 100 million dollar payroll? 

I do think there's a nonzero chance they'll go after Bumgarner, they clearly do need a starting pitcher.

9 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

What does the Cubs' spending have to do with ours?  They are at a completely different part of their window than we are.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

it's kind of his thing, that and petrified fear of a player acquired being athletic as that may mean KW chose him.

OTOH, lists are fun.

The Cubs are putting their $ where their mouth is unlike the Sox so far. The Cubs also spent before their contention window was open unlike the Sox.

This offseason is very pivotal if the Sox plan on competing anytime soon. Will the $$$ be spent? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

The Cubs are putting their $ where their mouth is unlike the Sox so far. The Cubs also spent before their contention window was open unlike the Sox.

This offseason is very pivotal if the Sox plan on competing anytime soon. Will the $$$ be spent? 

The Cubs are in a completely different situation than we are.

Also, when the Cubs spent, they needed starters bad.  The White Sox are unlikely to follow that model as they actually have pitching in the minors.  And Heyward was a bad signing.  Spare us the Cubs comparison.

We might have to wait a little bit longer than the Cubs did, but that's the way things go sometimes.  Stop comparing the White Sox to the Cubs.

• Haha 1

I think Bumgarner could have a late career resurgence. Though, Farhan Zaidi is there so I'd expect better info to get to Bumgarner, and maybe he's just stubborn.

But I hate the sinker/cutter mix he has moved to, and maybe there is a lack of control to it, but he just pounds the middle of the zone with them. Everything is down, and it diminishes his curveball. He still has great spin, it just seems like he overreacted to the loss of velo on his fastball.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think Bumgarner could have a late career resurgence. Though, Farhan Zaidi is there so I'd expect better info to get to Bumgarner, and maybe he's just stubborn.

But I hate the sinker/cutter mix he has moved to, and maybe there is a lack of control to it, but he just pounds the middle of the zone with them. Everything is down, and it diminishes his curveball. He still has great spin, it just seems like he overreacted to the loss of velo on his fastball.

He still hovers around 91-94, his fastball is still above average for a lefty. He's been averaging 92+ for the last month. I think Bumgarner is a more realistic target than Cole and I'm 100% on board. We don't need him to be the ace, we need him for veteran presence and rotation stabilization. He only has to be a #3-4 here as I'm expecting Giolito and Kopech to be 1-2 (in either order) 

right now, I'd like them to find a short term answer to RF, while we let the OF depth play out. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Hahn won’t sign any quality real free agents. But what he will do is trade for veterans, primarily those with one-two years left until free agency who had fluke years.  That’s what he did the last time, he has no sense that it failed so miserably ( after all he was rewarded for that failure) so will likely do it again. In fact, he did a taste of that last offseason.   He’ll only trade second-tier prospects but they will suddenly blossom into first tier once they get on another team

Edited by GreenSox
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

The Cubs are in a completely different situation than we are.

Also, when the Cubs spent, they needed starters bad.  The White Sox are unlikely to follow that model as they actually have pitching in the minors.  And Heyward was a bad signing.  Spare us the Cubs comparison.

We might have to wait a little bit longer than the Cubs did, but that's the way things go sometimes.  Stop comparing the White Sox to the Cubs.

The Cubs are in a place where the Sox hope to be in a few years. 

The Cubs ponied up for Lester before their contention window opened up. The Sox had the opportunity to do the same with Corbin, Machado, or Harper but walked away once they saw the asking price. 

Where is all this pitching in the Sox minors? If we have so much of it, why are we seeing dudes like Nova, Banuelos, and Covey as mainstays in the rotation? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He still hovers around 91-94, his fastball is still above average for a lefty. He's been averaging 92+ for the last month. I think Bumgarner is a more realistic target than Cole and I'm 100% on board. We don't need him to be the ace, we need him for veteran presence and rotation stabilization. He only has to be a #3-4 here as I'm expecting Giolito and Kopech to be 1-2 (in either order) 

right now, I'd like them to find a short term answer to RF, while we let the OF depth play out. 

I'm with you on Bumgarner.  He seems like a more realistic target than Cole, who will be sought by all the big boys.

Bumgarner could be the Sox version of what Lester was to the Cubs -- lefty, veteran, leader, with history of winning and playing in big games, who will stabilize the rotation.  Bumgarner will be about the same age with roughly the same number of innings pitched as Lester was when he signed with the Cubs.

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Right, the velo is fine, but the problem is he ditched his 4 seamer and is just throwing a not very good two seamer (it doesn't drop enough to be effective). He is really not very good right now and needs to find a different way to get hitters out.

1) Catcher - Grandal - Overpay this man - 3/63

2) Versatile lefty bat - Derek Dietrich (buy high) or Scooter Gennett (buy low). - 2 yr 20 mil - ish

3) Established lefty starter - Bumgarner/Hill/Miley/Alex Wood

4) Resign Abreu 1 year, 14 mil

5) Relievers

6) Right Field - Trade Jace Fry, Blake Rutherford and Luis Mieses for Brandon Nimmo.

------------------------------------------

C - Grandal/McCann/Collins

1B - Abreu/Collins

2B - Gennett (Madrigal Eventually)

3B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

LF - Jimenez

CF - Leury/Robert

RF - Nimmo

DH - Collins/Abreu/Gennett/Moncada/Jimenez

SP - 1) Giolito 2) LHP FA 3) Cease 4) Kopech 5) Temp/Dunning/Rodon (eventually)

1) CF Robert

2) 3B Moncada

3) 1B Abreu

4) C Grandal

5) LF Jimenez

6) RF Nimmo

7) SS Anderson

😎 DH Collins

9) 2B Gennett

Bench: McCann, Leury, Yolmer

11 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I'm with you on Bumgarner.  He seems like a more realistic target than Cole, who will be sought by all the big boys.

Bumgarner could be the Sox version of what Lester was to the Cubs -- lefty, veteran, leader, with history of winning and playing in big games, who will stabilize the rotation.  Bumgarner will be about the same age with roughly the same number of innings pitched as Lester was when he signed with the Cubs.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Right, the velo is fine, but the problem is he ditched his 4 seamer and is just throwing a not very good two seamer (it doesn't drop enough to be effective). He is really not very good right now and needs to find a different way to get hitters out.

Gerrit Cole is the ideal FA target but I like the idea of Bumgardner. I would be a bit concerned about him being a guy who has never pitched in the AL before though. 

Is he going to demand Lester type money? I can't see JR ever paying 100 million plus for a pitcher that is over 30 years old. 

Just now, soxfan3530 said:

I agree that we are not winning a bidding war for Cole. So if we are looking at guys like a declining Bumgardner, why just sign Keuchel now (Probably for less money)?

Bumgarner isn't declining so much as taking an outdated approach to pitching. The stuff has lost a tick from his early years but it is still more than good enough.