The $$$$ will be spent!

OneDog847

On 6/27/2019 at 2:55 PM, WBWSF said:

Years ago I could have had a job with the White Sox. I couldn't take it. I had other concerns at the time. Looking back at that, I should have taken the job.I figure I could have moved up the ladder over time and would have probably become the White Sox GM.

Unless it was in the baseball operations staff, your chances to be gm were between fuck and no. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 6/27/2019 at 2:39 PM, WBWSF said:

I would give JR the most memorable interview he ever had in his life. I don't know if I would get the GM job after the interview but I guarantee you that JR would not ever forget my interview.

Jerry already has morons operating his baseball team. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2019 at 2:08 PM, caulfield12 said:

Masahiro Tanaka was supposedly going to get at least $120-130 million from the Sox as a young/er pitcher with TOR upside.

I guess with Cole, they will argue his velocity makes a long-term contract prohibitively dangerous after so much high leverage usage, then sign Wheeler for half that amount.

That was as a “rookie”. NPB isn’t the same as signing Keuchel. 

I'm thinking that the Sox need to spend all of that money on pitching depth. The old adage; "you can never have enough pitching," has taken on a whole new meaning. It's beginning to look like you need about 25 viable arms, to ensure that you end up with the 12, or 13 you need. You're lucky if half of the guys stay healthy. Just unbelievable. They better hang on to any reliever, who looks like he can contribute, going forward. Therefore, no Colome trade. The better also sign at least 2 decent starters.

Edited by Lillian

8 hours ago, Lillian said:

I'm thinking that the Sox need to spend all of that money on pitching depth. The old adage; "you can never have enough pitching," has taken on a whole new meaning. It's beginning to look like you need about 25 viable arms, to ensure that you end up with the 12, or 13 you need. You're lucky if half of the guys stay healthy. Just unbelievable. They better hang on to any reliever, who looks like he can contribute, going forward. Therefore, no Colome trade. The better also sign at least 2 decent starters.

The 25 viable arms is not an exaggeration.  Pitchers have gone down in droves this season.  Oh for the days when we had Wilbur Wood to thrown both ends of the double header.  What would he be worth in today's baseball.

After the complete onslaught of injuries announced yesterday, I’m not sure we can actually afford to trade Colome now.     Without him, I’m not sure you have a single reliable RH you can count on out of the pen.  Marshall needs to strike more people out before we should all feel comfortable with him and Herrera has simply been a disaster this year.  I think we should be fine from the left side (despite Fry’s struggles), but we’re going to need another strong RH option because all our high caliber relief prospects (Hamilton, Burdi, Burr) who could have maybe filled that need on the cheap are now big question marks or simply out for 2020.

Rotation wise we need to add two legit starters and probably bring back Rodon even if he won’t be ready until late in the season.  Right now, Bernardo Flores is the closest thing we have to an actual pitching prospect in AA & above and even he is hurt at the moment.  Maybe Dunning comes back strong out of the gate next year, but we simply can’t count on that.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

After the complete onslaught of injuries announced yesterday, I’m not sure we can actually afford to trade Colome now.     Without him, I’m not sure you have a single reliable RH you can count on out of the pen.  Marshall needs to strike more people out before we should all feel comfortable with him and Herrera has simply been a disaster this year.  I think we should be fine from the left side (despite Fry’s struggles), but we’re going to need another strong RH option because all our high caliber relief prospects (Hamilton, Burdi, Burr) who could have maybe filled that need on the cheap are now big question marks or simply out for 2020.

Rotation wise we need to add two legit starters and probably bring back Rodon even if he won’t be ready until late in the season.  Right now, Bernardo Flores is the closest thing we have to an actual pitching prospect in AA & above and even he is hurt at the moment.  Maybe Dunning comes back strong out of the gate next year, but we simply can’t count on that.

Agree, entirely.

Edited by Lillian

10 hours ago, Lillian said:

I think out plans haven't changed much even with the injuries yesterday. We need to acquire an Ace from another team and a number three type starter. We can do that with our low payroll. We also need to leave Lopez and Rodon in the bullpen to stabilize it. Add a few bullpen arms in FA and we would be okay. The rest of our money should go towards a competent RF and a one year DH guy. 

According to a story in the Sun-Times today Hahn yesterday defending the Sox training and medical staff (which implies a reporter must have asked about it. It also reminded me of Kenny doing the same to the media after the carnage of 2000-2001) but he also said the Sox have to keep "an open mind" about trying to keep players healthy.

Typical Hahn "cover all the bases" talk but I appreciated him at least acknowledging in an indirect way, there may be a problem somewhere the Sox are missing that could be a factor.  

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hamilton and Burdi should be healthy for next year. Hamilton will be in the pen. Burdi is a big question mark at this point, but I suppose the knee is better than an arm injury. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hamilton and Burdi should be healthy for next year. Hamilton will be in the pen. Burdi is a big question mark at this point, but I suppose the knee is better than an arm injury. 

I think it’s a stretch to say Hamilton will automatically be in the pen next year.  He may compete for a spot, but he never got fully right from the car accident and now he has this face injury that only adds further complexion.  

A ton of things have gone right at the major league level this year, but none of RH relief prospects have really stepped up and established themselves which kind of forces us to add some veteran help if we’re serious about competing next year.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think out plans haven't changed much even with the injuries yesterday. We need to acquire an Ace from another team and a number three type starter. We can do that with our low payroll. We also need to leave Lopez and Rodon in the bullpen to stabilize it. Add a few bullpen arms in FA and we would be okay. The rest of our money should go towards a competent RF and a one year DH guy. 

We can trade for that ace with what pieces?   If we trade Abreu, Colome, McCann, Leury, it would be for minor leaguers in a trade with a contender.   Otherwise, it’s that same list of pitchers like Stroman, Freeland, Foltynewitz, J.Gray, Archer...that are all going to cost significant minor league pieces we don’t happen to have with Collins arguably being our most expendable chip if they can get McCann to sign an attractive extension.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

We can trade for that ace with what pieces?   If we trade Abreu, Colome, McCann, Leury, it would be for minor leaguers in a trade with a contender.   Otherwise, it’s that same list of pitchers like Stroman, Freeland, Foltynewitz, J.Gray, Archer...that are all going to cost significant minor league pieces we don’t happen to have with Collins arguably being our most expendable chip if they can get McCann to sign an attractive extension.

I meant acquire as in sign through Free agency or trade. If we sign a guy like Rendon then we theoretically could start with a package around Madrigal and Collins. 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

I meant acquire as in sign through Free agency or trade. If we sign a guy like Rendon then we theoretically could start with a package around Madrigal and Collins. 

Then we wouldn’t have a second baseman for the future.  Moving Moncada back at this point would be nuts...but classic White Sox.

And that’s still not enough for anything more than a #3/4 starter.

27 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Then we wouldn’t have a second baseman for the future.  Moving Moncada back at this point would be nuts...but classic White Sox.

And that’s still not enough for anything more than a #3/4 starter.

I wouldn't call it nuts. There is no reason why Moncada couldn't move back to second and be elite overall as a second baseman. Teams are moving guys all around the diamond these days. Baez plays third, short, and second on a whim. Kris Bryant moves to left field. I am of the belief busts are gonna bust regardless. Moving a guy to 2nd where you had him playing before should not result in the player producing negative results. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I wouldn't call it nuts. There is no reason why Moncada couldn't move back to second and be elite overall as a second baseman. Teams are moving guys all around the diamond these days. Baez plays third, short, and second on a whim. Kris Bryant moves to left field. I am of the belief busts are gonna bust regardless. Moving a guy to 2nd where you had him playing before should not result in the player producing negative results. 

The problem is that Moncada has never been (for whatever reason) projected or billed by Hahn as one of those players you can move around everyday. 

I can just imagine the prolonged outcry if he had a slew of errors while attempting that (daily position changes) or his offense fell off to 2018 levels.  It was posed as the kind of thing he needed a full offseason to prepare for mentally.  (It should also be noted that the Sox moved Semien around constantly in the minors, only for him to become the third-ranked defensive SS playing there almost exclusively in 2018.)

We’d also start hearing about Beckham and Viciedo all over again.   If they wanted a jack of all trades, they could have simply signed Marwin Gonzalez....

Most importantly, Madrigal has more potential value to the White Sox than any other organization...arguably, which is why he won’t/can’t/shouldn’t be traded.  And trading the much more valuable Moncada to open up the 3B position for a $200 million Rendon...likewise doesn’t make much sense.

58 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is that Moncada has never been (for whatever reason) projected or billed by Hahn as one of those players you can move around everyday. 

I can just imagine the prolonged outcry if he had a slew of errors while attempting that (daily position changes) or his offense fell off to 2018 levels.  It was posed as the kind of thing he needed a full offseason to prepare for mentally.  (It should also be noted that the Sox moved Semien around constantly in the minors, only for him to become the third-ranked defensive SS playing there almost exclusively in 2018.)

We’d also start hearing about Beckham and Viciedo all over again.   If they wanted a jack of all trades, they could have simply signed Marwin Gonzalez....

Most importantly, Madrigal has more potential value to the White Sox than any other organization...arguably, which is why he won’t/can’t/shouldn’t be traded.  And trading the much more valuable Moncada to open up the 3B position for a $200 million Rendon...likewise doesn’t make much sense.

That's true about Moncada not moving around. Their plan was for him to play second if they got Machado, so this is why I wouldn't be concerned about. I don't want our guys to be Jack's of all trades, and certainly not Moncada, but he'd be fine at second. However, we do need a thay kind of guy just in case. 

I wouldn't mind trading Madrigal if you replace him with an elite talent like Rendon. Madrigal has unknown value because no one knows if he will develop any type of MLB power. I mentioned him as trade bait because had we signed Machado, where would we have played Madrigal anyway? Our FO has probably thought about a scenario where they would have to trade him. 

20 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I had no idea you are this smart.🙂

• Haha 1

So it looks like the Sox payroll next year will be around 28 million. I figure they will bring back Jose in a bridge year to Vaughn at like 12 million and won't trade Colome. That brings the payroll to around $40 million next year. 

How much do you think the Sox payroll will be on Opening Day 2020? I think they add like 45 million AAV next year and will rock a payroll around 85 million total. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

So it looks like the Sox payroll next year will be around 28 million. I figure they will bring back Jose in a bridge year to Vaughn at like 12 million and won't trade Colome. That brings the payroll to around $40 million next year. 

How much do you think the Sox payroll will be on Opening Day 2020? I think they add like 45 million AAV next year and will rock a payroll around 85 million total. 

I think it goes over $100M.  

11 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

85 million?  That would put us in the bottom 5 in all of baseball, lol.

If we don't have around 130 million in payroll next year there is something really wrong.

Edit:  Okay yeah, 85 million would be like 8 million less than we are spending this year.  That is in no way realistic.

Edited by BackDoorBreach
  • Love 1