The $$$$ will be spent!

OneDog847

21 minutes ago, mqr said:

They're going to spend money on pitching. Just probably won't put all their eggs in one basket. I would not be surprised to not hear their name at all in connection to Cole

I am leery about this method because all great teams should have a veteran ace. I am not ready to hand big game keys over to Gio, Kopech, Cease, or Lopez. 

16 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I am leery about this method because all great teams should have a veteran ace. I am not ready to hand big game keys over to Gio, Kopech, Cease, or Lopez. 

I agree with you but if Gio has a huge second half, he will solidify himself in my opinion

37 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

You have to try for the division next year. You cannot throw away a possible 90 win season with some upgrades. If we don't sign a big fish we need to be slapped first and foremost. Then we need to sign a few guys to 1 or two year prove it deals to stabilize our rotation. If we strike out I wouldn't mind Hammels on a short deal. 

I agree on Cole Hamels. I would sign him to a 2 year deal for somewhere around 40 million if they miss out on Cole or Bumgardner. 

The key is to avoid another situation like this year where the Sox are forced to sign guys off the street like Despaigne and Detwiler. The Sox should sign at least 3 starting pitchers this offseason. 

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

I agree with you but if Gio has a huge second half, he will solidify himself in my opinion

I need to see at least two years of good baseball from him. I think he will get there, but one year can be a fluke. He may not regress to bad, but he could regress to a number 3 or 4 starter. I still want a veteran because they have that experience. If Gio remains really good, then we will benefit anyway. 

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I need to see at least two years of good baseball from him. I think he will get there, but one year can be a fluke. He may not regress to bad, but he could regress to a number 3 or 4 starter. I still want a veteran because they have that experience. If Gio remains really good, then we will benefit anyway. 

They don't necessarily need Cole, but he would be awfully nice. If MadBum and Timmay can play nice I think MadBum is the ideal option. 

I've always been a huge Gerrit Cole fan so if they get him I'd be stoked. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Not worth starting a new thread, but AJ Reed DFA'd today.  Probably don't need him, but former top 20 prospect that would cost very little no nothing to acquire.  Would just be another guy to get in the way of Collins ABs, so again, probably not a fit, but felt it was worth mentioning.  

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not worth starting a new thread, but AJ Reed DFA'd today.  Probably don't need him, but former top 20 prospect that would cost very little no nothing to acquire.  Would just be another guy to get in the way of Collins ABs, so again, probably not a fit, but felt it was worth mentioning.  

A year or two ago, maybe. But definitely not now.

On 6/24/2019 at 12:44 PM, TaylorStSox said:

So salty. 

I don't see him jumping on the Cy Young bandwagon anytime soon. He might need a comeback season to put everything together at a minimum. Maybe a long rehab stint. Not expecting too much. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

They could release Daniel Palka so they can sign......Daniel Palka.

Hey, what would be wrong with picking up Logan Morrison, who was released by the Yankees? He is recovered from his hip surgery and was hitting really well at AAA. He's only 31 and is a bonafide power bat, from the left side. He would be a replacement for Alonso, and offer some protection for Eloy. I wouldn't sign him to any long term contract, but he might be willing to come to the South Side, on a short term deal, just to re-establish his value. That would make Palka haters happy, as he could go back to AAA.

Edited by Lillian

17 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Hey, what would be wrong with picking up Logan Morrison, who was released by the Yankees? He is recovered from his hip surgery and was hitting really well at AAA. He's only 31 and is a bonafide power bat, from the left side. He would be a replacement for Alonso, and offer some protection for Eloy. I wouldn't sign him to any long term contract, but he might be willing to come to the South Side, on a short term deal, just to re-establish his value. That would make Palka haters happy, as he could go back to AAA.

What in the world would signing Logan Morrison accomplish this year?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What in the world would signing Logan Morrison accomplish this year?

He’s a lefty bat.  Did you need to ask more?  😂

Seriously Lillian, you need to make some sense of your obsession with lefty power bats.  Morrison is a bum, and he’s an old bum.  I’m honestly surprised you didn’t get excited over AJ Reed being cut by the Astros.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

7 hours ago, Lillian said:

Jesus no. Picking up someone only because he hits left handed is an awful reason to pick someone up.

Everyone is complaining that R. R. is giving DH at bats to Rondon. Morrison would be a huge upgrade. Of course, if the object is to tank again, for another Draft pick, then I understand the objection to acquiring anyone who could help win ball games. In just 43 games, at AAA Scranton, Morrison has 11 doubles, 15 HR's, 37 RBI's, with a .289 AVG, .350 OBP and a .658 SLG%. His OPS is 1000. Oh, and against RHP, this season he has 11 homers in 105 at bats, one every 10 trips to the plate. Some "Bum". I would guess that my bad idea will be adopted by some team in need of a useful bat. And where did I say that they should acquire him, simply because he bats left handed? While I would consider that another positive factor, that is not the only  reason to consider him. His numbers speak for themselves. 

Edited by Lillian

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Everyone is complaining that R. R. is giving DH at bats to Rondon. Morrison would be a huge upgrade. Of course, if the object is to tank again, for another Draft pick, then I understand the objection to acquiring anyone who could help win ball games. In just 43 games, at AAA Scranton, Morrison has 11 doubles, 15 HR's, 37 RBI's, with a .289 AVG   .350 OBP and a .658 SLG%. His OPS is 1000. Oh, and against RHP, this season he has 11 homers in 105 at bats, one every 10 trips to the plate. Some "Bum". I would guess that my bad idea will be adopted by some team in need of a useful bat. 

That Rick Renteria is doing something stupid by benching the guy who should be getting at bats (Zach Collins) does not mean that we should do additional stupid things to placate him by adding in an additional player who would block the guy who should be getting at bats. We should stop doing stupid things and do smarter things instead.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That Rick Renteria is doing something stupid by benching the guy who should be getting at bats (Zach Collins) does not mean that we should do additional stupid things to placate him by adding in an additional player who would block the guy who should be getting at bats. We should stop doing stupid things and do smarter things instead.

I continue to favour sending Collins back to AAA, in order to get him more playing time, behind the plate. Having him DH is not going to help his development, as a catcher. McCann needs to be catching most of the games. Having McCann mentor him is a plus, but there is no substitution for getting the experience. If he cannot become a serviceable catcher, I don't think that his bat will play as a DH.

25 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Everyone is complaining that R. R. is giving DH at bats to Rondon. Morrison would be a huge upgrade. Of course, if the object is to tank again, for another Draft pick, then I understand the objection to acquiring anyone who could help win ball games. In just 43 games, at AAA Scranton, Morrison has 11 doubles, 15 HR's, 37 RBI's, with a .289 AVG, .350 OBP and a .658 SLG%. His OPS is 1000. Oh, and against RHP, this season he has 11 homers in 105 at bats, one every 10 trips to the plate. Some "Bum". I would guess that my bad idea will be adopted by some team in need of a useful bat. And where did I say that they should acquire him, simply because he bats left handed? While I would consider that another positive factor, that is not the only  reason to consider him. His numbers speak for themselves. 

Rondon is DHing in games where a lefty is on the mound. Meaning Morrison isn't really a good option in that scenario.

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

No one should care about a near 32 year old bum’s stats in AAA.  Morrison SHOULD dominate AAA after being in the big leagues for years.  He may be added as a bench bat by some contending team.  However, the last team in the MLB that should be interested in adding an old 1B/DH to their roster is the rebuilding White Sox.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Probably not worthy of a new thread, but what do you guys think of Wil Myers as a buy-low guy?

He's owed a bunch of money, isn't having a great year (I think he's been benched lately) and the Padres already have too many OFs as it is. You could probably get him just as a salary dump. Is his track record good enough to give him RF for a while here and see if he flourishes again?

8 minutes ago, Buehrlesque said:

Probably not worthy of a new thread, but what do you guys think of Wil Myers as a buy-low guy?

He's owed a bunch of money, isn't having a great year (I think he's been benched lately) and the Padres already have too many OFs as it is. You could probably get him just as a salary dump. Is his track record good enough to give him RF for a while here and see if he flourishes again?

Even in his best seasons, he didn’t OPS over .800, except for his rookie year.  I’d pass and look for a bigger better power hitter for RF with Robert in CF.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

55 minutes ago, Buehrlesque said:

He is a right handed hitter who is horrific defensively.  Might as well just put Andrew Vaughn out there.  At least he would hit.  Not to sound like Lillian, but Sox need a LH hitter out there, which is why I suggested a flyer on Polanco.

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

No one should care about a near 32 year old bum’s stats in AAA.  Morrison SHOULD dominate AAA after being in the big leagues for years.  He may be added as a bench bat by some contending team.  However, the last team in the MLB that should be interested in adding an old 1B/DH to their roster is the rebuilding White Sox.

The purpose of citing his AAA stats is not to attempt to convince anyone that he is a productive hitter. He has already established his bonafides, especially most recently, with his 2017 Major League production, with the Twins, when he hit 38 homers. The point is that he had a hip injury, which resulted in surgery. When the Yankees signed him to a Minor League contract in April, there were concerns about his health. His performance at AAA serves to alleviate those health concerns.

The Yankees thought that he might be a useful piece, which given all of their depth, and considering that he hadn't even demonstrated that he was fully recovered, suggests that not everyone thinks that he is a useless "bum". Again, if the Sox do not care about trying to win games, then I agree that there is no point in bringing in a guy, who will likely not be part of the future. However, if they do want to put the best team on the field, for the remainder of this season, that is a different story. Providing some protection for Eloy would be advantageous. I suspect that Morrison would be willing to take almost any offer to get playing time, in order to try to establish his value, as he vies for a contract in free agency, next year.

Regarding Collins: If the Sox can dump Castillo, it would be fine to have Collins serve as the back up catcher, under McCann's tutelage, for the remainder of this year. In that scenario, Zack could DH on days when McCann catches. The only problem with that plan is the inherent risk of having both catchers starting in the same game.

Edited by Lillian

20 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

He is a right handed hitter who is horrific defensively.  Might as well just put Andrew Vaughn out there.  At least he would hit.  Not to sound like Lillian, but Sox need a LH hitter out there, which is why I suggested a flyer on Polanco.

Polanco is someone I have thought of as well. What's the OF situation like in Pittsburgh? Is it crowded/going to be crowded with prospects knocking on the door?

Contract situation for those who do not know: 

2019 27 Pittsburgh Pirates $6,100,000 4.103    

2020 28 Pittsburgh Pirates $8,600,000    
2021 29 Pittsburgh Pirates $11,600,000    
2022 30 Pittsburgh Pirates *$12,500,000   $12.5M Team Option, $3M Buyout
2023 31 Pittsburgh Pirates *$13,500,000   $13.5M Team Option, $1M Buyout
  Earliest Free Agent: 2022
Edited by soxfan2014

19 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Polanco is someone I have thought of as well. What's the OF situation like in Pittsburgh? Is it crowded/going to be crowded with prospects knocking on the door?

Contract situation for those who do not know: 

2019 27 Pittsburgh Pirates $6,100,000 4.103    

2020 28 Pittsburgh Pirates $8,600,000    
2021 29 Pittsburgh Pirates $11,600,000    
2022 30 Pittsburgh Pirates *$12,500,000   $12.5M Team Option, $3M Buyout
2023 31 Pittsburgh Pirates *$13,500,000   $13.5M Team Option, $1M Buyout
  Earliest Free Agent: 2022

I don't think it's crowded, but they're quickly approaching a situation where they have to start dealing people.