The $$$$ will be spent!

OneDog847

6 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

I would steer clear of Avi. We've seen this show before. He will have a good year this year and then likely struggle again with staying healthy in the years ahead. 

I expected this kind of response, but MLBtraderumors makes a strong case that he might be every bit as valuable as Castellano. Ozuna or Puig. Probably would come cheaper too than any of those guys.

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

He still hovers around 91-94, his fastball is still above average for a lefty. He's been averaging 92+ for the last month. I think Bumgarner is a more realistic target than Cole and I'm 100% on board. We don't need him to be the ace, we need him for veteran presence and rotation stabilization. He only has to be a #3-4 here as I'm expecting Giolito and Kopech to be 1-2 (in either order) 

right now, I'd like them to find a short term answer to RF, while we let the OF depth play out. 

I've been on the Bumgarner ship since we started asking who we want for next year, but I'd settle for Quintana. Need a lefty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Give me Cole. And give me a lefty (Wood, Ryu, Hill - shit, maybe Bumgarner, but I don't see Cole and Bumgarner happening).  

Give me Grandal.

Gennett is interesting on a 1 year deal, but he likely gets more.  Dedtrich would be interesting too and his versatility is nice so we can use move him around when Madrigal arrives.  But I don't think Dedtrich is a FA until 2021.   

Resign Abreu.

I've banged the Castellanos and Ozuna drum, but with the Sox drafting Vaughn, it pigeonholes those guys into RF long term, as I believe Abreu will be resigned, and we also have Collins.  No room for them to DH or shift to 1B, really. OF defense just too poor with Eloy and Castellanos/Ozuna, so just not sure there is really a fit.  

Line-up come June:

Robert CF, Moncada 3B, Eloy LF, Abreu 1b, Grandal C, Gennett/Madrigal 2B, Anderson SS, Collins DH, Leury RF

BN: McCann, Yolmer, Tilson/Cordell 

Rotation: Cole, Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Wood/Ryu

2 hours ago, kwill said:

Anthony Rendon- The best baseball player of the last two free agent classes. Spend the damn money. 

The makings of a pretty good Sox team are right there. It will just require JR to open up the wallet.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Yeah. There are rumblings that the Cubs may go hard after Cole. If Hamels and Q are off the roster they will be able free up some cash for him. 

They'd have to pick up his option well before the time that Cole would be signing, they'll pick up that option just after the world series unless he gets hurt, that'll be 1.5 months before Cole has any prayer of signing. 

If they needed to clear salary, Q for 1 year at $11.5 is totally tradeable. 

Oh, and if they need to clear salary, the White Sox could use a LH hitting right fielder and have the ability to take on money. That'd be interesting too. 

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No not for $M10.5 but my bad for just going by the FA listing for 2020 on his B Ref, page without checking the options.

That's what I figured.

If the Cubs were to sign Cole, picking up one of their guys on the trade market could be an interesting concept as we wouldn't have to send over a lot if we were taking on salary.

My "two cents" worth is that left handed bats, such as Dietrich and Nimmo could work for RF. Forget about Rendon, Puig, Avi and all of the other right handed bats. We shouldn't need a top 10 hitter, in baseball, if Moncada, Robert, Vaughn, Eloy and Anderson perform as hoped. Just acquire a left handed bat, who can break up the chain of right handed hitters, in the middle of the order. How serious is this neck injury to Nimmo? He is not having a good year.

I know that some of you are going to respond with; "but we'll have two left handed, middle of the order bats, with Moncada and Collins". All I can say is; "good luck with that". I'll be surprised if Collins turns out to be a legitimate middle of the order hitter. He is not demonstrating that, so far in AAA. It might happen, but I wouldn't count it, nor would I suggest putting that kind of pressure on him. We're not even sure that he is going to be a serviceable Major League catcher. There is just too much uncertainty about him. That leaves one LH middle of the order bat; Moncada. 

Look, I know that I sound like a broken record. However, as I said, I'll stop when people here stop making suggestions for the acquisition of yet another RH hitter. I frankly don't understand why so many fail to recognise the flaw in the thinking that what this team needs is another RH bat. The Sox probably have only one open position, for which they can add another offensive player and that is RF. The task should be to find a capable defensive right fielder, who hits from the left side and can bat in the middle of the order. Suggestions, anyone?

Edited by Lillian

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

A left handed middle of the order bat is not the most important thing in the history of all lineups.  Teams win without them.

Perhaps not the most important thing, but don't you agree that it is a significant factor? If so, why fill the one remaining spot, right field, with yet another RH hitter? Why not seek better balance, as most teams do?

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

A left handed middle of the order bat is not the most important thing in the history of all lineups.  Teams win without them.

I so agree Kyyle, especially since defensive shifts are countering many LH pull hitters.  

Leury is a decent  LH platoon in CF or in RF for now.

Sox need pitching, pitching and more pitching.  That has to be the focus.

20 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If MLB implements the rule that bullpen arms have to stay for three batters, having balanced line-up construction will be more important. It will also reduce the number of times LHB have to face LHP.

However, I agree it isn't the most important factor.

Astros- Altuve, Bregman, Springer and Correa

Red Sox- Martinez, Betts Bogaerts

Yankees- Stanton, Judge, Sanchez

Point being- I don't care what side of the plate you are on right or left. I just want you to be very very good at hitting. Give me Anthony Rendon any day of the week.

You can always find guys who can platoon at DH if you want a left handed hitter. Last year Palka had an .824 OPS against Righties, Last Year Cargo batted a cool .828 against Righties- point is these guys are a dime a dozen. 

Edited by kwill

28 minutes ago, kwill said:

Astros- Altuve, Bregman, Springer and Correa

Red Sox- Martinez, Betts Bogaerts

Yankees- Stanton, Judge, Sanchez

Point being- I don't care what side of the plate you are on right or left. I just want you to be very very good at hitting. Give me Anthony Rendon any day of the week.

You can always find guys who can platoon at DH if you want a left handed hitter. Last year Palka had an .824 OPS against Righties, Last Year Cargo batted a cool .828 against Righties- point is these guys are a dime a dozen. 

The best 3-4-5 that I remember the Sox having were all RH batters: Hurt, Maggs and Konerko. 

Edited by Jack Parkman