The $$$$ will be spent!

OneDog847

On 6/6/2019 at 10:35 AM, OneDog847 said:

The Cubs are putting their $ where their mouth is unlike the Sox so far. The Cubs also spent before their contention window was open unlike the Sox.

This offseason is very pivotal if the Sox plan on competing anytime soon. Will the $$$ be spent? 

Did you miss the part where Kimbrel says he likes to play in front of fans. That's why we end up with Dunn and Keppinger. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pcq said:

Did you miss the part where Kimbrel says he likes to play in front of fans. That's why we end up with Dunn and Keppinger. 

Maybe you'd have more fans if the team won more than one World Series in 102 years, not to mention the club has never even won a wild card spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pcq said:

This is why I keep saying we need to have some semblance of success this season. This off-season will be big for us and we want FA's to see that our guys have true potential, and aren't simply raw guys. 

18 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know we’ve had our disagreements in the past, but I fully agree with you here. They will have to spend significantly just to avoid the “cheap” label.  And with the young core taking some major strides this season, they’ve simply run out of excuses.  There will be some serious spending next offseason.

It will be really interesting to see what the Sox do this offseason. I can't imagine they will punt another offseason but you never know with this Front Office and owner. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This is why I keep saying we need to have some semblance of success this season. This off-season will be big for us and we want FA's to see that our guys have true potential, and aren't simply raw guys. 

I believe this is 100% correct. I think the White Sox have to be decently competitive enough for a free agent to believe that they are going to put them over the top. It is really the only reason why I would be against trading Colome. 

I do not have any dreams of a wild card birth but if we could be able .500 to end the season, I do believe that will help attract free agents. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 5:00 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

While I think Rendon is probably a pipe dream, if you get him you simply move Moncada back to 2B and make Madrigal (once he gets here) the 10th man and rotate him all over the field.  That would be an excellent problem to have.

I know this is an old post/thread, but I’ve been thinking about Rendon lately and didn’t want to start a new thread. I know he’s a long shot to sign, but why couldn’t Rendon just play 2B, while keeping Moncada at 3B? I’d hate to move Moncada again, as he seems very comfortable this year. 

I’ve heard people comment that we are “wasting” Moncada at 3B, because if he put up those same offensive numbers while playing 2B, he’d be much more valuable. So wouldn’t Rendon playing 2B make him even more valuable than he already is?

Disclaimer: I admittedly don’t know much about how good Rendon is defensively at 2B compared to 3B. 

16 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I know this is an old post/thread, but I’ve been thinking about Rendon lately and didn’t want to start a new thread. I know he’s a long shot to sign, but why couldn’t Rendon just play 2B, while keeping Moncada at 3B? I’d hate to move Moncada again, as he seems very comfortable this year. 

I’ve heard people comment that we are “wasting” Moncada at 3B, because if he put up those same offensive numbers while playing 2B, he’d be much more valuable. So wouldn’t Rendon playing 2B make him even more valuable than he already is?

Disclaimer: I admittedly don’t know much about how good Rendon is defensively at 2B compared to 3B. 

I don't think anybody is sure Rendon can cover 2B long term.  Furthermore I wouldn't trust the Sox' scouts to be right either way on it.  It would be a risk but it might be one worth taking.

34 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

In this scenario Moncada moves back to 2B. He knows the position and has potential there. He will also become elite there allowing us to add an elite Rendon. I know it sucks for Yoan, but we are trying to when titles, so he'll need to suck it up. 

24 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

In this scenario Moncada moves back to 2B. He knows the position and has potential there. He will also become elite there allowing us to add an elite Rendon. I know it sucks for Yoan, but we are trying to when titles, so he'll need to suck it up. 

You already have Madrigal coming up soon to handle 2nd base for the next 10 years.  Forget spending money on what we don't need and spend it on pitching and right field.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, poppysox said:

You already have Madrigal coming up soon to handle 2nd base for the next 10 years.  Forget spending money on what we don't need and spend it on pitching and right field.

With free agency today and the history of the organization I wouldn't place a bet on your statement...now with new ownership anything is possible.

45 minutes ago, poppysox said:

There is only one pitcher that will cost big money and is elite and that is Cole. If Rendon wants to be here you take him and trade Madrigal in a package for a stud pitcher. Madrigal scares me because he lacks power right now and we have to hope he develops it. 

46 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

There is only one pitcher that will cost big money and is elite and that is Cole. If Rendon wants to be here you take him and trade Madrigal in a package for a stud pitcher. Madrigal scares me because he lacks power right now and we have to hope he develops it. 

We were told he is the most major league ready hitter in his draft class and would be gold glove caliber right now.  Has great stolen bases abilities and his strike outs are practically nonexistent.  Teams need guys who can lay down bunts, hit behind the runner, steal a base and catch the ball.  The Sox have Jimenez & Abreu who are good power guys but just adequate defensively.  Moncada, Anderson & Robert are 5 tool guys and not many teams have 3 of those.  Guys like Madrigal will be just as integral to wins as any of the other players I've named.  I'll stick with my opinion that two good starters and a right fielder are what is needed for Sox competing for the WS.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

We were told he is the most major league ready hitter in his draft class and would be gold glove caliber right now.  Has great stolen bases abilities and his strike outs are practically nonexistent.  Teams need guys who can lay down bunts, hit behind the runner, steal a base and catch the ball.  The Sox have Jimenez & Abreu who are good power guys but just adequate defensively.  Moncada, Anderson & Robert are 5 tool guys and not many teams have 3 of those.  Guys like Madrigal will be just as integral to wins as any of the other players I've named.  I'll stick with my opinion that two good starters and a right fielder are what is needed for Sox competing for the WS.

Well, I look at it as putting the most talent on the field. In the listed scenario, Magical would net us a pitcher who would be very valuable. There are plenty of professional hitters on the market with low OPS'. I'd take my chances with a star in Rendon, a stud pitcher, and batting Anderson or Robert leadoff for the time being. Losing Magical would suck, but we'd get over it with the influx of talent we'd get. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well, I look at it as putting the most talent on the field. In the listed scenario, Magical would net us a pitcher who would be very valuable. There are plenty of professional hitters on the market with low OPS'. I'd take my chances with a star in Rendon, a stud pitcher, and batting Anderson or Robert leadoff for the time being. 

Rendon uses up tons of cash that is better used in my opinion on pitching and right fielder.  I understand that people like these so called stars.  We're not the Yankees with unlimited resources.  Some fans would like a 30 mil per year player and some of us would prefer 3 good players at 10 mil each.  Just a different way to use the resources available.

8 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Rendon uses up tons of cash that is better used in my opinion on pitching and right fielder.  I understand that people like these so called stars.  We're not the Yankees with unlimited resources.  Some fans would like a 30 mil per year player and some of us would prefer 3 good players at 10 mil each.  Just a different way to use the resources available.

The reason I want a stud player like Rendon and a stud pitcher is because we have a bunch of cheap salaries for 5 years to 7 years. We need to add in a few premium talents to put us in that title conversation every year. We will still have payrolls less than 150 million doing this. With this lineup you can afford to have a light hitting defensive right fielder. The top teams are going away from that professional lead off hitter.

I understand tour point about 3 10 million dollar guys but we have 7 spots in our lineup that will be filled by a cheapish good young player. Fill one of the other two with a star and the last with a defensive RF and you have a great lineup.

Then you have a rotation of Gio, Kopech, the guy you trade Magical for, Cease, and whoever wins the 5th spot. We have the money and resources to make this happen.  

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

The reason I want a stud player like Rendon and a stud pitcher is because we have a bunch of cheap salaries for 5 years to 7 years. We need to add in a few premium talents to put us in that title conversation every year. We will still have payrolls less than 150 million doing this. With this lineup you can afford to have a light hitting defensive right fielder. The top teams are going away from that professional lead off hitter.

I understand tour point about 3 10 million dollar guys but we have 7 spots in our lineup that will be filled by a cheapish good young player. Fill one of the other two with a star and the last with a defensive RF and you have a great lineup.

Then you have a rotation of Gio, Kopech, the guy you trade Magical for, Cease, and whoever wins the 5th spot. We have the money and resources to make this happen.  

Mark my words...Madrigal would come back to haunt us.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, poppysox said:

Like LaRoche, Robertson, and Melky a few years back? The Sox have already played that game and lost big time. 

Go get Rendon and/or Cole. If Cole goes to the one of the big boys trade Madrigal and another piece for Zach Grienke. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, poppysox said:

Mark my words...Madrigal would come back to haunt us.

The Sale trade is haunting us even though he won a title. Because we got talent to make up for his loss that betters our team. Losing a potentially great player in Magical stings less when you add a Rendon and a front line starter in a trade for him. It gets less stingy if you also Sign a top FA pitcher and a competent RF. 

Also, who are these three 10 million dollar players you keep speaking of that would get us over the top? 

8 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Like LaRoche, Robertson, and Melky a few years back? The Sox have already played that game and lost big time. 

Go get Rendon and/or Cole. If Cole goes to the one of the big boys trade Madrigal and another piece for Zach Grienke. 

Agreed, the $30 million dollar player is almost always more productive than three $10 million dollar players, especially the way Hahn picks his free agents.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

8 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

They also played that game in 2004/5 with AJ, Iguchi, and Dye and won big time.  You can go the big $30mil route and lose big time as well.  

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Agreed, the $30 million dollar player is almost always more productive than three $10 million dollar players, especially the way Hahn picks his free agents.

Let's not forget 7 positions are also set for us. So we shouldn't fill one spot with a great player but instead go cheap on both. In all seriousness, we can afford a good position player and a good pitcher this offseason. Then we can fill in the gaps. 

Just now, TheBlackSox8 said:

They also played that game in 2004/5 with AJ, Iguchi, and Dye and won big time.  You can go the big $30mil route and lose big time as well.  

Teams who compete year end and year out spend big bucks. It doesn't always work out, but they are mostly in the contention conversation. Those frugal spenders tend to be the one hit every 5 to 8 year wonders and playoff flameouts. 

• Like 1