Sign in to follow this  
ron883

Is Ricky Renteria once again simply a placeholder manager?

Is Ricky Renteria once again simply a placeholder manager?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Is Ricky Renteria once again simply a placeholder manager?

• Yes, he will be replaced when the team is competitive
    • No, the front office believes in him

Do you think the FO actually plans on having Ricky here long term, or is he just a placeholder for now?

I can't believe anybody thinks he is a good manager. He is so bad. Does the FO really like him as a manager? 

Probably, but I fear Vizquel will be even worse so I'm indifferent 

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Probably, but I fear Vizquel will be even worse so I'm indifferent 

Hire Jirschele and keep my dream alive that he is baseball's Sean McVay

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

He is a stud. 

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That would be awesome.

Hopefully he gets a supermodel babe of a GF like McVay has, too. That would be the best

I'm inclined to believe that Ricky's become "one of JRs guys" and as such, has all the job security in the world. It's too much of the status quo for me to believe that he's a placeholder.

Unfortunately, we may have to see our team winning despite his shortcomings and ultimately losing some winnable games as well. 

I look forward to the community meltdowns. 

• Like 1

I have a weird view of Ricky. On the one hand, his tactics, for the most part, capital S Suck. On the other, his players seem to like him and he seems to run a pretty tight ship. 

I voted 'no' although I think the answer should be yes. I have zero faith that the FO will replace a company man regardless of the evidence.

RR is a point A to B manager that should be replaced when the team is ready to take the next step.  But this being the White Sox, he won't be.   And if this team wins it will be despite Renteria and not because of him.  He's not Ned Yost bad, but he's not good.

• Like 1

RR should be team chaplain and cook. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

If he is a placeholder why did they sign him an extension prior to this season?

Not that I disagree that the Sox will fuck this up and keep him way too long -- but managers get extended and then fired quite often.  Their contracts are partially guaranteed at best.  

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Not that I disagree that the Sox will fuck this up and keep him way too long -- but managers get extended and then fired quite often.  Their contracts are partially guaranteed at best.  

By a Reinsdorf owned franchise though?

I am somewhere in between the answers.  I think they really like Vizquel and they will eventually bring him up to be the bench coach and he will take over when Ricky gets bumped upstairs.  I do not think they fire Renteria unless the team really underperforms when the pieces are in place to win.

RH, KW, and JR gush over Ricky. Like it or not, he will be calling for bunts from the White Sox dugout for a long time.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ron883 said:

Jirschele really impressed me the few times I heard him interviewed.  I do wonder if we would ever consider Girardi.

• Haha 1

Remember the Sox (quietly... which was very odd) extended his contract last year. JR does not like to pay people not to work. He's now part of "the family" and won't be going anywhere soon for better or for worse.

If Renteria is replaced I'm sure it will be another low paying manager who has very little if any MLB experience as a manager. JR isn't going to pay any big money for a manager. He never has paid big for a manager and he never will.

4 hours ago, ron883 said:

I love Jirschele, and I'd much rather have him than RR or Vizquel. However, I wonder if it would work in such sport like baseball where traditions have such a strong pull. Can a 29 year old guy bench a 35 year old veteran without losing the locker room? Seems like his age would be a much bigger challenge for him at the MLB level vs A+

Things are really bad with Renteria right now.  His pitching decisions have been more puzzling than usual the last few weeks.  Herrera getting hurt/becoming a pitching machine seems to have really hurt the pen (or leaving Lopez in far too long), despite Marshall/Bummer/Colome's brilliance.  With June looking like a potential avalanche of losses, it would be nice to squeak out a few wins due to quality decision making instead of losing because of bad decision making.