Is Ricky Renteria once again simply a placeholder manager?

ron883

Is Ricky Renteria once again simply a placeholder manager?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Is Ricky Renteria once again simply a placeholder manager?

• Yes, he will be replaced when the team is competitive
    • No, the front office believes in him

Do you think the FO actually plans on having Ricky here long term, or is he just a placeholder for now?

I can't believe anybody thinks he is a good manager. He is so bad. Does the FO really like him as a manager? 

I'm inclined to believe that Ricky's become "one of JRs guys" and as such, has all the job security in the world. It's too much of the status quo for me to believe that he's a placeholder.

Unfortunately, we may have to see our team winning despite his shortcomings and ultimately losing some winnable games as well. 

I look forward to the community meltdowns. 

• Like 1

RR is a point A to B manager that should be replaced when the team is ready to take the next step.  But this being the White Sox, he won't be.   And if this team wins it will be despite Renteria and not because of him.  He's not Ned Yost bad, but he's not good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

If he is a placeholder why did they sign him an extension prior to this season?

Not that I disagree that the Sox will fuck this up and keep him way too long -- but managers get extended and then fired quite often.  Their contracts are partially guaranteed at best.  

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Not that I disagree that the Sox will fuck this up and keep him way too long -- but managers get extended and then fired quite often.  Their contracts are partially guaranteed at best.  

By a Reinsdorf owned franchise though?

I am somewhere in between the answers.  I think they really like Vizquel and they will eventually bring him up to be the bench coach and he will take over when Ricky gets bumped upstairs.  I do not think they fire Renteria unless the team really underperforms when the pieces are in place to win.

3 hours ago, ron883 said:

Hire Jirschele and keep my dream alive that he is baseball's Sean McVay

Jirschele really impressed me the few times I heard him interviewed.  I do wonder if we would ever consider Girardi.

• Haha 1

If Renteria is replaced I'm sure it will be another low paying manager who has very little if any MLB experience as a manager. JR isn't going to pay any big money for a manager. He never has paid big for a manager and he never will.

4 hours ago, ron883 said:

Hire Jirschele and keep my dream alive that he is baseball's Sean McVay

I love Jirschele, and I'd much rather have him than RR or Vizquel. However, I wonder if it would work in such sport like baseball where traditions have such a strong pull. Can a 29 year old guy bench a 35 year old veteran without losing the locker room? Seems like his age would be a much bigger challenge for him at the MLB level vs A+

Things are really bad with Renteria right now.  His pitching decisions have been more puzzling than usual the last few weeks.  Herrera getting hurt/becoming a pitching machine seems to have really hurt the pen (or leaving Lopez in far too long), despite Marshall/Bummer/Colome's brilliance.  With June looking like a potential avalanche of losses, it would be nice to squeak out a few wins due to quality decision making instead of losing because of bad decision making.