Is Ricky Renteria once again simply a placeholder manager?

ron883

Is Ricky Renteria once again simply a placeholder manager?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Is Ricky Renteria once again simply a placeholder manager?

• Yes, he will be replaced when the team is competitive
    • No, the front office believes in him

I tend to believe we'd see Jirschele over Vizquel, but the way they keep moving Vizquel with the glut of prospects seems like a hint of the future direction of the manager position. I just can't seem to see how Ricky is replaced. JR and his undying loyalty reaches levels of ridiculousness one can't comprehend. 

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Remember the Sox (quietly... which was very odd) extended his contract last year. JR does not like to pay people not to work. He's now part of "the family" and won't be going anywhere soon for better or for worse.

A promotion is in order.

16 hours ago, mqr said:

I have a weird view of Ricky. On the one hand, his tactics, for the most part, capital S Suck. On the other, his players seem to like him and he seems to run a pretty tight ship. 

I think your spot on. Tactics can be learned. Remember the talent level has a lot to do with it

2 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

I think your spot on. Tactics can be learned. Remember the talent level has a lot to do with it

He needs more help from his bench then "hey Ricky...maybe we should get someone up in the bullpen."

RR certainly makes some questionable decisions. But we must also realize he was handed a lousy team with a few young players w a lot of potential.  I think we will see a new manager in 2021 when we should be ready to take the next big step forward. 

Renteria should be replaced but won't be.

Reinsdorf tends to double down whenever the fanbases on either sides of town screams out for change. 

Robin Ventura was an outstanding baseball player. His reputation as one of the best third basemen in Sox history was firmly cemented. 

To this day, I don't believe he actively petitioned for that manager's job.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes?

I love Robin and it pains me what they did to him.

I doubt we will ever see Robin again at a Sox function and that's a loss for all of us.

Harry Caray and Bill Veeck loathed Reinsdorf and with good reason.

Edited by GradMc

When did the White Sox brass actually fire anyone?  It took pressure from season ticket holders to convince Robin Ventura to step away and Ozzie quit. The last White Sox manager I remember to be summarily canned in the middle of the season was Tony Larussa who went on to great  success elsewhere. The White Sox hierarchy is one of kinder gentler nature.

7 minutes ago, Melton1972 said:

When did the White Sox brass actually fire anyone?  It took pressure from season ticket holders to convince Robin Ventura to step away and Ozzie quit. The last White Sox manager I remember to be summarily canned in the middle of the season was Tony Larussa who went on to great  success elsewhere. The White Sox hierarchy is one of kinder gentler nature.

LOL.

I sure hope your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek.

Kinder ?

Gentler ?

You can't be serious.

But I know Reinsdorf has his staunch supporters.

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

Renteria should be replaced but won't be.

Reinsdorf tends to double down whenever the fanbases on either sides of town screams out for change. 

Robin Ventura was an outstanding baseball player. His reputation as one of the best third basemen in Sox history was firmly cemented. 

To this day, I don't believe he actively petitioned for that manager's job.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes?

I love Robin and it pains me what they did to him.

I doubt we will ever see Robin again at a Sox function and that's a loss for all of us.

Harry Caray and Bill Veeck loathed Reinsdorf and with good reason.

It has been widely reported that Kenny talked Robin into taking the job, he really had no interest originally.

7 hours ago, GradMc said:

LOL.

I sure hope your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek.

Kinder ?

Gentler ?

You can't be serious.

But I know Reinsdorf has his staunch supporters.

I meant that they dont have the guts to make the firing decisions that need to be made. I am not a Reinsdorf supporter.

40 minutes ago, Melton1972 said:

I meant that they dont have the guts to make the firing decisions that need to be made. I am not a Reinsdorf supporter.

With all due respect...Jerry Reinsdorf is worth over 1.5 Billion.  Do you really think he made that amount of money by being a weak leader.  I don't like all the results but to call guys like Reinsdorf lacking the guts to make decisions just isn't reasonable.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

With all due respect...Jerry Reinsdorf is worth over 1.5 Billion.  Do you really think he made that amount of money by being a weak leader.  I don't like all the results but to call guys like Reinsdorf lacking the guts to make decisions just isn't reasonable.

JR is an exceptional businessman. You don't luck your way into getting a professional franchise, he earned the opportunity.

As an owner, JR appears to be a meddler, is far to loyal, hold grudges and is concerned more about "fiscal responsibility" (and at one time breaking the union) then achieving sustained success on the field.

It's unfortunate for the franchise and especially for the fans...he could have done so much more (and made even more money to boot by consistently winning) 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

JR is an exceptional businessman. You don't luck your way into getting a professional franchise, he earned the opportunity.

As an owner, JR appears to be a meddler, is far to loyal, hold grudges and is concerned more about "fiscal responsibility" (and at one time breaking the union) then achieving sustained success on the field.

It's unfortunate for the franchise and especially for the fans...he could have done so much more (and made even more money to boot by consistently winning) 

This is a rare moment...I agree with everything you said.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

This is a rare moment...I agree with everything you said.

I've always found this quote to be very prophetic as it turned out:

Jerry Reinsdorf was a “source of intrigue” and in the future could become a “source of controversy.” –From a story by reporter Linda Kay, Chicago Tribune January 30, 1981.

13 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It's unfortunate for the franchise and especially for the fans...he could have done so much more (and made even more money to boot by consistently  

1)If somebody is going to judge JR as a business man you have to rate him as a success. He is worth nothing but money. Both the Bulls and White Sox have become gold mines for him.

2)If you're going to judge JR as a Baseball owner you have to judge him differently. As a White Sox owner the 2005 World Championship is the only thing he can hang his hat on. Other than that his ownership has been a flop. The things that he has done wrong as a owner are too long to list. One of the comments you always hear about JR is how much baseball means to him. It might mean something to him but I think  making money has always been and always  will be the main thing with him. I wish he would sell the team. If the day comes when this franchise has a new owner that new owner will be welcomed with open arms by White Sox fans.

Edited by WBWSF

On 6/9/2019 at 6:54 AM, WBWSF said:

1)If somebody is going to judge JR as a business man you have to rate him as a success. He is worth nothing but money. Both the Bulls and White Sox have become gold mines for him.

2)If you're going to judge JR as a Baseball owner you have to judge him differently. As a White Sox owner the 2005 World Championship is the only thing he can hang his hat on. Other than that his ownership has been a flop. The things that he has done wrong as a owner are too long to list. One of the comments you always hear about JR is how much baseball means to him. It might mean something to him but I think  making money has always been and always  will be the main thing with him. I wish he would sell the team. If the day comes when this franchise has a new owner that new owner will be welcomed with open arms by White Sox fans.

Yeah, but let's be real. What did the White Sox do from 1920-1980 that was so insanely great? 1 world series appearance in the span of 60 years. One. ONE. ONE!!!! I'm sorry, but fans deserve a little bit more success than 1 world series appearance before they collect their social security check. FFS. 

Reinsdorf has been polarizing and has done a lot of things that make me question the core of his capability to turn this franchise around, but this is far from a Reinsdorf issue. This has been an issue with the White Sox for a vast majority of their history. 

Edited by Dan of Steel

Like I said in a previous post, I hope Ricky and the Boyz win the World Series this season to prove everyone wrong. We shouldnt use people as placeholders, unless they dont do the job. If Ricky is not the man, then replace him now. I believe he is da Man!

On 6/7/2019 at 10:45 PM, harkness99 said:

Renteria just isn't very smart - it's that simple.

If you listen to him talk you can tell... C student.. nice kid who likes to help.

While smarts is a plus, I love the knowledge guys myself, but its not necessary to be a champion, to be an all our scholar of the game. Different people have different gifts such as heart, sportsmanship,forging chemistry, knowing the players, etc.

Edited by Chisox378

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:30 AM, JoshPR said:

Tactics can be learned as a younger man.  Can trailblazing new tactics really be learned in a very short amount of time by a man closing in on 60?  If so what's he been waiting for this whole time?

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:46 AM, Melton1972 said:

Wasn't Jerry Manuel fired?  Granted, it was over 15 years ago.