White Sox @ Royals 1:15pm CST. Giolito vs Keller

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, bmags said:

And between the velocity and strikeouts, the only thing you could quibble with sustaining is his two pitch mix, but When his changeup is this good...

If he's this good so far, he can start adding in other pitches over time. That's literally what Sale and Quintana both did.

1 hour ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

Soxtalk hates winning

Of course it does. The past couple years all I've been doing is fighting with the rebuild/tank lovers who actively rooted for losses so we could get a better draft pick. It hasn't been as bad this year. There's some new board blood that really likes to win. I Love you new people.

p.s. I applaud you Gio and Eloy. Wow. Gio is fricking amazing; ditto Eloy.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Giolito is 9-1. He had 10 wins all of last year.

I hear you and applaud Gio, but you can't use that stat. W/L means nothing in Moneyball era. I wish it did. I enjoyed those days immensely as I bet Lip Man did. GO SOX! GO GIO! GO COLOME!

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

He's got a very good shot. Still some more time before that game, though.

He's an all star unless he gets hurt. This is spectacular. Whether he starts or not will depend a lot on who is on regular rest when the game hits, but he's our all star. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

He's an all star unless he gets hurt. This is spectacular. Whether he starts or not will depend a lot on who is on regular rest when the game hits, but he's our all star. 

His next 3 starts are against the Yanks, Sawx and Cubs. Huge test. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

He's older than Avi and less productive.

I always liked Avi accept his time on the DL.  With Avi you probably get more offense and with Hayward a lot more defense.  Hayward is 29 year old which doesn't make him old.  Excellent defense and has rediscovered some semblance of what he once was offensively.  I was suggesting a Cubs deal probably could fit both teams if Hayward could be had at discount.  Dye was available to us for similar circumstances when slow recovering from an injury while with Oakland.  Dye and Hayward always reminded me a bit of each other.  A pitcher like Colome would be attractive to our friends on the Northside.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He's "one" of our all stars.

Edited by poppysox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I always liked Avi accept his time on the DL.  With Avi you probably get more offense and with Hayward a lot more defense.  Hayward is 29 year old which doesn't make him old.  Excellent defense and has rediscovered some semblance of what he once was offensively.  I was suggesting a Cubs deal probably could fit both teams if Hayward could be had at discount.  Dye was available to us for similar circumstances when slow recovering from an injury while with Oakland.  Dye and Hayward always reminded me a bit of each other.  A pitcher like Colome would be attractive to our friends on the Northside.  

Not a bad take, poppy. I would think Cubbies would have to pay most of Hayward's salary. Sox don't want to go there.

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Not a bad take, poppy. I would think Cubbies would have to pay most of Hayward's salary. Sox don't want to go there.

IMO they could get Hayward for what we pay Colome.

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Doesn't seem to be bothering them financially though and this year both of those guys are actually producing some positive results. They seem to be willing to take risks, the Sox don't seem willing to do that. So be it.

Regarding the game today, the 2019 White Sox MVP is Lucas Giolito's high school pitching coach! Period...end of discussion.

He needs to be hired by the Sox and can Cooper.

And they finally benched Alonso. Maybe Ricky CAN learn something!

You obviously didnt hear giolito give credit to cooper and hasler for his improved mental approach which he said is 90% of the improvement between last year and this year.

43 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I hear you and applaud Gio, but you can't use that stat. W/L means nothing in Moneyball era. I wish it did. I enjoyed those days immensely as I bet Lip Man did. GO SOX! GO GIO! GO COLOME!

I understand you can get a W without pitching very well.  You can also get a L while being really good.  I'll never believe you can be 9-1 with anything short of outstanding pitching.  I guess I'm old fashioned.  Oh well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bmags said:

And between the velocity and strikeouts, the only thing you could quibble with sustaining is his two pitch mix, but When his changeup is this good...

I love his mound presence.  He's got that I've got your number look.

22 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You obviously didnt hear giolito give credit to cooper and hasler for his improved mental approach which he said is 90% of the improvement between last year and this year.

No I did not. I only read the stories at the Sox web site and at MLB.com where they talked about him going to his high school pitching coach who changed his mechanics. This is something Cooper, supposedly the great pitching coach, should have been able to detect and change. It's ludicrous that a professional pitcher had to go back to a high school coach to work on these things.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

No I did not. I only read the stories at the Sox web site and at MLB.com where they talked about him going to his high school pitching coach who changed his mechanics. This is something Cooper, supposedly the great pitching coach, should have been able to detect and change. It's ludicrous that a professional pitcher had to go back to a high school coach to work on these things.

Giolito said the mechanical changes were minimal compared to the mental approach changes. 

You do know his high school coach is now a professional pitching coach. There was no mechanical flaw to detect. They just went back more to what he did in high school as opposed  to what the nationals changed, which in theory should have been better for him but he could never get comfortable with them.

I've been gone most of the day, and was actually surprised to see so much complaining after the game.  Anyone stirring the pot after a game where Giolito dominated and Eloy provided the only runs really needs to just stop watching for the next year and a half.  This is up there with the Astros shutout from Giolito as the best rebuild game of the season.

• Like 3

Lost in the excitement of Giolito tossing a gem...the 4 outs needed to end the game came quite painlessly. Bummer and Colome made short work with four up and four down.  Nice when the bullpen doesn't make you squirm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I am not going to bash on Cooper like some do because he has lots of success with our staff and seems very well respected. But, you do have to wonder if the organization gets young pitchers and starts messing with their delivery to often. Fulmer  seems to be a case in point. 

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Of course it does. The past couple years all I've been doing is fighting with the rebuild/tank lovers who actively rooted for losses so we could get a better draft pick. It hasn't been as bad this year. There's some new board blood that really likes to win. I Love you new people.

p.s. I applaud you Gio and Eloy. Wow. Gio is fricking amazing; ditto Eloy.

Eloy & Gio are products of the rebuild/tank.

• Like 1