What options does Renteria have with Yonder Alonso?

TBrown54

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They are not going to let his option vest.  They will just release him in August if they need to. 

14 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

There must be a young player to give Alonso’s at bats to.  Alonso is wasting them.

Why wait until August? Just quit avoiding the inevitable and do it now.

Matt Skole has a 969 OPS in Charlotte. Bring him up. 

8 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

So if Yonder somehow actually does reach the vesting option with PAs, we still have a $1M buyout that can override that, right?

I don't believe that is how it works.  I think if he doesn't reach the vesting option, the Sox owe him $1M (unless he is on another MLB roster at the end of the season, then they owe him).  I do not believe the buy-out has the power to override the option if it vests.  That being said, there is no way the Sox are letting that option vest.   

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't believe that is how it works.  I think if he doesn't reach the vesting option, the Sox owe him $1M (unless he is on another MLB roster at the end of the season, then they owe him).  I do not believe the buy-out has the power to override the option if it vests.  That being said, there is no way the Sox are letting that option vest.   

I hope you are right but we'll see.

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I will bet you any dollar amount you'd like, Lip.  

Again I hope you are right. But I've seen the Sox do some really, really stupid things as a fan for 58 seasons now. I just don't think the odds are 100% guaranteed they let him go. There is a small chance for whatever dumb reason they hang on to him.

You all realize Alonso will continue to play regularly don't you? You sign a guy for that kind of money, you play him. Case closed. Ricky's hands are tied. He plays until the day he's released. This is not Ricky's decision. It's a front office decision. Why blame Ricky Renteria? His MUST PLAY Alonso. That's how it works.

Edited by greg775

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

You all realize Alonso will continue to play regularly don't you? You sign a guy for that kind of money, you play him. Case closed. Ricky's hands are tied. He plays until the day he's released. This is not Ricky's decision. It's a front office decision. Why blame Ricky Renteria? His MUST PLAY Alonso. That's how it works.

He wasn’t signed, they traded for him.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

No, he is not being forced to play Yonder.  If anything, the opposite would be more realistic.  The Sox front office will not tell Renteria to play Yonder every day regardless of his performance if they do not want his option to vest.  He just had a few games off for "mental respite".  Read between the lines, and you'll see the Sox controlling his plate appearances.  And the money isn't a concern.  He was traded for, not signed, and the Sox will end up doing one of three things: Try to trade him, release him before the end of the season, or limit his plate appearances.

38 minutes ago, The Beast said:

He wasn’t signed, they traded for him.

That makes it worse. Genius if it gets them Machado, massive failure and joke if it doesn't, and that's with Alonso being what he's been the last couple of seasons. Since he is nowhere near that, it's beyond belief failure.

The interesting thing to think about for me was had his presence actually made Machado take JR's money, would his rope be longer than it will be now? 

Edited by Dick Allen

My guess is that part of Hahn's case to JR for the "friends and family" approach is that they were still getting good players even if Machado didn't sign.  To that end, the hope was that Alonso would have a good year and that they would play him enough so that his option would vest.  He could be used next year as a bridge between Abreu (whom I don't think they wanted to extend; otherwise, he would be extended) and Collins or whomever.  That way they wouldn't have to worry about trading for or signing a 1B next year.

But plans change, and no way do they let that option vest off of this performance.

By playing Alonso every day, he couldn't be traded even if he had a good year because the acquiring team would be on the hook for the option.  The Sox may be willing to overpay him because their payroll is small anyway - but it would be a problem for a contender.   If the plans were to flip him, they would have played him sparingly so that an acquiring team would be able to use him during the last 2 months.    

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

My guess is that part of Hahn's case to JR for the "friends and family" approach is that they were still getting good players even if Machado didn't sign.  To that end, the hope was that Alonso would have a good year and that they would play him enough so that his option would vest.  He could be used next year as a bridge between Abreu (whom I don't think they wanted to extend; otherwise, he would be extended) and Collins or whomever.  That way they wouldn't have to worry about trading for or signing a 1B next year.

But plans change, and no way do they let that option vest off of this performance.

By playing Alonso every day, he couldn't be traded even if he had a good year because the acquiring team would be on the hook for the option.  The Sox may be willing to overpay him because their payroll is small anyway - but it would be a problem for a contender.   If the plans were to flip him, they would have played him sparingly so that an acquiring team would be able to use him during the last 2 months.    

You have probably put more thought into the Alonso situation than the front office has. Hahn and KW seem to be just making stuff up as they go along and flying by the seat of their pants. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I think you have nailed it.  "The best laid plan of mice and men often go awry." Steinbeck

11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I think you have nailed it.  "The best laid plan of mice and men often go awry." Steinbeck

Except for the fact that Alonso and Jay aren’t good players.  Not even close.

So if Hahn didn’t get any sort of confirmation from Machado and/or his agent that he would sign in Chicago if Hahn signed his brother-in-law and best friend, it was a very stupid waste of $13 million.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

13 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

So if Hahn didn’t get any sort of confirmation from Machado and/or his agent that he would sign in Chicago if Hahn signed his brother-in-law and best friend, it was a very stupid waste of $13 million.

I still can't figure out what happened with Jay. How do you sign a guy in December and then just have them not be ready in February, March, April, or May, without someone saying "oops he got hurt doing this"? 

25 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I still can't figure out what happened with Jay. How do you sign a guy in December and then just have them not be ready in February, March, April, or May, without someone saying "oops he got hurt doing this"? 

The whole friends and family plan was so half baked and out of touch with the reality of professional baseball. The whole idea never should have left the napkin it was likely scribbled out on. 

I think Jay did something during the Machado negotiations that royally pissed the front office off. The Sox will just hide him in Charlotte until they can dump him or the season ends. The dude owes Manny a monthly steak dinner for the rest of his life. 

I think you and Balta could be onto something.  Didn’t the friends and family recruitment backfire after Machado signed in San Diego and a story came out that both Jay and Alonso praised their time in San Diego and told Machado about how good of an organization they were to play for?

EDIT:  Yep, here’s the story...

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/white-soxs-attempts-to-recruit-machado-may-have-backfired-as-alonso-jay-spoke-highly-of-san-diego/

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I think you and Balta could be onto something.  Didn’t the friends and family recruitment backfire after Machado signed in San Diego when a story came out that both Jay and Alonso praised their time in San Diego and how good of an organization they were to play for?

Yep. The whole Jay situation is very strange. Dude has been an invisible man all year pretty much. The Sox just want everyone to forget he even exists. 

In my opinion, JR sabotaged the entire Machado negotiations on purpose. The Sox just sat on their lowball offer and waited and waited for another team to outbid them.