What options does Renteria have with Yonder Alonso?

TBrown54

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

To be fair...I don't think any of us saw Alonso stinking up the place to this level.

But that doesn’t change the decision right now to simply move on from him.  As has been repeated multiple teams, the dude is a sunk cost and we have better options available that warrant those at-bats.  The chance of him getting hot enough for someone to take on his salary is slim to none.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But that doesn’t change the decision right now to simply move on from him.  As has been repeated multiple teams, the dude is a sunk cost and we have better options available that warrant those at-bats.  The chance of him getting hot enough for someone to take on his salary is slim to none.

I think it was a situation that they felt...surely he will start hitting soon.  Now he has become Dunn like.  I would sit him for a few days using him for occasional pitch hitting duty.  When you want to free up the roster spot is when you release him.  I agree that he is lost money at this point.  Maybe we should try and trade him to the Padres.  They might pay us to keep their star happy.

45 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I think it was a situation that they felt...surely he will start hitting soon.  Now he has become Dunn like.  I would sit him for a few days using him for occasional pitch hitting duty.  When you want to free up the roster spot is when you release him.  I agree that he is lost money at this point.  Maybe we should try and trade him to the Padres.  They might pay us to keep their star happy.

Poor Alonso won't adjust so when he hits the ball it's into the shift. Too bad it appears to be against baseball's unwritten rules to just bunt the ball every time and get hit after hit against the shift. The shift should actually be against baseball's unwritten rules since players refuse to attempt to beat the shift.

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Poor Alonso won't adjust so when he hits the ball it's into the shift. Too bad it appears to be against baseball's unwritten rules to just bunt the ball every time and get hit after hit against the shift. The shift should actually be against baseball's unwritten rules since players refuse to attempt to beat the shift.

The unwritten rules are dumb and Alonso is bad regardless of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

If you were playing golf and kept hooking it into the woods...most of us would try to adjust.  Not Alonso.  Just keep doing the same things over and over again.  Nuts!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The unwritten rules are dumb and Alonso is bad regardless of them.

I don't see what is dumb making teams pay dearly for the shift. Do it enough times and they'll have to stop or always concede you a infield base hit which would REALLY be dumb.

I think the whole shift thing is sickening. Just think if you were on a high school baseball team on down. You come to the plate as a lefthanded hitter. 3 infielders are on the right side and one lone soul near shortstop. Simple physics tells you if you plop it down no way the pitcher or one infielder can get you out. So guess what??? You bunt there EVERY TIME and get a hit every time. If I were the manager I'd bench any kid who didn't bunt that way. Ditto major leagues. DO IT!!! Just bunt.

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

I think the whole shift thing is sickening. Just think if you were on a high school baseball team on down. You come to the plate as a lefthanded hitter. 3 infielders are on the right side and one lone soul near shortstop. Simple physics tells you if you plop it down no way the pitcher or one infielder can get you out. So guess what??? You bunt there EVERY TIME and get a hit every time. If I were the manager I'd bench any kid who didn't bunt that way. Ditto major leagues. DO IT!!! Just bunt.

In one of the minor leagues later this year that is one of the experimental rules as I recall...banning shifts.

Baseball was invented in 1839.  Lasted almost 2 centuries with few changes.  Yeah...I know about the DH in AL and Playoff team expansion and increasing the schedule from 154 to 162.  Now these guys who always know better will move the mound...tell fielders where to stand...and insist that relief pitchers pitch an entire inning.  Stupid.

5 hours ago, poppysox said:

Baseball was invented in 1839.  Lasted almost 2 centuries with few changes.  Yeah...I know about the DH in AL and Playoff team expansion and increasing the schedule from 154 to 162.  Now these guys who always know better will move the mound...tell fielders where to stand...and insist that relief pitchers pitch an entire inning.  Stupid.

The mound was lowered 5 inches in 1968. It was an extraordinarily significant change.

7 hours ago, poppysox said:

Good post. You could leave the game completely alone or tinker. There are two big proposed changes meant to combat Sabes a bit, the elimination of the shift and making relievers face more than one hitter. I agree with you that the purist doesn't want to touch the game, but something has to be done. A movie is 1:50 or 2 hours normally, maybe 2:10 if it's got a director who can't cut much stuff. Nine inning baseball games shouldn't be going 3:15. It's fun to stay for the whole game but 3 hours is dumb.  I guess I could take it if they don't change the reliever rule or the shift rule if the umps would call the strikezone which is in the rulebook. Umps won't abide by the current rules, they created their own strikezone. If umps agreed to calling the correct strikezone and we had a rule hitters could not leave the batters box once they got in, I'd be OK leaving the shift and letting relievers face just one hitter.

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

The mound was lowered 5 inches in 1968. It was an extraordinarily significant change.

Significant doesn't necessarily mean better.  Baseball has withstood the test of time.  When you change the game every record seems to need an asterisk.