Jake Burger Thread

ChiSox59

8 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It was a reach pick but I don't really remember who else was available.  I just remember watching his scouting tape at 3rd and thinking this dude is nothing but a 1B/LF type at best.  The comp was Schwarber, which didn't excite me.  Anyways, it might have been Burger who convinced the Sox to change their draft strategy and go for more variance and upside.  Too often the "safe" pick in the draft isn't really that safe it turns out.  

Okay, so here's who was available.  I bolded some people who are pretty good prospects/impact players in the majors.  Nate Pearson is the standout, but he was a fast-rising reliever who was seen as a reach where Toronto took him. He was being mocked a lot to the Cubs.

12. Pittsburgh Pirates:  RHP Shane Baz, 

13. Miami Marlins:  LHP Trevor Rogers, 

14. Kansas City Royals:  1B Nick Pratto, 
15. Houston Astros:  RHP J.B. Bukauskas, 
16. New York Yankees:  RHP Clarke Schmidt, 
17. Seattle Mariners: 1B Evan White, 
18. Detroit Tigers:  RHP Alex Faedo, 
19. San Francisco Giants:  OF Heliot Ramos, 
20. New York Mets: LHP David Peterson, 
21. Baltimore Orioles:  LHP D.L. Hall, 
22. Toronto Blue Jays:  SS Logan Warmoth, 
23. Los Angeles Dodgers:   OF Jeren Kendall, 
24. Boston Red Sox:  RHP Tanner Houck, 
25. Washington Nationals:  LHP Seth Romero, 
26. Texas Rangers:  OF Bubba Thompson, 
27. Chicago Cubs:  LHP Brendon Little, 
28. Toronto Blue Jays  RHP Nate Pearson, 
29. Texas Rangers SS Christopher Seise, 
30. Chicago Cubs RHP Alex Lange, 
31. Tampa Bay Rays: RHP Drew Rasmussen, 
32. Cincinnati Reds: SS Jeter Downs, 
33. Oakland Athletics:  SS Kevin Merrell, 
34. Milwaukee Brewers: OF Tristen Lutz, 
35. Minnesota Twins: OF Brent Rooker, 
36. Miami Marlins:  OF Brian Miller, 
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I recall Burger being picked because of his advanced stats, not because he was safe.

This...  He was rated highly as a prospect. This wasn’t some random reach pick. He might’ve been a slight reach according to a few pundits. If we hadn’t taken him he would’ve been picked soon after.

• 2 weeks later...

When did he decide to go to Schaumberg instead of just play in that six-team league? If he is in Schaumberg that means the White Sox still have some hope for him. If that other league was so great they'd have a lot of current MILB players in it. When was the change of heart to put him in Schaumberg?

On 9/12/2020 at 2:02 PM, greg775 said:

When did he decide to go to Schaumberg instead of just play in that six-team league? If he is in Schaumberg that means the White Sox still have some hope for him. If that other league was so great they'd have a lot of current MILB players in it. When was the change of heart to put him in Schaumberg?

He did play in it.

On 9/12/2020 at 9:02 PM, greg775 said:

Well he did play in that league because he was not invited to camp. Obviously he would have preferred schaumburg right away and face top pitching prospects over facing guys throwing 87 in that league but that league was still better than just hitting in a cage and lift weights.

I think him playing in that league showed the sox he is very motivated and maybe they even scouted him there and liked what they saw.

Edited by Dominikk85

On 9/12/2020 at 2:02 PM, greg775 said:

Burger joined the Schaumburg squad after the season ended in the collegiate league he was playing in. The Sox wanted him to keep getting reps, so that's why he was added after finally getting some game reps in. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 3:21 PM, SouthWallace said:

I think that you have to cheer for a kid like Burger to make it. Its not his fault he got hurt bad right at the start of his career. I hate when people call these kind of kids, "BUSTS". I fee the same way about Mercedes. Never appeared on anyone's radar, almost shoved out of baseball and all the guy kept doing was mashing the ball. Someone needs to give this guy a chance somewhere. He's hit everywhere they put him and I hope he is on the roster in 2021.

33 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

I think that you have to cheer for a kid like Burger to make it. Its not his fault he got hurt bad right at the start of his career. I hate when people call these kind of kids, "BUSTS". I fee the same way about Mercedes. Never appeared on anyone's radar, almost shoved out of baseball and all the guy kept doing was mashing the ball. Someone needs to give this guy a chance somewhere. He's hit everywhere they put him and I hope he is on the roster in 2021.

A LOT of teams have had chances at Yermin and yet he is still here.

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I want Burger to succeed as much as the next guy, but realistically, where would he even play for the Sox? DH in a few years assuming Eloy stays in LF? I just don’t see much of a path for him at this point given the way this team is constructed.

Get him a 1B mit, get him an OF mit. Let him play all over next year in the minors.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I don’t know if he has enough mobility to play the OF given the injuries he’s had. And obviously 1B is taken by Abreu now and by Vaughn in the future. 

It doesn't matter. You play him in all around in the minors to see where he can stick. At the very least, maybe he becomes a trade chip.