Jake Burger Thread

ChiSox59

Reading more about this league and what he's doing, it actually sounds like a great opportunity for him to get his reps and stay in the game.

"

Burger was focusing on his training before his father, Mike, became an assistant coach in the league. That's when Burger contacted the White Sox to see if it would be OK if he played.

''They were pretty positive about it,'' Jake Burger said. ''They were like, yeah man, we've got to get at-bats. They wanted to check in on me first, get a couple days where they could get their eyes on me. That went well so they were like, yeah, let's do it.''

Burger said Chase Krogman, a 19-year-old outfielder who was selected by Chicago in the 34th round of last year's draft, also plays in the six-team CarShield league. The games last seven innings, and Burger is hoping to play in his first one Friday night."

https://sports.yahoo.com/white-sox-prospect-burger-play-local-st-louis-213143596--mlb.html

12 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Reading more about this league and what he's doing, it actually sounds like a great opportunity for him to get his reps and stay in the game.

"

Burger was focusing on his training before his father, Mike, became an assistant coach in the league. That's when Burger contacted the White Sox to see if it would be OK if he played.

''They were pretty positive about it,'' Jake Burger said. ''They were like, yeah man, we've got to get at-bats. They wanted to check in on me first, get a couple days where they could get their eyes on me. That went well so they were like, yeah, let's do it.''

Burger said Chase Krogman, a 19-year-old outfielder who was selected by Chicago in the 34th round of last year's draft, also plays in the six-team CarShield league. The games last seven innings, and Burger is hoping to play in his first one Friday night."

https://sports.yahoo.com/white-sox-prospect-burger-play-local-st-louis-213143596--mlb.html

Great to see him take the initiative to contact the Sox about playing.

23 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Vinnie Duber on the SCORE this morning said that the White Sox were pretty happy with what they saw and feel live action is what he needs right now. 

I think he is doing this over the taxi squad which seems like better fit.  This isn't a men's beer league.

Sure.  It allows them to keep him playing, without having to reserve a roster spot for him.

On 6/23/2019 at 5:37 PM, credezcrew24 said:

If anyone wants to get hyped for Burger's return you can watch him almost rupture his achilles twice on two routine practice ground balls in 30 seconds of video. He's a special player

Are the Sox scouts serious? How? Why?

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Are the Sox scouts serious? How? Why?

Did you just bump a post from over a year ago...to b**** about a pick the Sox made over three years ago? You truly are a remarkable troll.

Clearly, he could play some defense.

There was another big one over the weekend, when Burger was named the top defensive third baseman in the country, selected for the ABCA/Rawlings NCAA Division I Gold Glove Team.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2016/06/20/msu-notebook-burger-claims-gold-glove-honor/86145576/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Quin said:

Did you just bump a post from over a year ago...to b**** about a pick the Sox made over three years ago? You truly are a remarkable troll.

Clearly, he could play some defense.

I didn't bump any post for gawd sakes. It was sitting there and I responded to it. It wasn't my bump that put it there. Geez. Not demanding it but u should apologize. Not fair to accuse and let it go.

Edited by greg775
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I'm not trying to rip anybody, but can you imagine being the scout who pushed for the Jake Burger pick? I know ... u can never tell about injuries but this is a results business. Odom vs. Durant got a few peeps fired.

Don't think the scout worries about it at all. You can't predict injuries, they suck but they are part of the game.

Sure you could say his body type was a risk but then again super fit players get hurt and bartolo pitched until he was 50.

I think a pure performance bust is worse for a scout.

Also baseball is not basketball, top10 overall picks bust all the time, even the supposed smartest front office in baseball (luhnow astros) busted a first overall pick.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 11:38 AM, greg775 said:

I'm not trying to rip anybody, but can you imagine being the scout who pushed for the Jake Burger pick? I know ... u can never tell about injuries but this is a results business. Odom vs. Durant got a few peeps fired.

For everyone complaining about the Burger pick, who should they have taken?  They had the 11th pick in a 10 player draft. After the Angels grabbed Jo Adell, who I believe the Sox were on, they were left picking through the leftovers. Probably the best guys were... Evan White? D.L. Hall? Jeter Downs?  There is no Mike Trout they passed on here. Sucks they killed their draft position in 2016, that the draft fell the way it did, and that Burger got hurt, but of every player development blunder the Sox have ever made, this is pretty low on the list.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Timmy U said:

For everyone complaining about the Burger pick, who should they have taken?  They had the 11th pick in a 10 player draft. After the Angels grabbed Jo Adell, who I believe the Sox were on, they were left picking through the leftovers. Probably the best guys were... Evan White? D.L. Hall? Jeter Downs?  There is no Mike Trout they passed on here. Sucks they killed their draft position in 2016, that the draft fell the way it did, and that Burger got hurt, but of every player development blunder the Sox have ever made, this is pretty low on the list.

I'm just not a big draft guy. Remember we'd get in fights on here when people were celebrating Sox losses in August and September so we'd get a better draft pick and that would drive me crazy. So that year when Sox drafted Burger, I was totally against it and kind of bashed him and the whole waiting for the draft with baited breath process.  I got in trouble for calling some Sox fans draftniks but it is what it is. 

Edited by greg775

Definitely unfortunate and you wouldn't make that pick again but burger has raked in college and his bat would have projected at first too.

He wasn't vaughn or torkelson but he averaged a 1000+ ops in college which was better than the first basemen white and smith who were drafted ahead of him.

I was always sceptical that he could play third but I thought as a first baseman with an outside shot to play third he was an ok pick. He was really a rather low risk pick, nobody can predict an Achilles tear, that is not a very common injury in baseball (maybe like 1 in 50 guys or so get it during their career?)

Edited by Dominikk85

It was a reach pick but I don't really remember who else was available.  I just remember watching his scouting tape at 3rd and thinking this dude is nothing but a 1B/LF type at best.  The comp was Schwarber, which didn't excite me.  Anyways, it might have been Burger who convinced the Sox to change their draft strategy and go for more variance and upside.  Too often the "safe" pick in the draft isn't really that safe it turns out.  

54 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It was a reach pick but I don't really remember who else was available.  I just remember watching his scouting tape at 3rd and thinking this dude is nothing but a 1B/LF type at best.  The comp was Schwarber, which didn't excite me.  Anyways, it might have been Burger who convinced the Sox to change their draft strategy and go for more variance and upside.  Too often the "safe" pick in the draft isn't really that safe it turns out.  

As I recall from the draft analysis, the Sox said that one of the primary reasons for the pick was the consistent, very high exit velocity. Of all of the players left after the top 10 he had a very high profile quality that the others did not. This was some of the Schwarber comparison.