Jake Burger Thread

ChiSox59

5 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Not only does he have an arm bar but his hands are very low.  Hopefully he can make it work.  

Arm bar is usually caused by hands being lower and its pretty much a myth as a horrible thing anyway. Look at Ken Griffey Jr. He had what many would call an arm bar. You keep that arm  at the angle a lot of youth coaches who haven't a clue about hitting want it, and players would hit with so little power there would be a call to juice the ball. The one thing this does is hits. No need to show him Tom Emansky videos.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Arm bar is usually caused by hands being lower and its pretty much a myth as a horrible thing anyway. Look at Ken Griffey Jr. He had what many would call an arm bar. You keep that arm  at the angle a lot of youth coaches who haven't a clue about hitting want it, and players would hit with so little power there would be a call to juice the ball. The one thing this does is hits. No need to show him Tom Emansky videos.

An arm bar is absolutely not a myth just ask Courtney Hawkins.  Sure there are a few guys who made it work but an arm bar is a red flag for organizations and something that definitely needs to be noted.  

That 2017 draft really sucked. Just absolute garbage from sox pick on. The best play was Nate Pearson, 20 spots later. Baz probably would be better, but dude is still in A ball with no year last year. Evan White made the majors. His defense is still interesting, but man, I don't see him hitting enough to justify it.

Just an absolutely garbage class, which you can tell with how many of them were not picked up on the 40 man and are rule 5 eligible.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

That 2017 draft really sucked. Just absolute garbage from sox pick on. The best play was Nate Pearson, 20 spots later. Baz probably would be better, but dude is still in A ball with no year last year. Evan White made the majors. His defense is still interesting, but man, I don't see him hitting enough to justify it.

Just an absolutely garbage class, which you can tell with how many of them were not picked up on the 40 man and are rule 5 eligible.

It's been 3 years, one of which was a COVID season

Yes, one was a Covid season, still a lot of guys that weren't protected. It's interesting to see. 

Burger is a throw away, which is whatever. Maybe he does something. Upside to me is Dan Voglebach -- which is to say he may have half a good season possibly at his peak. EVerybody loves a good comeback story and I'll cheer for him, but my expectations are below zero at this point. mIght as well keep him for a full season in the minors and see what he does, but i think the overwhelming outcome is that he never suits up for the white sox. 

Just now, BrianAnderson said:

Yes, one was a Covid season, still a lot of guys that weren't protected. It's interesting to see. 

Burger is a throw away, which is whatever. Maybe he does something. Upside to me is Dan Voglebach -- which is to say he may have half a good season possibly at his peak. EVerybody loves a good comeback story and I'll cheer for him, but my expectations are below zero at this point. mIght as well keep him for a full season in the minors and see what he does, but i think the overwhelming outcome is that he never suits up for the white sox. 

His floor is Seabiscuit, ceiling is Robert Downey Jr. or Kim Kardashian.

What I find interesting is people saying things like Dan Voglebach is Jake Burgers ceiling judging by his season an A Ball and 2 missed seasons. I don't know how you get that assessment. 

Just like when people say Vaughn is ready. Like what makes you come up with that conclusion?  Did you go to the Sox facility and watch him the past year? 

Seems like just spitballing your own vision without any sort of proof and statistics to backup this conclusion. 

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Off to a great start for Charlotte.

Seeing the starts that both Vaughn and Burger are off to this year really dispels the idea that the Schaumburg camp was just a glorified batting practice session.  These guys both made huge leaps and are holding their own so far at the higher levels.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 11/21/2020 at 3:59 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

An arm bar is absolutely not a myth just ask Courtney Hawkins.  Sure there are a few guys who made it work but an arm bar is a red flag for organizations and something that definitely needs to be noted.  

Robin Ventura hit with a barred arm

• 1 month later...