Jake Burger Thread

ChiSox59

Yeah, once Jo Adell went 10 who else were the Sox even in on?

Nick Pratto: .170/.269/.238 at A+
J.B. Bukauskas: 5.97 ERA, 69 K, 39 BB in 57.1 IP at AA
Evan White: .298/.361/.480 at AA
Alex Faedo: 3.41 ERA, 86 K, 12 BB in 71.1 IP at AA
Jeren Kendall: .202/.310/.442 at A+

It's easy to go back and criticize the bad body likely first basemen, but it's not like any of these other guys are killing it in the minors other than maybe Faedo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

I could be wrong, and I'm not saying it is a wasted pick or anything, but I seem to remember that Burger was more regularly projected to be picked around 20 or so, and was a bit of a surprise when the Sox took him 12th.  I could be wrong about that though...

Ok maybe 15 was too high. But he was def in the top 20 and the best bat still available at our pick.

40 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Yeah, once Jo Adell went 10 who else were the Sox even in on?

Nick Pratto: .170/.269/.238 at A+
J.B. Bukauskas: 5.97 ERA, 69 K, 39 BB in 57.1 IP at AA
Evan White: .298/.361/.480 at AA
Alex Faedo: 3.41 ERA, 86 K, 12 BB in 71.1 IP at AA
Jeren Kendall: .202/.310/.442 at A+

It's easy to go back and criticize the bad body likely first basemen, but it's not like any of these other guys are killing it in the minors other than maybe Faedo.

Yeah 2017 was garbage.

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I disagree completely. I think he was going to stick at 3B without the injury. 

I agree with you. I think I remember hearing he won a gold glove in college. It sounds like it never looked pretty but it always got the job done. We will see what he can do after the injury.

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I disagree completely. I think he was going to stick at 3B without the injury. 

Burger was a non-athlete before the injuries.  Sure they could stick him at 3B the same way they stick Collins at catcher but he would always be a well below league average boarderline atrocious everyday 3B.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, yesterday333 said:

You realize everybody had him as a top 15 prospect at the time of the draft right? Everybody said he doesn't look pretty but gets the job done at 3b. It wasn't just Hostetler who liked him. He was also the top bat at our pick. Gotta love the revisionist history here.

But there was also a huge question about the t-bar batting style and if it would translate well at the next level...especially keeping in mind the pitching in that conference wasn’t exactly SEC-caliber.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But there was also a huge question about the t-bar batting style and if it would translate well at the next level...especially keeping in mind the pitching in that conference wasn’t exactly SEC-caliber.

All I am trying to say was that this wasn't some out of nowhere pick that we should've known better. It was also pretty clear after the draft that we were disappointed with how the draft fell. it seems like he was considered clearly a step below all the guys in front of him.

1 minute ago, yesterday333 said:

All I am trying to say was that this wasn't some out of nowhere pick that we should've known better. It was also pretty clear after the draft that we were disappointed with how the draft fell. it seems like he was considered clearly a step below all the guys in front of him.

The other problem is we skipped over the trend of multi-dimensional players that could play up the middle on the infield...CF....obviously the corners and 3B/1B as well.

Vaughn is pretty much the same issue...where he has to hit a ton to justify the move, like Eloy.

On a more positive note, they currently have four dynamic players that fit that bill if you include Robert and Madrigal.  Comparing his more immediate impact to that of CJ Abrams 3-5 years down the line will be fascinating to follow.

The main issue I have with the 2017 draft is that they took Burger and Sheets back-to-back. Looking through the rest of the draft it's not like it's loaded with top prospects, but I guess I am a little disappointed they missed on Daulton Varsho, who is the son of an MLB player pretty close to home. They could have seen him play 5 games at UIC alone. That's extremely hindsight is 20/20 though lol, I had no idea he even existed at the time of the draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

So what is the word on this guy? If he ever returns to professional baseball he should only play as a DH. Putting this guy out in the field with his duct taped acl is a recipe for disaster. 

it's his achilles and he's now ruptured it twice.  It's worse than an ACL, way worse.  

his heel problem is without a single doubt in my mind related to the achilles.  when the body has to recover from an injury that bad it tends to get out of whack and put pressure on other areas that before were fine.  he will continue to have a series of injuries coming back, even if his achilles holds up.

that scouting video of him at 3B was widely viewed when he was drafted and was discussed largely at that time.  the Sox were obviously drafting for need which was stupid.  Burger was a reach.  A reach to say at 3B and a reach at #7.

as I said the day he re-tore I doubt he ever plays a single MLB game.  In fact I doubt he even gets above AA.  I bet in 5 years he's out of baseball.

Jake's twitter is the opposite of Kopech's.  Not much about working hard or inspirational quotes or focusing on baseball.  That's fine, but as a fan I wonder if a guy that got a 3.5 million dollar bonus and has endured two years worth of rehab  has lost the fire.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

it's his achilles and he's now ruptured it twice.  It's worse than an ACL, way worse.  

his heel problem is without a single doubt in my mind related to the achilles.  when the body has to recover from an injury that bad it tends to get out of whack and put pressure on other areas that before were fine.  he will continue to have a series of injuries coming back, even if his achilles holds up.

that scouting video of him at 3B was widely viewed when he was drafted and was discussed largely at that time.  the Sox were obviously drafting for need which was stupid.  Burger was a reach.  A reach to say at 3B and a reach at #7.

as I said the day he re-tore I doubt he ever plays a single MLB game.  In fact I doubt he even gets above AA.  I bet in 5 years he's out of baseball.

My bad. Achilles not his acl. 

Good points all around. The Sox pretty much used a top 15 pick on a guy who was destined to become a DH.

The question is now does the kid even play this year? 

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I would disagree with the certainty of this.

1. While it's possible that heel is related to the achilles, typically it's the opposite problem. a tight achilles puts less pressure on the heel as the heel can't touch the ground. These people tend to have arch issues as they become more toe walkers.

2. most people who have achilles tendon repairs have no other related issues has there aren't tissues taken from other parts of the body unlike the ACL where you need to take a graft from somewhere else.

• Like 1

Just now, ptatc said:

I would disagree with the certainty of this.

1. While it's possible that heel is related to the achilles, typically it's the opposite problem. a tight achilles puts less pressure on the heel as the heel can't touch the ground. These people tend to have arch issues as they become more toe walkers.

2. most people who have achilles tendon repairs have no other related issues has there aren't tissues taken from other parts of the body unlike the ACL where you need to take a graft from somewhere else.

Your expertise is noted, but I'd think that medically Burger is in uncharted waters.  Not many guys have torn their achilles twice before age 24.  While I don't really believe in a lot of the "bad body" stuff around baseball (especially for a slugger) it's obvious in hindsight he was putting too much pressure on his body playing at that weight.  And a lot of it was good weight, lean muscle.  But his body couldn't handle it.   

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Your expertise is noted, but I'd think that medically Burger is in uncharted waters.  Not many guys have torn their achilles twice before age 24.  While I don't really believe in a lot of the "bad body" stuff around baseball (especially for a slugger) it's obvious in hindsight he was putting too much pressure on his body playing at that weight.  And a lot of it was good weight, lean muscle.  But his body couldn't handle it.   

no doubt. I'm just that's what typically happens mechanically.

The tear is most likely not a result of body weight. Especially the second "misstep" one. It's more about the amount of muscle force when the tendon is in that position. It usually happens during the eccentric muscle contraction like landing from a jump. It's much more likely that is was too tight and wasn't in a good position to handle the force than the body weight, although it could be a factor. If the "bad body" is an issue, it would be the tightness.

9 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Does burger have a current medical problem other than the twice torn Achilles tendon from 13-15 months ago?

The latest was in early June when it was reported he wasn't playing yet due to heel pain.