Jake Burger Thread

ChiSox59

On 6/29/2019 at 11:30 PM, Jack Parkman said:

This is Jared Mitchell part deux. A promising player whose career is derailed by injury before it could even get started. How many teams have had something like this happen to two position players in a decade? 

Ummmm.....every team? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

He might still end up an MLB player, but it won't be with the Sox and losing 2 years of development immediately out of college puts the odds against him ever getting there. He's going to be 24 years old during his first full MiLB season. 

Lotta conclusions here.  Curious why the lost 2 years and age matter at all?

8 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Lotta conclusions here.  Curious why the lost 2 years and age matter at all?

You lose control of the player faster. Maybe he ages through most of his productive years before ever having a chance. Is he going to be in a position to 40-man when that time comes?

He should realistically be approaching the majors next year, and instead will just be getting started. 

Edited by mqr

8 minutes ago, mqr said:

You lose control of the player faster. Maybe he ages through most of his productive years before ever having a chance. Is he going to be in a position to 40-man when that time comes?

He should realistically be approaching the majors next year, and instead will just be getting started. 

Thanks. 

29 minutes ago, mqr said:

My thoughts are that his high pedigree allows us all to chill out.  Now if he misses next year too then officially start the worry clock.  

3 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

My thoughts are that his high pedigree allows us all to chill out.  Now if he misses next year too then officially start the worry clock.  

It's not curtains for the guy, but he has to go nuclear next year to give himself a chance. It's also now very unlikely he can stick at 3rd. 

I'd put his chances of making the bigs low, and his chances of ever playing a game for the white sox even lower.

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, BamaDoc said:

Is there an exemption in the rules for Rule 5 exposure for guys with severe/long injuries?  I think I remember that somewhere.  Would help with Dunning and Burger and Adolpho perhaps.

Adolfo is already on the 40-man, but his injuries have allowed him an extra option year. Idk how the other two would work. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ummmm.....every team? 

List the 1st round position players that had a career altering injury before their first full season in pro ball on every team. Underperforming is an entirely different scenario. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

List the 1st round position players that had a career altering injury before their first full season in pro ball on every team. Underperforming is an entirely different scenario. 

This kind of thing is nearly as devastating in a pure baseball sense as Taveras, Ventura and Fernandez being killed in accidents. 

Lol - these dudes are dead!!!! Jake Burger toe his fucking Achilles.  Get a grip, dude.  

• Haha 6

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I honestly clicked this thread expecting to see that he has retired. Obviously hope it doesn't happen, but he's been away from the sport for 2 years now.

Always has E-Sports

In all seriousness, I met Jake and watched him play, seems like a great guy and really hope he is doing well and ready to play ball

The silver lining in this whole thing is that if he does get healthy he still has two years in the minors and then slides in as a cheap option.

I look at him as an additional first round pick in 2020.

Sucks for him and he will be older if he makes it but that is all we can hope for.  He was an advanced bat when they drafted him so hopefully he is a quick mover.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/26/2019 at 1:51 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Merkins says .. but if all goes as planned, Jake Burger should be ready when Spring Training 2020 begins.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/inbox-white-sox-2020-season-plans

But why didn't he come back this year? Prognosis was he comes back this summer. If he didn't heal in several months what do we expect to happen over the winter? He basically had rest for over a year now so is another 6 months changing everything?

On 9/27/2019 at 7:56 AM, Dominikk85 said:

But why didn't he come back this year? Prognosis was he comes back this summer. If he didn't heal in several months what do we expect to happen over the winter? He basically had rest for over a year now so is another 6 months changing everything?

Read the thread from early June through July 1st.

• 2 months later...

Was checking in on Jake. Did not see any instructional league work due to continuing sore heel. Has missed two years of baseball. I doubt they have any plan at this point. If he misses ST they might as well send him home. 

1 hour ago, pcq said:

Was checking in on Jake. Did not see any instructional league work due to continuing sore heel. Has missed two years of baseball. I doubt they have any plan at this point. If he misses ST they might as well send him home. 

Rumor has it he's with the Articles of Impeachment

In all seriousness, I hope Jake is doing well and ready to rock and roll, good guy with a once promising future

2 hours ago, pcq said:

Well it costs nothing to keep him in the minors (except a few thousand bucks per year) so I doubt they just release him.

But if he doesn't get healthy at all this year his career might be over.