Jake Burger Thread

ChiSox59

On 6/24/2019 at 8:15 AM, yesterday333 said:

You realize everybody had him as a top 15 prospect at the time of the draft right? 

He was not universal top 15 and I don't think anyone had him at 11;  where the Sox drafted him, he was a reach.
And the prior year, while (the now promoted) Hostetler drafts Collins and Burdi, the Dodgers, drafting much later, nab Lux and Will Smith. 
At some point, there needs to be accountability.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

He was not universal top 15 and I don't think anyone had him at 11;  where the Sox drafted him, he was a reach.
And the prior year, while (the now promoted) Hostetler drafts Collins and Burdi, the Dodgers, drafting much later, nab Lux and Will Smith. 

Burger was considered one of the best hitters of the draft, he hit .328/.443/

648 with 22 homers his last year. The injuries were totally not foreseeable, and he was expected to be a quick moving high floor guy.

The knock against him was that many didn't see him staying at third long with his body type.

Regarding lux he wouldn't be what he is with the sox. The dodgers have a top player development and totally revamped his swing to improve his power.

Not saying the sox would have ruined him but he probably would be more a decent hitter with like 10 HR power than a guy who projects for 20+ bombs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Yeah, I seem to remember him being mocked mostly in the 18-20 range, something like that.  The Sox were heavily linked to Lux with their 2nd pick, but obviously he went prior to that.

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

White Sox have done about as well in the draft as the majority of MLB teams; comparing them to the Dodgers - who have been better than everyone - is an odd way to reference them being bad at drafting.

29 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Callis final mock had Burger going 10 to the Angels while Mayo had him going 15 to the Astros.  Callis had the Sox taking Evan White (that's who I wanted) and Mayo had them taking JB Bukauskas.  

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-draft-for-first-round-of-2017-mlb-draft-c235886620

Looks like 15 and 24 for Mayo and Callis respectively.  

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2017-mlb-mock-draft-45/#rltODBsyPfuS6ep5.97

These are both draft day mocks.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

White Sox have done about as well in the draft as the majority of MLB teams; comparing them to the Dodgers - who have been better than everyone - is an odd way to reference them being bad at drafting.

Is this true?  I wonder.  It certainly could be my bias but I feel like they have done worse.  Especially considering how highly they have been selecting.  But maybe you're right.  For Mitchell and Hawkins being complete busts, there is Sale and Anderson being complete home runs.  It is too early to tell, but I guess a lot rests on the fates of Madrigal and Vaughn. 

I;d guess you are more or less right.  It is just easier to remember all the busts.  

4 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Is this true?  I wonder.  It certainly could be my bias but I feel like they have done worse.  Especially considering how highly they have been selecting.  But maybe you're right.  For Mitchell and Hawkins being complete busts, there is Sale and Anderson being complete home runs.  It is too early to tell, but I guess a lot rests on the fates of Madrigal and Vaughn. 

I;d guess you are more or less right.  It is just easier to remember all the busts.  

Sox have generated more WAR from their drafts dating back 10 years than more than 1/2 the league. I need to back and find the research, and while much of that is tied to Chris Sale (and now Anderson), that doesn't mean it doesn't count because finding Chris Sale is really valuable. The Sox haven't had as many pieces as some teams, but they've generated more WAR than the league average from their drafts.

Baseball is tough to evaluate because:

1. It takes a lot of time. 

2. It's much more of a crapshoot than other sports, so you shouldn't expect an impact guy every year.

3. As a fan, we are much closer to our failures than we are to other teams failures. 

Also, the Sox didn't really get elite high level draft picks for decades due to them winning enough to not be the worst - until the last few years.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sox have generated more WAR from their drafts dating back 10 years than more than 1/2 the league. I need to back and find the research, and while much of that is tied to Chris Sale (and now Anderson), that doesn't mean it doesn't count because finding Chris Sale is really valuable. The Sox haven't had as many pieces as some teams, but they've generated more WAR than the league average from their drafts.

Baseball is tough to evaluate because:

1. It takes a lot of time. 

2. It's much more of a crapshoot than other sports, so you shouldn't expect an impact guy every year.

3. As a fan, we are much closer to our failures than we are to other teams failures. 

Also, the Sox didn't really get elite high level draft picks for decades due to them winning enough to not be the worst - until the last few years.

You're forgetting Marcus Semien's numbers, which were huge the last 2-3 years with Oakland (especially 2019).

Not sure if that's counting Escobar, Devenski, Montas and Bassitt, probably just Dragon and Chris.

Edited by caulfield12

• 4 weeks later...

Update from Fegan's article today on The Athletic is that there is no update.

The last update for Jake Burger was that he was unable to get into instructional league games due to recurring discomfort in or related to his twice-torn left Achilles. The hope for the White Sox is that an offseason of rest will allow for some progress or change, but after a 2019 full of false starts and setbacks, it’s no surprise that he will be testing how his leg responds removed from the pressure of performing alongside the big leaguers.

• 1 month later...

Can't get full tweet to open.  Sounds like still trying to play and been dealing with personal stuff.  Wish him well.  Sometimes posters rip people and forget that there is a real person on the other side and it is their life, not just our entertainment, that is effected.  (Not pointing this at anyone, just an observation)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Thanks for posting.  It's a great story. It's great insight into injury recovery not being just physical. Although this is an extremely interesting story from a  physical perspective as well. I can honestly say that in 30 years of working with athletes, I have never seen this unique scenario.

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

This guy really can't catch a break, in that he seemed to finally be healthy and now the season is gone. 

Welp, if anyone is used to time off - it’s him... I suppose.