Jake Burger Thread

ChiSox59

• 3 weeks later...

Burger had a 1100 ops in college hitting 330+ with lots of walks and 20+ Homers. He always was a long shot to stay at third but he was a very polished college hitter who would have profiled at first or DH too. 

He wasn't super fit in college of course but still you dont expect an early 20 year old to RIP his Achilles twice.

Fat players tend to get injured but not before their late 20s, that a player gets injured that early is rather unlikely.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Johno said:

Looking good, wish White Sox we’re inviting him to the up coming camp.    This kid can play.   

As roster settle out, it wouldn't shock me to see his name come up.  The kid needs reps worse than pretty much anyone in this organization.

• Haha 1

Maybe he can at least play in the expanded AFL this fall. IMO he should also be on the taxi squad. Even if he's overmatched at least hed be getting reps and could work thru it. The Sox need him to develop as much as possible before they showcase him in the AFL as trade bait. Obviously he has no future here at either his original spot or at 1B/DH so just try to avoid selling low by getting him to increase his value. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Johno said:

Just saw his hitting video on Twitter, he’s looking Really Good.  It would be very disappointing if Jake has to wait until next year to play.

I do think he would play in the expanded afl if he is healthy (and if that fall league can happen at all which we don't know yet).

The swing looks good and he was an advanced bat but still if that afl is not happening he can't really play because you can't just put him in the majors after all the time off with injury and never playing above A ball.

5 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I do think he would play in the expanded afl if he is healthy (and if that fall league can happen at all which we don't know yet).

The swing looks good and he was an advanced bat but still if that afl is not happening he can't really play because you can't just put him in the majors after all the time off with injury and never playing above A ball.

I think there will be a number of players on the taxi squad that they do not expect to play in the MLB. Thompson, Dalquist and Kelley, will all be there i bet. I think they will be there to continue development rather than expect to play at the MLB.

55 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think there will be a number of players on the taxi squad that they do not expect to play in the MLB. Thompson, Dalquist and Kelley, will all be there i bet. I think they will be there to continue development rather than expect to play at the MLB.

I don't expect Andrew Vaughn to see any MLB time this year either personally.

4 hours ago, ptatc said:

I guess they can do some kind of intrasquad games and live at bats against sox pitching prospects. 

Not real games of course but better than just hitting in the cage and playing catch all year.

29 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I guess they can do some kind of intrasquad games and live at bats against sox pitching prospects. 

Not real games of course but better than just hitting in the cage and playing catch all year.

I think that's the plan. At least they get time with coaches and some playing time.

With the way the 60 man squad is going to operate, you want to make sure you leave yourself some room to add and subtract players.  If you fill it up with lots of prospects who aren't going to be in the majors this year, it doesn't leave you any room to add guys who might not be on the 40 man roster or otherwise to the roster if injuries or COVID problems tear through a roster.  If you put a prospect on the 60, you can't just remove them.  You have to actually make a valid roster move to remove them, which exposes them to the rest of baseball.

39 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

With the way the 60 man squad is going to operate, you want to make sure you leave yourself some room to add and subtract players.  If you fill it up with lots of prospects who aren't going to be in the majors this year, it doesn't leave you any room to add guys who might not be on the 40 man roster or otherwise to the roster if injuries or COVID problems tear through a roster.  If you put a prospect on the 60, you can't just remove them.  You have to actually make a valid roster move to remove them, which exposes them to the rest of baseball.

They have plenty of room to have 10 or so prospects on there. If they need to use 50 players in 60 games, the season is lost.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

They have plenty of room to have 10 or so prospects on there. If they need to use 50 players in 60 games, the season is lost.

And I know they will start adding players soon as things like health start to get figured out.  But it is also worth pointing out that the Sox use a lot of players in a normal season, and there are real possibilities of outbreaks costing the team LOTS of players at the same time.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And I know they will start adding players soon as things like health start to get figured out.  But it is also worth pointing out that the Sox use a lot of players in a normal season, and there are real possibilities of outbreaks costing the team LOTS of players at the same time.

Isn't there a rule that a Corona outbreak doesn't count against the 60 man, I.e you can call up extra players to replace corona infected players?

• 2 weeks later...