Jake Burger Thread

ChiSox59

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Is the pain in the same leg as the surgeries? If so, that's VERY bad news.

It is and as explained earlier its not necessarily very bad news. It may actually be a good sign.

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Good luck with that. Lip has already made up his mind.

Dirty: I'll make it even easier for you:

Roll call:

Fulmer-bust

Hansen- mental bust

Burdi - bust

Burger - bust (because the guy can't stay healthy)

That's a great track record by the "brilliant" Sox drafting / scouting people.

Sorry when guys keep getting hammered or can't stay healthy that's BUST in my book until they prove otherwise, if they ever do. Burger has already lost 18 goddamn months of developmental time and there were some questions about his athletic ability even before he got hurt. Hey I hope the guy completely turns it around, makes it to the show and blasts 35 home runs a season.

But I'm not holding my breath and neither should you.

Carry on soldier. 😉

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I missed the part where it was explained, can you please repeat.

Typically the repairs that have 8ssues later in are because they are too tight. This causes the heel to not be able to contact the ground enough and the usual problems that occur are arch or toe issues. They fact that his heel us the issue shows he can get the heel down.

This isn't to say they can't be related it just makes it less likely and definitely not very bad news at this point.

17 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Burger was a fine selection where he was taken. I would have gone with a prep most likely but he was absolutely in that range. Some ridiculousness in this thread. 

I really wanted Pavin Smith or Adam Haseley. Once it actually got to the Sox pick, I wanted David Peterson or Alex Faedo.

Peterson is doing alright. Faedo is having a pretty sexy 2019 in AA right now. Even though I knew nothing about Burger prior to the selection, I still like his offensive profile. Just sucks he's been so damn unlucky with injuries so far. 

On 6/24/2019 at 10:38 PM, ptatc said:

Typically the repairs that have 8ssues later in are because they are too tight. This causes the heel to not be able to contact the ground enough and the usual problems that occur are arch or toe issues. They fact that his heel us the issue shows he can get the heel down.

This isn't to say they can't be related it just makes it less likely and definitely not very bad news at this point.

Thanks. OK then, we'll see when if ever this guy gets on the field to start playing.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

This is really odd. It shouldn't be that long for a bruised heel. These is something else going on. 

They've been saying "bruised" but no explanation offered for how he got such a bruise

35 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

I don’t think Burger will ever be the player he could of been at this point unfortunately 

This is Jared Mitchell part deux. A promising player whose career is derailed by injury before it could even get started. How many teams have had something like this happen to two position players in a decade? 

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is Jared Mitchell part deux. A promising player whose career is derailed by injury before it could even get started. How many teams have had something like this happen to two position players in a decade? 

Me so sad.

13 hours ago, ptatc said:

there many ways to get one   however none of them take 3 months to heal.

Right, so the lack of explanation paired with the implausibility of the recovery time makes me wonder what is being withheld

1 hour ago, TomPickle said:

Hope he was smart with his signing bonus.

Yep. Taking a look at this dude's twitter he seems to spend a lot of time watching movies, eating Dominoes Pizza, and playing video games. 

He is on the fast track to weighing 300 pounds in 5 years. 

On 6/29/2019 at 10:30 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I dont think it is as drastic as this. much of Mitchell's game was based on speed. a posterior tib tear is much more devastating to any player than an achilles issue but especially for one reliant on speed.

burger was never going to rely on speed  it's like when Ventura fractured and dislocated his ankle. the injury would have been devastating for a speed guy. with him you never knew the difference. 

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I dont think it is as drastic as this. much of Mitchell's game was based on speed. a posterior tib tear is much more devastating to any player than an achilles issue but especially for one reliant on speed.

burger was never going to rely on speed  it's like when Ventura fractured and dislocated his ankle. the injury would have been devastating for a speed guy. with him you never knew the difference. 

He might still end up an MLB player, but it won't be with the Sox and losing 2 years of development immediately out of college puts the odds against him ever getting there. He's going to be 24 years old during his first full MiLB season. 

Edited by Jack Parkman