Despaigne called up; Delmonico released; Fry to IL

ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Guess that means Delmonico or Adolfo to the 60 day? They'll need to clear a spot.

I don’t believe you can put a guy on the major league IL if they’re in the minors. Otherwise I see no reason those guys aren’t already on 60 day.  

Delmonico can probably be safely DFAd. No one is going to claim when when he’s hurt. They should be able to retain him. Plenty of other guys they could cut too. 

I doubt that any other MLB team would bring this guy up and not Cease. This tanking/losing on purpose is terrible. Maybe if Cease would have signed that contract offered to him this spring he would have been called up.

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I doubt that any other MLB team would bring this guy up and not Cease. This tanking/losing on purpose is terrible. Maybe if Cease would have signed that contract offered to him this spring he would have been called up.

This melodramatic narrative with Cease really needs to stop.

Nobody is losing on purpose - certainly not at this point. Cease has been in AAA for a grand total of 3 months. He still can't get his control down, he falls behind hitters, walks them frequently, jacks his pitch count up and hardly ever lasts past the 5th inning at that level. This is not some grave injustice. His progress is coming along fine and he's made progress in his last few starts. However, he is most certainly not dominating at that level. 

Not rushing a player who is still experiencing struggles early on into AAA is FAR from being an asinine thought process. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

Despaigne has one of the lowest ERAs in our minor league system.

His ERA in AAA is 3.34 over 60 innings and 11 starts. 

However, yeah... he's been a total gas can at the major league level over the past few seasons. 

3 minutes ago, Richie said:

Nobody is losing on purpose - certainly not at this point. Cease has been in AAA for a grand total of 3 months. He still can't get his control down, he falls behind hitters, walks them frequently, jacks his pitch count up and hardly ever lasts past the 5th inning at that level. This is not some grave injustice. His progress is coming along fine and he's made progress in his last few starts. However, he is most certainly not dominating at that level. 

Not rushing a player who is still experiencing struggles early on into AAA is FAR from being an asinine thought process. 

I agree but I assume you are not counting today's effort. 

I took a look at Cease's stats and he is just not ready. Its not like he is dominating AAA right now. The way people on the board talk about him you would think he is pitching like Giolito down there.

Plust my son and I are catching 2 games in Durham in 2 weeks and we really want to see him.

Edited by pmb0928

32 minutes ago, Richie said:

How many times has Carson Fulmer been brought up the last few years? How many times has he deserved to be called up? Most of the White Sox starting pitchers haven't been able to get anybody out. What would be the harm in bringing Cease up? Let him get his feet wet up in the bigs now. if he only pitches 4-5 innings each time he starts, so be it.  Cease would of been called up by most MLB teams by now.  As I stated before, if Cease would of signed the contract extension this past spring, I have no doubt that he would be pitching for the White Sox now.

44 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

How many times has Carson Fulmer been brought up the last few years? How many times has he deserved to be called up? Most of the White Sox starting pitchers haven't been able to get anybody out. What would be the harm in bringing Cease up? Let him get his feet wet up in the bigs now. if he only pitches 4-5 innings each time he starts, so be it.  Cease would of been called up by most MLB teams by now.  As I stated before, if Cease would of signed the contract extension this past spring, I have no doubt that he would be pitching for the White Sox now.

How many times has Carson Fulmer been brought up the last few years?

Irrelevant. 

How many times has he deserved to be called up?

Maybe one... 2017... but it's hard to say affirmatively that he ever looked good down there. 

Carson Fulmer is a classic case of why you may choose NOT to rush your pitchers up. Which is why I find your analogy here to be very puzzling. 

What would be the harm in bringing Cease up?

What GOOD does it do, exactly? Do you think an unfinished Dylan Cease product is going to turn this team into a World Series contender? What do we stand to win? I don't get it. 

As far as what we stand to lose. How is a potentially damaged psyche and setback (even ruined) career for you? He gets battered around like a pinball machine. His mechanics never develop as he's constantly pitching under pressure and in trouble. He winds up devolving and never recovering. Do you realize how rare a guy like Giolito is? To get utterly obliterated like he did upon coming up and then suddenly turn around to produce a Cy Young bid? More guys in his shoes like that wind-up like Carson Fulmer than the finished product he now looks like. 

Young pitchers are delicate. Why are you so intent on forcing him up before he's ready? Before this team is ready for a run? So we can MAYBE win 80 games instead of 77? That's if he actually performs well, I mind you. He could potentially be just as bad as what we have. 

Would you force your kid into advanced calculus classes before he's mastered basic algebra? Why? So he can feel like an idiot? 

Cease would of been called up by most MLB teams by now.

Quantify this... or please stop saying it. Show me where pitchers with Cease's reoccurring struggles are continually getting plucked up to the majors after 2+ months into his first AAA season to permanently fill a rotational spot. Good luck finding data which will support you. I suspect that you will need a whole lot of it my man. 

As I stated before, if Cease would of signed the contract extension this past spring, I have no doubt that he would be pitching for the White Sox now.

K

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, pmb0928 said:

I took a look at Cease's stats and he is just not ready. Its not like he is dominating AAA right now. The way people on the board talk about him you would think he is pitching like Giolito down there.

Plust my son and I are catching 2 games in Durham in 2 weeks and we really want to see him.

It's the backup quarterback fallacy rearing it's ugly head.

He's "the other option" - which looks good when your current option is failing. However, "other options" are usually just that for a reason. 

We stand to win nothing by rushing him. MAYBE if this team was in a legit "World Series or bust" mode and just lost a top end starter for the season. Then, yeah... I guess perhaps you fire every shot you have in the chamber. But for this team? It makes no sense. A rotation of Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Nova and then one of Covey/Banuelos/Despaigne is light years away from making noise. I like this team and maybe we can hang around .500... make this year fun. But come on...

7 hours ago, Richie said:

He's "the other option" - which looks good when your current option is failing. However, "other options" are usually just that for a reason. 

We stand to win nothing by rushing him. MAYBE if this team was in a legit "World Series or bust" mode and just lost a top end starter for the season. Then, yeah... I guess perhaps you fire every shot you have in the chamber. But for this team? It makes no sense. A rotation of Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Nova and then one of Covey/Banuelos/Despaigne is light years away from making noise. I like this team and maybe we can hang around .500... make this year fun. But come on...

Our shopping list for the offseason simply has to include 2 quality starters.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Richie said:

How many times has Carson Fulmer been brought up the last few years?

Irrelevant. 

How many times has he deserved to be called up?

Maybe one... 2017... but it's hard to say affirmatively that he ever looked good down there. 

Carson Fulmer is a classic case of why you may choose NOT to rush your pitchers up. Which is why I find your analogy here to be very puzzling. 

What would be the harm in bringing Cease up?

What GOOD does it do, exactly? Do you think an unfinished Dylan Cease product is going to turn this team into a World Series contender? What do we stand to win? I don't get it. 

As far as what we stand to lose. How is a potentially damaged psyche and setback (even ruined) career for you? He gets battered around like a pinball machine. His mechanics never develop as he's constantly pitching under pressure and in trouble. He winds up devolving and never recovering. Do you realize how rare a guy like Giolito is? To get utterly obliterated like he did upon coming up and then suddenly turn around to produce a Cy Young bid? More guys in his shoes like that wind-up like Carson Fulmer than the finished product he now looks like. 

Young pitchers are delicate. Why are you so intent on forcing him up before he's ready? Before this team is ready for a run? So we can MAYBE win 80 games instead of 77? That's if he actually performs well, I mind you. He could potentially be just as bad as what we have. 

Would you force your kid into advanced calculus classes before he's mastered basic algebra? Why? So he can feel like an idiot? 

Cease would of been called up by most MLB teams by now.

Quantify this... or please stop saying it. Show me where pitchers with Cease's reoccurring struggles are continually getting plucked up to the majors after 2+ months into his first AAA season to permanently fill a rotational spot. Good luck finding data which will support you. I suspect that you will need a whole lot of it my man. 

As I stated before, if Cease would of signed the contract extension this past spring, I have no doubt that he would be pitching for the White Sox now.

K

Excellent points. I would only add that he also only had a cup of coffee in AA. So his upper-minor league experience is very limited. 

15 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Cease didn't even make it out of the 1st in AAA yesterday. 

9 hours ago, Richie said:

I've read on this site and elsewhere that 2019 is another rebuild year. ( also known as tanking/losing on purpose) I would rather rebuild/tanking/losing on purpose with Cease as opposed to pitching Nova, Banuelos and Despaigne. You never know how Cease will do up in the Bigs until he's here. I think its already established how Nova, Banuelos and Despaigne are going to produce. I say its time to move on from these 3 bums and pitch Cease. Who knows, he might do well.

10 hours ago, pmb0928 said:

This is nonsense. Before yesterday's start he was the 2nd best pitcher in the entire international league. 

The league is averaging like 6.5 runs per team per game. Cease had been dominating. 

Dont scout the stat line solely. Adjust for league and park. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

• ChiSox59 changed the title to Despaigne called up; Delmonico released; Fry to IL