Despaigne called up; Delmonico released; Fry to IL

ChiSox59

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Syndergaard had an ERA near 5 in AAA before his call up. 

The run scoring environment he's in now is worse than pitching every game at Coors by like 30%

3 walks in 2/3 of an inning has nothing to do with the run scoring environment. It's more difficult to walk AAA hitters than major league hitters. He can use some refining. The one thing you used to point out he was dominating was his ERA. Now there are a few more doing better than him.

Edited by Dick Allen

11 hours ago, WBWSF said:

How many times has Carson Fulmer been brought up the last few years? How many times has he deserved to be called up? Most of the White Sox starting pitchers haven't been able to get anybody out. What would be the harm in bringing Cease up? Let him get his feet wet up in the bigs now. if he only pitches 4-5 innings each time he starts, so be it.  Cease would of been called up by most MLB teams by now.  As I stated before, if Cease would of signed the contract extension this past spring, I have no doubt that he would be pitching for the White Sox now.

Hi grammar police here. You and many others use " would of", or "could of" or "should of". Did your English teachers not teach you about contractions ? That's when you take 2 words and contract them into one word by deleting a few letters of the 2nd word and connect the 2 words using an apostrophe, For example: would have becomes would've.Used in a sentence,  " Cease would've been called up by now". Somewhere along the way would've, should 've, and could've, have been bastardized into would of, should of ,and could of, I assume because when you say it that's how it sounds.

God only knows I don't use perfect grammar and I am constantly editing my posts because of typos but I see that mistake so often it always made me wonder how or why it happens.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

50 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

3 walks in 2/3 of an inning has nothing to do with the run scoring environment. It's more difficult to walk AAA hitters than major league hitters. He can use some refining. The one thing you used to point out he was dominating was his ERA. Now there are a few more doing better than him.

His command hasnt been great of late, but once again it's a really tough environment to pitch and he had pretty much outpitched everyone in the league not name mitch keller. Now I guess maybe 2 or 3 guys are right there too.

His ERA and K-rate are the dominant parts. 

It's harder to prevent runs in that league than the big leagues for a young guy imo.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

12 hours ago, Richie said:

This melodramatic narrative with Cease really needs to stop.

Nobody is losing on purpose - certainly not at this point. Cease has been in AAA for a grand total of 3 months. He still can't get his control down, he falls behind hitters, walks them frequently, jacks his pitch count up and hardly ever lasts past the 5th inning at that level. This is not some grave injustice. His progress is coming along fine and he's made progress in his last few starts. However, he is most certainly not dominating at that level. 

Not rushing a player who is still experiencing struggles early on into AAA is FAR from being an asinine thought process. 

Only imagine how many cease sucks posts we will have........

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

If you dare to look at their minor league numbers, you’ll want to die too.

I just did. Very gross. 

It looks like Stephens is working his way back from a broken hand and Adams has a bad back or something. None of these guys have a future with the Sox it appears. 

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

Jesus christ 

Look at run prevention for top prospects in the PCL compared to the MLB the past decade. 

It has been more difficult to prevent runs in the PCL than the big leagues- especially for certain teams - for nearly a decade now.

Run prevention is, by definition, more difficult when the total runs scored is much greater than that of the big leagues.

No one is saying it's easier to be good (when compared to your peers) in the big leagues than it is to be good in the PCL. It's easier to prevent runs though which is why that league ERA is significantly higher than the average MLB ERA.

The average ERA in the IL right now is like 6. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Don't understand how Adams fell off the map so quickly but it happens to young pitchers he is now throwing at around 90 on his fastball no?

For the vast majority of pitching prospects, velocity peaks at a very young age (like 18-20). Adams ended up being one of those guys and he never developed any secondary stuff that was ++ when his fastball started to fade.

Adam's was disappointing for sure - I was rather excited about his ceiling following his first minor league season.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

For the vast majority of pitching prospects, velocity peaks at a very young age (like 18-20). Adams ended up being one of those guys and he never developed any secondary stuff that was ++ when his fastball started to fade.

Adam's was disappointing for sure - I was rather excited about his ceiling following his first minor league season.

Yup. It was a fine pick at the time. As you said, the secondary stuff isn't good enough and the fastball didn't gain any of the projected velocity. Such is life when dreaming on prep arms.

What is this?? I know we are going through a rebuild and we have to be patient......but with Covey going on the IL, I think it is time to bring Cease up. He's 23. He's not a baby. So we have to wait until he's 24 before we bring him up? Yes, he might very well get hit around when he first comes up, but let him get some experience with that THIS year, so next year he might be ready to be a solid major league starter. Because next year it's time to start contending. If they don't bring him up this year are we going to have to hear the "he's just getting his feet wet" next year? That should be happening now. So instead they just pick up garbage off the streets that 4 teams have already given up on in 5 years and stick them on a major league mound? Sorry, this one is in-excusable. And I don't want to hear he'll come up later in the year. What's to wait? So June is too early but August is OK?

9 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

What is this?? I know we are going through a rebuild and we have to be patient......but with Covey going on the IL, I think it is time to bring Cease up. He's 23. He's not a baby. So we have to wait until he's 24 before we bring him up? Yes, he might very well get hit around when he first comes up, but let him get some experience with that THIS year, so next year he might be ready to be a solid major league starter. Because next year it's time to start contending. If they don't bring him up this year are we going to have to hear the "he's just getting his feet wet" next year? That should be happening now. So instead they just pick up garbage off the streets that 4 teams have already given up on in 5 years and stick them on a major league mound? Sorry, this one is in-excusable. And I don't want to hear he'll come up later in the year. What's to wait? So June is too early but August is OK?

Cease pitched 2/3 of an inning yesterday, and was removed.  He was not an option for today.  

So what do we think the corresponding move will be today.

Almost certainly will be Vieira optioned to AAA for the 25 man spot.

But Sox need to create room on the 40 man. I do not believe guys on the minor league IL like Adolfo or Delmonico can be shifted to the 60 day MLB IL, so I believe somone will need to be DFA'd.  Options not on 25 man include Delmonico, Engel, Palka, Medeiros, Cordero and Stephens.

I will guess it's Delmonico, because I see very little chance he is claimed while he's out for the year, and he will be easily outrighted and retained in the org.  

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So what do we think the corresponding move will be today.

Almost certainly will be Vieira optioned to AAA for the 25 man spot.

But Sox need to create room on the 40 man. I do not believe guys on the minor league IL like Adolfo or Delmonico can be shifted to the 60 day MLB IL, so I believe somone will need to be DFA'd.  Options not on 25 man include Delmonico, Engel, Palka, Medeiros, Cordero and Stephens.

I will guess it's Delmonico, because I see very little chance he is claimed while he's out for the year, and he will be easily outrighted and retained in the org.  

Is it common for teams to DFA hurt players? I honestly can’t think of any team ever doing that. I feel like the MLBPA would be all over them if they did that to Delmonico.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Is it common for teams to DFA hurt players? I honestly can’t think of any team ever doing that. I feel like the MLBPA would be all over them if they did that to Delmonico.

I don't really think Delmonico's case is common.  For some reason they optioned him, he went to AAA but then never played.  Then a couple weeks later we heard he was out for the season without ever appearing in a game for Charlotte after he was optioned.  I would think generally when a player is hurt, they put you on the MLB IL, not option you.  It sounds like his surgery was optional, so perhaps that is why.  But still a little strange.  If he was on the MLB IL, the Sox could shift him to the 60 day to make space on the 40 man.  Since he is on the minor league IL, I don't believe they can put him on the 60 day.  

I would imagine if Delmonico got DFA'd he would not be the first minor leaguer on a 40 man but not an active MLB roster to get DFA'd when they get hurt and are done for the season.  But I guess we'll see.  If he was on the MLB IL, none of this would apply.  Which is part of the reason why what happened with Delmonico is interesting, and if you're into conspiracies, there may be more to the story than what is out in the public.  He also deleted all his social media accounts, and has had previous issues so who knows.  

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm about 99% sure you can not DFA an injured player until he is taken off the IL.

He is not on the major league IL.  I could be wrong, but I think that is the major distinction here.  If he were on the MLB IL, I agree. They also could just shift him to the 60 day IL to clear him from the roster, and then figure out what to do in the offseason. But since he is on the IL in AAA, they cannot do that (if my understanding is correct). 

Edited by ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't really think Delmonico's case is common.  For some reason they optioned him, he went to AAA but then never played.  Then a couple weeks later we heard he was out for the season without ever appearing in a game for Charlotte after he was optioned.  I would think generally when a player is hurt, they put you on the MLB IL, not option you.  It sounds like his surgery was optional, so perhaps that is why.  But still a little strange.  If he was on the MLB IL, the Sox could shift him to the 60 day to make space on the 40 man.  Since he is on the minor league IL, I don't believe they can put him on the 60 day.  

I would imagine if Delmonico got DFA'd he would not be the first minor leaguer on a 40 man but not an active MLB roster to get DFA'd when they get hurt and are done for the season.  But I guess we'll see.  If he was on the MLB IL, none of this would apply.  Which is part of the reason why what happened with Delmonico is interesting, and if you're into conspiracies, there may be more to the story than what is out in the public.  He also deleted all his social media accounts, and has had previous issues so who knows.  

He had a problem with adderal right?

• ChiSox59 changed the title to Despaigne called up; Delmonico released; Fry to IL