Despaigne called up; Delmonico released; Fry to IL

ChiSox59

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He had a problem with adderal right?

I don't recall all the details.  That may have been it, I just know he was suspended at one point, and I believe Baltimore released him due to it.  

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He is not on the major league IL.  I could be wrong, but I think that is the major distinction here.  If he were on the MLB IL, I agree. They also could just shift him to the 60 day IL to clear him from the roster, and then figure out what to do in the offseason. But since he is on the IL in AAA, they cannot do that (if my understanding is correct). 

Pretty sure this is all 40 man people. 

I remember this happening with Tolleson prior and I believe he was in AAA.

Honestly, if Delmonico cannot be DFA'd they should recall him and immediately place him on the MLB 60 day IL to create 40 man space.  Why would you DFA another player if you don't have to?  He cannot play this season and is taking up a 40 man spot for no reason.  At least with Adolfo, he's a legit prospect.  With Delmonico, chances are fairly decent he never plays for the White Sox again.  Very different scenarios.    

This is a fairly unique situation.  I know a good amount about MLB roster management and how it all works, but this is one situation that I am not 100% sure of the rules on.  I would love to hear from someone that is 100% positive on the rules in this situation and what options the Sox have.  

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Pretty sure this is all 40 man people. 

I remember this happening with Tolleson prior and I believe he was in AAA.

So MLB teams are required to keep a minor leaguer on their 40 man even if he is hurt and out for the season?  What happens if 6-8 guys in the minors but on the 40 man all got hurt in one season and are done for the year?  The team is basically working with a 32 man roster then? Farfetched scenario obviously, but I think there may be some gray area here. 

If you're right, the Sox should do what I just explained in the post above.  Recall Delmonico, place him on the 60 day IL immediately, then add Despaigne to the 40 man.  Why give away an asset if you don't need to? 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

So MLB teams are required to keep a minor leaguer on their 40 man even if he is hurt and out for the season?  What happens if 6-8 guys in the minors but on the 40 man all got hurt in one season and are done for the year?  The team is basically working with a 32 man roster then? Farfetched scenario obviously, but I think there may be some gray area here. 

If you're right, the Sox should do what I just explained in the post above.  Recall Delmonico, place him on the 60 day IL immediately, then add Despaigne to the 40 man.  Why give away an asset if you don't need to? 

Being unable to DFA an injured player is a protection for the players. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Being unable to DFA an injured player is a protection for the players. 

I mean I get it.  I just think the Delmonico situation is unique.  Why didn't they put him on the mlb IL a few weeks ago if he was hurt?  Why did they option him and then he had surgery before appearing in AAA after being demoted?  Its strange.  

If you're right, and you may be, the situation almost sucks more for Delmonico as he isn't cashing an MLB paycheck while he's out for the year. Obviously a grievance would be filed, but if this activity is allowed, why didn't the Sox option Kopech before his TJS, and then place him on the minor league IL to save service time?  Part of the issue is we probably don't know the whole story with Nicky, but the whole situation is weird.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I mean I get it.  I just think the Delmonico situation is unique.  Why didn't they put him on the mlb IL a few weeks ago if he was hurt?  Why did they option him and then he had surgery before appearing in AAA after being demoted?  Its strange.  

If you're right, and you may be, the situation almost sucks more for Delmonico as he isn't cashing an MLB paycheck while he's out for the year. Obviously a grievance would be filed, but if this activity is allowed, why didn't the Sox option Kopech before his TJS, and then place him on the minor league IL to save service time?  Part of the issue is we probably don't know the whole story with Nicky, but the whole situation is weird.  

The Sox may have another issue on their hand if he can prove the injury happened in the big leagues.

Kopech injury occurred in a big league game. I imagine the Sox believe delmonico's did not. If nicky can prove it did then he should be on the MLB IL 

Sox will have to DFA one guy to bring up Despaigne and Jay.

They will likely take Jay off 60 day IL and then shift Delmonico to the 60 day IL that's one spot.

For Despaigne, I would look to the 5 left-handed relivers on the 40 man. It might make most sense to cut Osich from both the active and 40 man roster.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

it's a nasty drug.  over prescribed IMO.  Easy to get hooked even when taken for legit therapeutic reasons.  hope he isn't relapsing.

Delmonico had shoulder surgery from what I heard. I think that's public. He's done for the year for sure. No reason to think he has issues with adderall from what I've seen.

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Delmonico had shoulder surgery from what I heard. I think that's public. He's done for the year for sure. No reason to think he has issues with adderall from what I've seen.

Yeah, I posted a thread on it. It's definitely public.

9 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Hope so, just know he's had issues in the past.    His social media deletion is odd.  Hopefully just frustration with his injuries.

16 hours ago, Richie said:

His ERA in AAA is 3.34 over 60 innings and 11 starts. 

However, yeah... he's been a total gas can at the major league level over the past few seasons. 

He never met Don Cooper so his career is just starting. 

17 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Sox will have to DFA one guy to bring up Despaigne and Jay.

They will likely take Jay off 60 day IL and then shift Delmonico to the 60 day IL that's one spot.

For Despaigne, I would look to the 5 left-handed relivers on the 40 man. It might make most sense to cut Osich from both the active and 40 man roster.

Maybe semantics, but can they shift Nicky to the 60 day IL when hes on the minor league IL?   

30 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox may have another issue on their hand if he can prove the injury happened in the big leagues.

Kopech injury occurred in a big league game. I imagine the Sox believe delmonico's did not. If nicky can prove it did then he should be on the MLB IL 

How did Delmonico sustain a season ending shoulder injury when he not appear in a game between being optioned and getting surgery?

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

How did Delmonico sustain a season ending shoulder injury when he not appear in a game between being optioned and getting surgery?

He was probably playing through it and after the pain and soreness got too bad got a scan and they discovered the tear.  You can do some athletic shit with a torn labrum, Rashan Gary has been playing football with one for a couple years.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He was probably playing through it and after the pain and soreness got too bad got a scan and they discovered the tear.  You can do some athletic shit with a torn labrum, Rashan Gary has been playing football with one for a couple years.

That is almost certainly what happened and really the only thing that makes sense with the Sox optioning him instead of placing him on IL. 

4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Not sure I find an addiction funny (which adderall easily can be).

I've got a buddy who has been on super heavy adderall since he was a kid.  Literally cannot live without it at this point.  Its kind of sad.  Maybe he actually (medically) needs it.....but I kind of think he is just purely addicted to it at this point. A few years back he got his bottle of adderall stolen when hosting a party, and the doctor wouldn't fill his prescription early, and he literally ruined a few close friendships playing the blame game because he wanted his drugs so bad.  Sad.    

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Thanks 1

• ChiSox59 changed the title to Despaigne called up; Delmonico released; Fry to IL