Despaigne called up; Delmonico released; Fry to IL

ChiSox59

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Look at run prevention for top prospects in the PCL compared to the MLB the past decade. 

It has been more difficult to prevent runs in the PCL than the big leagues- especially for certain teams - for nearly a decade now.

Run prevention is, by definition, more difficult when the total runs scored is much greater than that of the big leagues.

No one is saying it's easier to be good (when compared to your peers) in the big leagues than it is to be good in the PCL. It's easier to prevent runs though which is why that league ERA is significantly higher than the average MLB ERA.

The average ERA in the IL right now is like 6. 

I buy that he's a kid that needs to refine his control and they're closely monitoring his work load. If you're going to tell me that the PCL is a harder league to pitch in than the American League, well LOL. 

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He was probably playing through it and after the pain and soreness got too bad got a scan and they discovered the tear.  You can do some athletic shit with a torn labrum, Rashan Gary has been playing football with one for a couple years.

Toby Hall played over a year with one with us before he had surgery. 

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

How did Delmonico sustain a season ending shoulder injury when he not appear in a game between being optioned and getting surgery?

Bodies do weird shit. 

When I tore my ACL and meniscus, I played sports for 6 months before learning they were torn (I thought they were hyper extended). I only got an MRI because after barely twisting my right ankle (where the pain subsided after a day), my left knee swelled up. 

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Maybe semantics, but can they shift Nicky to the 60 day IL when hes on the minor league IL?   

That's totally fair question. I looked into and there's nothing saying you can't do it (from what I've seen). Also nothing too specific about this exact scenario.

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I believe Despaigne is not important enough for two incredulous threads that he is getting a start but that's just me

I was going to ask about this: can you guys do more thread merging?  It seems the board is as busy as it's been in years and too much concurrent discussion is happening.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I was going to ask about this: can you guys do more thread merging?  It seems the board is as busy as it's been in years and too much concurrent discussion is happening.

I merged them but I just want everyone to know I did it before I saw this so it had no influence.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, raBBit said:

That's totally fair question. I looked into and there's nothing saying you can't do it (from what I've seen). Also nothing too specific about this exact scenario.

I believe they'd need to promote him back to the bigs then immediately place him on the 60 day IL.  Which I am sure Nicky would be thrilled about (more $/more service time).  Just a bizarre scenario that doesn't play out too often.  For example, the Sox would never do that with Adolfo, but in Nicky's case I doubt the Sox care about the service time at all.  I guess we'll find out before too long as Nicky's 40 man spot is likely going to be needed between now and 8/1 IMO. 

5 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is nonsense. Before yesterday's start he was the 2nd best pitcher in the entire international league. 

The league is averaging like 6.5 runs per team per game. Cease had been dominating. 

Dont scout the stat line solely. Adjust for league and park. 

Great post. I wish more people would actually pay attention

• ChiSox59 changed the title to Despaigne called up; Delmonico released
  • ChiSox59 changed the title to Despaigne called up; Delmonico released; Fry to IL
20 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I buy that he's a kid that needs to refine his control and they're closely monitoring his work load. If you're going to tell me that the PCL is a harder league to pitch in than the American League, well LOL. 

Well, from a run prevention stand point it absolutely is. Maybe I have not defined my point well, and that's my fault, but it's harder to prevent runs in the IL and PCL this year than it is to prevent runs in the MLB. There are, overall, a lot more runs scored per game in those leagues. That means that ERA's in general are much higher, also meaning that allowing fewer runs is more difficult.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Well, from a run prevention stand point it absolutely is. Maybe I have not defined my point well, and that's my fault, but it's harder to prevent runs in the IL and PCL this year than it is to prevent runs in the MLB. There are, overall, a lot more runs scored per game in those leagues. That means that ERA's in general are much higher, also meaning that allowing fewer runs is more difficult.

Covey, Fulmer, Frare, Marshall, Osich, and Ruiz say you are nuts.

Per MLBTR on Delmonico discussion: 

Injured players can’t be run through outright waivers, so Chicago opted to simply release Delmonico to open the necessary 40-man roster spot. As noted at the time of his surgery, it’s commonplace to see teams release and then re-sign 40-man players who incur a season-ending injury while in the minors. That could well be the case here. Delmonico certainly has the right to explore other options, but as a player who’s fresh off surgery and won’t be ready to play until 2020, his appeal to a new organization will be fairly limited.

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hi grammar police here. You and many others use " would of", or "could of" or "should of". Did your English teachers not teach you about contractions ? That's when you take 2 words and contract them into one word by deleting a few letters of the 2nd word and connect the 2 words using an apostrophe, For example: would have becomes would've.Used in a sentence,  " Cease would've been called up by now". Somewhere along the way would've, should 've, and could've, have been bastardized into would of, should of ,and could of, I assume because when you say it that's how it sounds.

God only knows I don't use perfect grammar and I am constantly editing my posts because of typos but I see that mistake so often it always made me wonder how or why it happens.

Would of, could of, should of, would've, should've and could've. All I'm trying to say is BRING UP CEASE!!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, TomPickle said:

Let it be known that I take grave offense to someone named Odrisamer Despaigne being right handed. That is a lefty name if I have ever seen one in my life.

Probably why he sucks so bad, throwing with the wrong hand and what not

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, mqr said:

Sucks for it to end this way for Nicky, but it was going to have to happen eventually. 

You know, he was able to get a lot of time in the major leagues whereas had he been claimed by most other teams he would have never had the chance. This is a happy story even if he didn't produce at the level he wishes he could have.